Friday, May 8, 2009

Cake and Ice Cream

A friend of mine came over the other day and had never tasted the magical 5 minute cakes. Of course I had to whip one up...

Shelly's Toasted Coconut Protein Ice Cream

1 cup Vanilla Soy Milk (or Regular Milk)
2 scoops of Vanilla Protein Powder
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Coconut Torani Syrup
2 Tablespoons of Unsweetened Coconut, toasted

Mix together milk, protein, and syrup. I used this gadget to mix it up. It makes it airy and lump free. If you don't have one just toss it in a blender on super high. You want it fluffy almost double in size. Pour into ice cream maker. Follow your machine's instructions for freezing. 5 minutes before done add toasted coconut.

You can eat it right away it is soft serve-ish but I like to put it in the freezer to set for an hour.

Shelly's 5 Minute Sugar Free Coconut Cake

1 Egg, beaten
3 Tablespoons Milk
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Coconut Torani Syrup
2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
3 Tablespoons Multigrain Pancake Mix (I use this)
2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Coconut, toasted
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Vanilla Pudding Powder, dry
1 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder
Pinch salt
1 - 2 cup Measuring Cup or Microwave Safe Mug

In a measuring cup or microwave safe mug, Mix egg, milk, syrup and oil and combine thoroughly. In a separate bowl, mix pancake mix, coconut, pudding powder, protein powder and salt. Tip dry into wet and stir till combined. Nuke in microwave for 2 minutes (my microwave is getting old and needs 20 seconds added now.)

Let it sit for three or so minutes (it pulls away from the sides) before tipping the cake onto a plate. Yields 4-5 slices.

I served a scoop of Toasted Coconut Protein Ice Cream on a slice of 5 Minute Sugar Free Coconut Cake with Sugar Free Land o Lakes Whipped Cream and a drizzle of Sugar Free Smucker's Caramel Sauce. My pal loved it.

Coconut not your thing...

More Eggface 5 Minute Cakes:

Shelly's 5 Minute Sugar Free Carrot Cake
Shelly's 5 Minute Sugar Free Chocolate Peppermint Cake
Shelly's 5 Minute Sugar Free Chocolate Raspberry Cake
Shelly's 5 Minute Sugar Free Lemon Cake
Shelly's 5 Minute Sugar Free Apple Cinnamon Cake (Nathan's Cake)
Shelly's 5 Minute Sugar Free Almond Joy Cake
Shelly's 5 Minute Sugar Free Banana Caramel Nut Cake (My Favorite)
Shelly's 5 Minute Sugar Free Black Forest Cake

More Eggface Protein Ice Cream flavors

Don't forget to enter the Click Giveaway (ends tonight at midnight PDT) Winner announced tomorrow.

and on-going Save 20% on Max Protein


Joni said...

Shelly, I love using your protein ice cream recipes. However, I get A LOT of the ice cream sticking to the sides. I hate to lose this yummy concoction to the walls of my Denai ice cream maker. Do you think some non-stick cooking spray would help? Or do I just let this bit of ice cream take one for the team?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

LOL :) I call it tastes for the cook.

You know a reader suggested cooking spray (if you do it let me know the results.) I really don't get much stuck (thinking soy milk might be the difference.) Be sure to start your ice cream maker and then add the mix so its turning while you pour it in.


Lisa said...

Shelly, I notice the torani syrups are 7.99 on Amazon, do you get a kick back from that....cause I can buy them from another online place for 4.99 on sale this week, same size! Whats the deal? How long do they stay fresh after you put them in the fridge or leave in the cupboard?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Watch the shipping costs. That's usually where they make it up. Amazon generally has a 3 bottle for $16 deal going and free shipping after $25 (most flavors) so it's where I get mine. Or locally I can get them at Bev Mo, Smart & Final, Cost Plus World Market.

Yes the blog get a few cents for amazon sales purchased through the links on the page. Helps to pay for the blog extra bandwidth :)

They last indefinitely. Cool, dark pantry is best.

tarheelwife2001 said...

I tried the Max protein powder in vanilla. I honestly did not like it. It has a strage after taste for me. I am going to try and use it in recipes with other ingredients that hopefully will cover up the taste.

JamieLynn said...


I so want to make your ice cream, but I have tried several protein powders and have dumped on every one. Do you think I could make the 5 minute cake or the protein ice cream without protein powder? Do you have any suggestions? I can eat Pure Protein Bars, but I am extremely sensitive and I am over a year out. Thank you for this website and all that you do!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Jamie,

If you eliminate the protein powder it would have to be more multigrain pancake mix (or flour) you add. Very different nutritional values though. More of a "treat" I think.



Bummer. Well you are truly the first but you know one man's yummy treat is another's monkey's ass.


Darcy said...

Could you give me the calorie count for your little cakes? I would love to make one but I count my calories so I need to know how many calories there are.

Michelle "Shelly" said...


I don't put the nut info on my recipes because... nutrition facts can vary so widely... on my plan I use full fat cheese, full fat mayo, butter, olive oil, others may use low fat cheese or horrors that non fat toxic waste, what percentage % fat of beef, etc. Plus serving size can vary what I eat as an almost 3 year post-op is a very different amount than a 3 month, 6 month, or 4 year post-op. The numbers would swing like a pendulum.

On this recipe for example if you use whole milk versus soy milk versus skim milk the nut stats are VERY different.

What I do when I need to find the nut info is go to type in each individual ingredient, add those totals and divide by the # of servings I get from the dish.

Hope this helps,

Ryan & Crystal said...

Ok so I made this coconut first 5 minute cake...and OMG!!! so freaking good! I <3 you! :) Crystal

Mommy2Jude said...

If I don't have multi grain pancake mix, but instead Atkins baking mix, would that work as a substitute?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Probably. Let me know how it goes.