Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Lemon Cake in 5 minutes

The chocolate version of this is soooo awesome I wanted to try a version for the non-chocolate cake lovers. I prefer the chocolate version but this was a nice change after 3 days of Chocolate Cake experiments.

Shelly's 5 Minute Sugar Free Lemon Cake

1 Egg, beaten
3 Tablespoons Milk (I used Vanilla Soy)
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Vanilla)
2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
3 Tablespoons Multigrain Pancake Mix (I use this)
3 Tablespoons Sugar Free Lemon Pudding Mix, dry
1 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder
Pinch salt
1 Measuring Cup or Microwave Safe Mug

In a measuring cup or microwave safe mug, Mix egg, milk, syrup and oil and combine thoroughly. In a separate bowl, mix pancake mix, pudding mix, protein powder and salt. Tip dry into wet and stir till combined.

Nuke in microwave for 2 minutes. Let it sit for three or so minutes (it pulls away from the sides) before tipping the cake onto a plate. Yields 4-5 slices.

I topped it with Sliced Strawberries and Sugar Free Whipped Cream and a Drizzle of Sugar Free Strawberry Topping. I also sampled some with a drizzle of Simply Fruit Orange Marmalade. Yum!

Highlights of the day:

* We will be giving away oodles of cool swag at the LA Event. Want a sneak peek of the killer Click Gift Baskets?

The ONLY way to win these babies is to come hang out in LA with Melting Mama and I. Are you going?

* LA OH Event location has a Starbucks attached to the building and a Pinkberry (for Sarah) a block away. Score.

* It's my pal Jeremy's Birthday. Happy Birthday J.

Listening to: "Hit Me Baby One More Time" It's Britney, b*tch.


Anonymous said...

Hey Shel--- question-- is there any possible low fat substitution for the Canola? 132 calories for a spoonful of anything drives my brain batshit. I know, oil is oil is oil-- but I was wondering-- maybe (I know, shivver)- low-fat mayo?

apayne said...

I loooooooove your blog. You have the booomb recipes. I am 2 months post-op and I will definitely try them when I can. Thanks a bunch!!!!!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

TY apayne :) Congrats on your surgery!!

Anon: Yeah I'd try the mayo or maybe applesauce or mashed banana. Might be denser... I'll try an alternative one of these days. LOL you do know I am the Canadian Canola Oil Queen ;)


Flying Sarah said...

Yea!!! I'll be a Pinkberry virgin no more!

Scott said...

You always inspire me! I tried a version the other day using pumpkin! There is a nice fall crispness in the air, and I thought pumpkin would work...It Did!!!

Taunia said...

Hey Shelly....great recipe, thanks! :) Also, I just wanted to let you know that I gave you a shoutout in my video (but I goofed on the name- oops) and in the info version of my latest video. I wasn't sure if you have a youtube channel, but wanted to give you a shoutout either way.


Thanks for the great recipes!


Anonymous said...


Love your blog soooo much. Is there a substitute for protein powder? I'm 11 mos. post-WLS and have never found a protein powder I like.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

anon: if you eliminate the protein powder protein powder add 1 more T of pancake mix. PP dissolves so 1 T seems to replace the bulk... obviously it becomes a less healthy treat with it gone.

scott: oh yeah that is one of the next ones.

sarah: woot 8 days

beth said...


I'm linking to this today. :D

Freddie said...

Love the chocolate cake! It has a fabulous flavor and it really fills me up like no other cake ever has! I make coffee protein ice cream and sandwich it between thin slices. One the ice cream melts into the cake...well...you know the rest of the story!!! Good girl devours delicious treat!!!! Thanks for your blog. Love it! Mean it!

melinda said...

I deleted the canola, and used the splenda sweetened applesauce.. However, the cake ended up being a little dry... and nonsweet. I needed to probably add 1 tblsp splenda... perhaps another tblsp of applesauce so its not so dry?

Anonymous said...

is there a way to make it in the oven? i tried twice in the microwave and both times the middle didnt get done, so it was soggy. stupid microwave. its old...anyway - can i do this in the oven?

lunawillow said...

Hey there the gift basked looks great!!! Loo forward to seeing you soon at the event!!

Rona said...

Shelly, I want to enter the contest for the ice cream maker. Thank you for doing this and for the wonderful recipes. I wish I was going to LA but finances....

Anonymous said...

I would love to win and good luck to all. ReneeW

Lizzybear said...

Thanks for the awesome recipes. I use the chocolate cake and protein ice cream together to make ice cream sandwiches. I just tried the lemon cake with frozen strawberries & whipped cream in the middle! Yum! Can't wait to see you and MM in LA!!!

Anonymous said...

I hope this is the write place. I would love to entry the drawing to win. I will to in LA on saturday only. Please let me know if this is wrong. I will try again.

Luana Ball
AKA: Living Life

Marsha said...

I love your recipes, especially the "bites". Glad I found your blog.

Marsha Darden
Opelika, AL

Amanda Lail said...

OMG i made an awsome tasting lemon rubber tire... it went sooooo wrong lol help!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Amanda, Sounds like it cooked too long. Microwaves vary. Deduct 20 sec and try it again. It is a dense cake though.


Amanda Hinojosa said...

I just wanted to say I love your recipes. I changed it around a little and used 1 TBSP olive oil and then chocolate pudding, chocolate caramel protein and caramel torani SF syrup. It was FANTASTIC :) Thank you