Weight Loss Surgery Post-op Starbucks Survival Guide

Going to coffee was a pre- weight loss surgery treat for me. I was so happy that I didn't have to give up my treat as a post-op. Of course I'm not drinking my pre-op Venti Caramel Macchiato with extra caramel and whipped cream. Even without the extras I was consuming 390 calories, 43 grams of carbs, 39 sugars a pop. What was I thinking?!?





My current yummy order is a Grande (sometimes Hot, sometimes Iced) Sugar Free Vanilla Soy Latte with No Whipped Cream. FYI: A Latte is espresso, steamed milk, and foam, and is not sweetened unless you ask for syrup or add sugar/sweetener to it.

Starbucks has a lot of choices that are do-able for us. Disclaimer: I know some Dr.'s are anti coffee (can cause ulcers, dehydrate you, LOL kill you... for me 66.5 Lattes = Death. I think I'll be good.) Stick with your Dr.'s plan but if you are allowed a Cup o' Joe...


Bariatric Surgery RNY Gastric Bypass Sleeve VSG Choices Food Coffee Drinks

Here's some general info that I think will help the weight loss surgery post-op survive Starbuck's:

* Starbuck's has sugar free syrups (SF Vanilla, SF Cinnamon Dolce, they used to have more: SF Caramel, SF Hazelnut, at one time even SF Gingerbread but sadly have eliminated them Grrrr: tell them you want them back) the sugar-free syrups add great flavor and sweetness and contain no calories at all. The regular syrups can easily add 100+ calories to your drink. Please don't send me emails about artificial sweeteners and my impending death from them... "they can pry my SF Latte from my cold dead fingers" will be my reply ;)

* The Skinny on "Skinny Lattes" The Skinny Lattes are made with a default of non-fat milk, the SF Syrup of your choice and no whipped cream. This new terminology did nothing for me since I'm a soy girl! They also now have almond milk and coconut milk.

* Instead of whipped cream which is about 80 calories of fat, just add some extra foam to your coffee.

* You can order decaf but decaf doesn't mean it's caffeine free. If you need a decaf protein packed choice: Celebrate Vitamins makes a decaf coffee protein powder.

* I personally would steer clear of Frappuccinos even the light ones aren't the greatest choice.

If you must have a frosty drink here's a couple of protein packed wls friendly Faux Frappuccinos you can make at home. BTW: you could use regular milk I'm just a soy milk girl.

* The dreaded Bakery Case: in the immortal words of Dionne Warwick "Walk on by."  

Starbucks Survival List Eggface Healthy Food ChoicesThis blueberry muffin is sad because it's 430 calories. Please don't eat me! 


See this post for Some OK food choices.

Other Starbuck's Drink Options: 

Teavana Shaken Iced Passion Tango or Black Tea (Unsweetened or you can add SF Vanilla)
Caffè Americano (Unsweetened or you can add SF Vanilla, Add Milk)
Iced Coffee (Unsweetened or you can add SF Vanilla, Add Milk)
Tea Latte (Ask for SF Vanilla instead of the default Classic syrup)
Steamers (just steamed milk and add SF Vanilla or SF Cinnamon Dolce and a dash of cinnamon from the milk bar)
Water ;)

**Update 2016 Limited Time Holiday Offering: Hot or Iced Skinny Peppermint Mocha (default Nonfat milk, SF Peppermint Syrup and Skinny Mocha Sauce)