Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Nathan's Cake

I went to an unofficial OH gathering this weekend. Met a lot of wonderful people and spent time with good friends.

My friend Michele was there with her beautiful grandchildren. Nathan her grandson is a big Eggface blog reader and has helped his Grandma make lots of my recipes. I told him I would make a cake in his honor so here it is...

Shelly's 5 Minute Sugar Free Apple Cinnamon Cake

1 Egg, beaten
3 Tablespoons Milk (I used Vanilla Soy)
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Caramel)
2 Tablespoons No Sugar Added Applesauce
2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
3 Tablespoons Multigrain Pancake Mix (I use this)
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Tablespoon Pecans, chopped
1 Tablespoon Raisins
1 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder
Pinch salt
1 Measuring Cup or Microwave Safe Mug

In a measuring cup or microwave safe mug, Mix egg, milk, syrup, applesauce and oil and combine thoroughly. In a separate bowl, mix pancake mix, cinnamon, nuts, raisins, protein powder and salt. Tip dry into wet and stir till combined. Nuke in microwave for 2 minutes. Let it sit for three or so minutes (it pulls away from the sides) before tipping the cake onto a plate. Yields 4-5 slices.

I topped it with Land O Lakes Sugar Free Whipped Cream, a drizzle of Smuckers Sugar Free Caramel Sauce and some chopped nuts.

Oh I had this Q the other day...

Q: What size measuring cup do you use for your 5 minute cakes?

A: I use a 1 cup and a 2 cup. I mix the dry ingredients in the 1 cup and the wet ingredients in the 2 cup. I tip the dry into the wet and mix. The cake gets nuked in the 2 cup.

Highlights of the day:

* I took advantage of the gorgeous weather (92 degrees) and went for a long walk. Ipod blaring. Good to get the heart pumping. I need to focus on exercise and things that make me feel good more. I've been treating myself like crap lately (in more ways than one) and that is not OK. I deserve better treatment.

* This cake is soooo Fall. The house smelled wonderful while it was cooking.

* Now. Music. Coffee. Chatting with a very cool friend who helps me put stuff into perspective and makes me laugh.

Listening to: "Dirty Little Secret" The All-American Rejects


Anonymous said...

Hi Shelly,

You are the sweetest person ever!!! Nathan will be so excited. You may want to tell Jeremy to watch out. I think Nathan wants to marry you!!!

You are awesome!!! Thanks from Nathan and myself... We're going to make the Nathan Cake this weekend.

BYW...I love you mom, she is so sweet!!! Now I know where you get it from. Tell her HI!!!


Michelle "Shelly" said...

Yay! I hope you guys enjoy it.

My Mom loved you too.

After the holidays we're doing something.


fighting diabetes said...

hi there, just came across with your blog and i saw your cake. thanks for sharing this one out. Ived been looking for sugar free desserts that me and my family would love to enjoy! Your post greatly helps a lot!


Michelle "Shelly" said...

Welcome janna,

I've been on a bit of a dessert roll lately so if you like this one be sure to check out the past month or so... SF chocolate almond joy cake, pumpkin souffles, lots of goodies.

:) Hope you visit often.


Tanya said...

OMG this looks yummy! I cant wait to make it!


ladyquenn said...

This Apple Cinnamon Cake is the second recipe we have tried. Tonight my family loved it. We didnt have any whipped crean )sugar free or otherwise) so we made a topping of greek yogurt, cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar free caramel syrup to put on top. My family has decided that we are going to systematically work through all your recipes. If you did a cookbook I would get it. Plus you are giving us ideas for our own flavors to try.

12 days and counting till my RNY.

unewillow said...

I've made a couple of your cakes but this one is by far my favorite :)


littlesky said...

Normally I make a lemon blueberry cake for my birthday. This year 2012, I am making Nathans cake. Sounds so good. Yum!!!

Anonymous said...

My husband and I both had sleeves placed. I just made this cake. You are a genius. Never thought we could still have a dessert and stay on plan. Thank you and don't stop.! Jeanne