Saturday, July 7, 2012

A day in my pouch

My yesterday in post weight loss surgery eating...

Breakfast: Made a batch of Protein Granola (it's basically my CLICK'n Granola but using any protein powder) this time I used Vanilla Protein and instead of cinnamon I used Pumpkin Spice. When it was cool I sprinkled a handful on some Greek yogurt (sweetened with Sugar Free Torani Syrup and a dash of Pumpkin Spice)

Shelly's Protein Granola

1/3 cup Oatmeal, dry
1/3 cup Sliced Almonds
1/4 cup Pecans, chopped
1 scoop Protein Powder (your favorite flavor this time I used Vanilla)
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon (or this time I used Pumpkin Spice)
3 Tablespoons Sugar Free Torani Syrup (your favorite flavor, I used Sugar Free Vanilla)
2 Tablespoons Almond Butter
1 Tablespoon Butter

Mix together with a fork till clumps form. Sprinkle clumps of the topping onto a baking sheet (I lined it with foil for ease of clean-up) and bake for 20 minutes at 350. Allow to cool. When cool store in sealed container for several days.

Makes a yummy crunchy topping on Sugar Free Pudding and Custard, Greek Yogurt, Protein Ice Cream, fruit or on its own. Place a little in a snack size Ziploc for an on-the-go snack or breakfast.

Lunch: Turkey Burger and Tomato Salad (sliced tomatoes, oregano, basil, mozzarella cheese)

Shelly's Turkey Burger

3/4 pound (about 1/2 a package) Ground Turkey
1 Egg, beaten
1/4 cup Oatmeal, dry
1/2 teaspoon Oregano
1 Teaspoon Bagel Spice (basically it's poppy seeds, minced onion and garlic, white and black sesame seeds, caraway seeds and salt)
a few twists of Black Pepper

Mix all ingredients together. Divide into 4. Shape into patties. Saute in pan (I use a little olive oil or Pam) till golden brown. Flip and continue to cook till cooked through.

Dinner: Sat outside on the patio, under the electric stars and conducted a Gouda taste test. The other day when I near the beach I stopped in a Whole Foods and as usual couldn't resist the cheese section. I always leave with 2 or 3 to try. It just so happens they were all varieties of Gouda. The cheeses: UnieKaas Vintage Grand Ewe, Robusto, and (my fav) Yodeling Goat Gouda with some nuts, sliced apple and cucumber.

Frugal $ Tip: instead of getting the pre-cut packages of cheese which are usually too large a quantity for us weight loss surgery altered chitlin peeps to consume, ask them to cut a tiny lump (under 1/4 lb) of whatever you want.

I usually get 2 or 3 different cheeses to take home and try and spend less than one large piece would have been.

Snacks: Too much coffee, samples at the "Costco Buffet" (an inch of Italian Sausage and Hot Dog) they were closing up samples usually us weight loss surgery post-ops can score a free lunch at Costco ;) it was late in the afternoon and I decided to buy another fan. We have had a mild summer so far but I hear that is about to change. This fan is for the garage where Charlie my cat likes to hang out. Oh and I drank about 1/2 of an Oh Yeah RTD Ready to Drink Strawberry Protein Shake.

post signature


Anonymous said...

As I called up your site this morning, I remembered that I dreamt last night that I met you - we swapped recipes. So weird. Maybe someday. Love your recipes. Going to make that granola this week.

Anonymous said...

Hi Shelly, the protein granola sounds really good....after this heat wave we're having passes and I can tolerate having the oven on again, I am going to give it a try! I've never seen the "oh yeah" protein drinks around here, but did run across their small protein bar and it was very good. Shelly, I had surgery last August and every time I have my follow up's with my GB surgeon he asks me "so are you glad you had the surgery now"? I was very unsure about having it and told him afterwards I regretted going through with it (the pain was, for me, terrible) BUT the last week has convinced me it was well worth it: I am in the mid-atlantic region and we had severe wind storms a little over a week ago and lost electricity for 7 days, that in and of itself was not pleasant BUT the temperature has been at or over 100 degree almost every day of the outage!! I really do not think I would have survived if I had not lost 120 pounds in this past year and gotten off of all my medication, including 4 or more shots of insulin every day!! sorry for rambling on..... please keep providing us the yummy recipes and advice! and You are a great inspiration!


Merrill said...

I tried the Bird's Custard Powder banana strawberry trifle, but it did not get very thick as it set. Should it be, or can it be cooked to the consistency of pudding when it sets? Any hints? I'm really enjoying your recipes, also bought cuisenart ice cream maker, made chocolate ice-cream, next is lemon.

Tess said...

Hey there Shelly,
Is there anything I can substitute the Sugar Free Torani Syrup for in the granola? Unfortunately, most sugar free things I can't do :( due to the sucralose or aspartame in them (as it triggers my migraines). Thank you for your help!!!
-T Reynolds

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Try it with Agave Tess (or whatever liquid sugar sub you use) it shouldn't be a problem... watch the baking time. Some brown at a lower/higher temp... not sure how the storage maybe either some soften when cool some get harder.

Torani is Splenda (sucralose) sweetened

Anonymous said...

Shelly, most Whole Foods have a bin for the "odds and ends" cheeses--they're usually small bits that are under $3 or $4. I love to take home a bunch of different ones to try. Look for that or ask the cheese guy next time!

Robyn said...

I made your protein granola today. It is wonderful and smells so good while baking! My kids came out from their rooms and wanted to know if I was making cookies! I even got them to try it and they liked it (normally they hate granola). Will be a definite addition to my regular baking so I can always have it available for my yogurt and snacking.

Stephanie O. ( luvtwilight72) said...

Love the protein granola !!!! Just made more to add to my yogurt this week:)