A day in my pouch

I had a phone interview yesterday with my local paper about winning the Progresso Soup Contest. They asked me what I was looking forward to the most about going on the trip... was it the makeover, the shopping spree, the trip with my Mom, etc? You know I hadn't really thought about what this trip means to me till they asked but it hit me... I spent my childhood, teens, 20's obese and missed out on a lot of things because of it. I watched my life pass me by from a park bench. I actually had to quit a job when traveling became to difficult... cross country flights with no bathroom because I couldn't fit in it and the always horrifying need to ask for a seat belt extender. This trip for me just celebrates that those days are over and is kind of the icing on the cake of this wonderful weight loss journey. Thank you guys again for your votes and for "icing my cake."

Breakfast: Leftover Steamed Broccoli (made for Teriyaki Chicken Stir Fry) became this easy Frittata

Shelly's Broccoli Frittata

1 cup Cooked Broccoli, chopped
1 Green Onion, diced
3 Eggs, beaten
1 Tablespoon Parmesan, grated
1 slice Swiss Cheese

Saute onion and broccoli till slightly golden in an oven proof pan. Add eggs. When almost set sprinkle with Parmesan. Flip and cook till done, top with Swiss or top with Swiss and put under broiler for a few minutes to finish.

Lunch: Shrimp Cocktail. I use real cocktail sauce. I use real everything when it comes to condiments. I just don't slather and don't have issues. There are Sugar Free Cocktail Sauces (Walden Farms and Steel's makes them)

Dinner: I started this in the morning and Mmmm it made the house smell so good I was looking forward to it all day.

Shelly's Crock Pot BBQ Pulled Pork

One 2 to 3 lb. Pork Roast (Boneless Picnic Roast)
1 Yellow Onion, sliced
3 cloves of Garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon Seasoned Salt (Salt, Paprika, Garlic, Onion Blend)
a few twists of Black Pepper
1/2 cup Chicken Broth or Water
Olive Oil for sauteing
3/4 cup BBQ Sauce (I use a combo of two - one reddish & one darker)

Place pork roast in a stock pot and brown slightly on both sides about 3 minutes a side. Place in crock pot. Saute onions till slightly golden. Add garlic. Cook 1 minute. Sprinkle with seasonings. Pour over roast. Pour broth over roast. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or until very tender. When done, remove from crock pot, take two forks and pull the pork apart. Drain any juices (there will be a lot) Put meat back in crock pot and add BBQ sauce. Mix lightly. Cook 45 minutes more.

Again, I use the real deal BBQ sauce (a combo of Sweet Baby Ray's and a local company Bert's Barbeque Sauce) If you dump easily you might want to look for a low sugar or no sugar BBQ sauce but really with a 2-3 lb roast the BBQ sauce isn't a lot.

I served it with my super simple cole slaw...

Shelly's Super Simple Cole Slaw

1 (14 oz.) bag of Coleslaw Mix (green cabbage & carrots)
1/4 cup Fage Greek Yogurt
1/4 cup Mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
2 Tablespoons Cider Vinegar
1 teaspoon Celery Seed
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper

Mix. See I told you it was super simple. Tastes best if refrigerated for 1 hour before serving.

We ate it as is... YUM. Pre-op I used to make mini sandwiches for parties. Potato or Hawaiian Roll, Dollop of Pulled Pork, Dollop of Slaw. They were always gobbled up but you really don't miss the bun. Plus no bun = more of the good stuff.

Snacks: 2 scoops of Pistachio Protein Ice Cream, 4 SF Jordan Almonds, Oodles of Coffee.

Shelly's Pistachio Protein Ice Cream

2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Pistachio Pudding Mix, dry
1 cup Vanilla Soy Milk (or Regular Milk)
2 scoops Vanilla Protein Powder
1/4 cup chopped pistachios, toasted

Toast 1/4 cup of chopped pistachios for a few minutes in a dry pan. Set aside to cool. Mix together milk, protein, & pudding mix. I used this gadget to mix it up. It makes it airy and lump free. Pour into ice cream maker. Follow your machine's instructions for freezing. 5 minutes before done add the chopped nuts.

You can eat it right away it is soft serve-ish but I like to put it in the freezer to set for an hour. I made a double batch. If you double any ice cream recipe double everything but the protein powder. We can only absorb so much at one sitting and any over 2 scoops would be a waste. It won't effect the consistency.

Other Eggface Protein Ice Cream flavors