Wednesday, August 8, 2007

A product review and recipe

I tried Trader Joe's Chicken Chile Verde the other day and was sort of disappointed. Not in the flavor. It was really yummy. The texture however was much more watery than I thought it would be. I decided though that it would make an excellent base for a Mexican Chicken and Bean Stew.

Verdict: It was awesome.

Here's what I came up with for tonight's dinner:

Shelly's Mexican Chicken and Bean Stew

1 Chicken Breast, boneless, skinless, diced
1 Onion, Diced
2 cloves Garlic, minced
4 small Zucchini, sliced
1 can Diced Tomatoes (I used S&W diced)
1 can Cannelini Beans, drained
3 cups Chicken Broth
1 package Trader Joe's Chili Verde (defrosted slightly)
Olive Oil

Mexican Cheese
Sour Cream

Brown chicken in oil. Set aside. Brown onion. Add garlic and zucchini and saute 5 minutes. Add Chicken, Tomatoes, Beans, Chicken Broth, Chili Verde package contents. Simmer on low 45 minutes with lid on.

Top with cilantro, sliced avocado, cheese, sour cream and a squeeze of lime as desired.


Carla said...

I want to eat that! It looks so good!

Annoying Lizard said...

86 the avocado and double the sour cream and cilantro.. and I'm there!! Woohoo!

Kylie said...

I've boughten the chicken chile verde stuff a few times. I always add more brown rice *frozen at TJ's* and more chicken "Just Chicken also at TJs" always so so yummy. Thanks for the new idea of what to do with the stuff!