Monday, January 19, 2009

Mint to be together

Chocolate and Mint. I can't get enough of the combo lately and it's been awhile since I made a 5 minute cake. I heart them when I need a quick sweet fix. Cake in 5 minutes you can't beat that?!

If you haven't made one of these... it's like a weight loss surgery friendly Easy Bake Oven cake. Kids think it's magic. So if you have children or grandchildren making one of these cakes with them is a MUST DO.


Shelly's 5 Minute Sugar Free Chocolate Peppermint Cake

1 Egg, beaten
3 Tablespoons Milk (I used Vanilla Soy)
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Peppermint)
2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
3 Tablespoons Multigrain Pancake Mix (I use this)
2 Tablespoons Cocoa
1 scoop Chocolate Protein Powder
Pinch salt
1 Measuring Cup or Microwave Safe Mug (I use a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup)

In a measuring cup or microwave safe mug, Mix egg, milk, syrup and oil and combine thoroughly. In a separate bowl, mix pancake mix, cocoa, protein powder and salt. Tip dry into wet and stir till combined.

Nuke in microwave on full power for 2 minutes* adding 20 seconds if still wet on top. *Microwaves vary and mine is getting old so I just recently upped the time these cook to 2 minutes and 20 seconds on mine. Let the cake sit for three or so minutes (it pulls away from the sides) before tipping it onto a plate. Yields 4-5 slices. You can serve it warm or I love these cakes when they cool I think they taste even more chocolatey.

Top with SF Chocolate Syrup, SF Whipped Topping and Crushed SF Candy Canes, Chocolate Mint Candies or grated SF Andes Mint Chocolate.


More Eggface 5 Minute Cakes:

Shelly's 5 Minute Sugar Free Carrot Cake
Shelly's 5 Minute Sugar Free Chocolate Raspberry Cake
Shelly's 5 Minute Sugar Free Lemon Cake
Shelly's 5 Minute Sugar Free Apple Cinnamon Cake (Nathan's Cake)
Shelly's 5 Minute Sugar Free Almond Joy Cake
Shelly's 5 Minute Sugar Free Banana Caramel Nut Cake (My Favorite)


Highlights of the Day:

* Took my Mum to a Mexican Bar/Restaurant down the street to watch the Steelers game. Really nice crowd. We had a blast drinking Hefeweizen and eating fajitas and killer refried beans. I ran into our awesome fix-it guy from my old school. Who just kept saying things like, "Oh my God, you look beautiful" and "what an amazing change" which made me feel great especially since I wasn't feeling too beautiful or amazing lately. It was a fun night and the Steelers won so I know my pal Erin will be partying.



* Ohhh I've been meaning to mention... for those of you that have been looking unsuccessfully for Max Protein Powder (the only protein powder I use well besides Click Espresso Protein) the company is now selling it on their website.

I use Chocolate or Vanilla Max Protein in all my protein shakes and smoothies, protein ice cream and baking. You can use any protein powder you prefer though most will work fine.

* Right now. Fuzzy blanket. Listening to tunes. AIMing with fellow insomniac pals. Sipping a cup of Candy Cane Cocoa. See I told you I can't get enough of the chocolate mint combo.

Listening to: "Dare You To Move" Switchfoot

13 comments:

Tara said...

Yum! The perfect early morning breakfast. I'm munching one right now. I was out of my souffles and these are much quicker (and I was hungry NOW!) It's like a mint brownie. I used sugar free peppermint paddy syrup from davinci - it's a mint chocolate flavor and added a tablespoon of sf mini chocolate chips. Thanks for the early morning inspiration! Love the pic of you and your mum!

Cindy said...

I am afraid to try these cakes...my addictive behavior would surely kick in immediately! I tell people that is why I never tried any drugs...

gutsinarut said...

I've been dying to try one of these cakes. Though I agree with the poster above, I think my inner-addict will come out of hibernation if I make these!

Oh, and it's funny that you compare them to Easy Bake Oven cakes...I have fond memories of getting impatient with these when I was a kid and just eating the mix. Good stuff...

Michele Helms said...

I love your blog...just found it although I have seen you no mm's blog. You look amazing!

Anonymous said...

Dear Michelle,
I just wanted to tell you how beautiful both you and your Mom are!!! Both of you just sparkle!
On an unrelated rant:
For some reason my hair, which used to be long (past my waist) and thick and straight, is now short and part curly and part straight.. it is HORRIBLE - well, my point (yeah, I'll get there) is that your hair looks so pretty in all your pics. You always sound so unbelieving of your beauty, and I can tell you, you ARE so pretty! You don't need some guy to tell you that - ( ok, that's nice too...) but you are. Sheesh, take a good long look.... and believe.
Tara from MI (it's 2 degress today....brrrrrrrr)

Melting Mama said...

Mom is beautiful. HI EGGY MOMMA! What does that make her? A souffle?

:)

(You too.)

But kiss mom for us.

Robert said...

Hi there,

As a bodybuilder with an enormous sweet tooth I must categorically say your website is AMAZING!!!

But, I wanted to ask you whether you were aware that many people believe whey protein and heat do not mix. i.e. you are destroying the protein by nuking it?

Just wanted to know if you had a stance on it or whether you've discussed it with the company that supplies you protein.

Cheers from London, England...

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Robert,

Thanks glad you found the blog. You know I've heard lots on the topic and here's my take... do I think I am getting the full amount of protein grams stated on the side of the tub after I cook it... no. BUT... I cook eggs, beef, chicken, turkey, fish, etc. and I don't really give the degradation level of the protein much of a thought. So scientifically is it a little less than it could be sure, probably but... eh... I figure it's still more protein and less crap than in a Hostess Ding Dong (do you have those across the pond?)

I read a great study that claims freezing it does nothing BTW. So if you are checking out my protein ice cream recipes that's the latest 411 on that.

Thanks for the lovely compliment. Cheers to you (I'm 1/2 Brit BTW - my Mum, Sis & Bro all born in England)

~Michelle "Shelly"

Teresa said...

Michele,

I just have to say Thank You, Thank You, Thank you! I'm about six months into my RNY journey and have used so many of your tips and recipes. I just love the fiesta bites and all of the protein ice creams!

But now that my "honeymoon" stage is ending and the weight loss is slowing, (85# so far, 60 to go for goal!) I come to your site more to read your blogs and know I'm not alone as I learn ways to live long term with my new and improved self.

It's scares when I realize how easy it would be to slip back into old habits.

You are a fabulous tour guide on this journey of living as a former fat chick! Your wit, humor, and inner and outer beauty is inspiring!

Thank you for sharing and supporting.

Teresa in Michigan

ilyssa said...

Hi! I just made this for my sister (a follower of yours) for her b-day. I added greek yogurt mixed with SF chocolate syrup and turned it into a layer cake. Thanks for the super simple recipe!

Carina said...

I just made this for my Mom's birthday tonight. I had the WLS, but she has been trying to lose weight as well, so this was a wonderful treat for us both. Thank you so much for all your creative inspirations!!!

Tish said...

Do you have nutrition information for the protein cakes?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hi Tish, Here's how to find the nutritional information on mine (or anyone else's) recipes:
http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/p/links-resources.html