Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Casserole under the electric stars

I made a casserole tonight. A variation of my Chicken Dijon Casserole. I didn't have zucchini so I added more mushrooms and I used leftover chicken from the roast chicken I made for dinner last night (which is also seasoned with thyme so it was perfect). It was a great use for leftover chicken. The sauce kept everything moist. I will definitely do this again.

Shelly's Chicken Dijon Casserole (Mushroom Version)

1 1/2 cups cooked Chicken, cubed
1 Yellow Onion, diced
3 Green Onions, diced
1 cup fresh Mushrooms, quartered
2 cloves Garlic, diced
1/2 teaspoon dried Thyme
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
1 Tablespoon Butter
2 Tablespoons Flour
1 cup Chicken Broth
1/2 cup Sour Cream
2 Tablespoon Dijon-style mustard (I use Grey Poupon)
1 cup cooked Broccoli, chopped
1/4 cup Parmesan, grated
1/4 cup Italian Shredded Cheese Blend (I use a 4 cheese blend mozzarella, fontina, asiago, parmesan)
Olive oil

Saute onions and mushrooms till golden. Add garlic cook 1 minute more. Add seasonings. Make a well in the center of the pan. Add butter and flour. Cook 1 minute. Add broth and bring to a boil. Add sour cream and mustard, stir all together. Stir in Parmesan. Add chicken and broccoli and stir to coat. Pour into a Pyrex casserole dish top with shredded cheese. Bake for 30 minutes till bubbly.

I ran errands today and went to appointments all boring and definitely not blogworthy but damn if I didn't forget one of the things on my list to pick up... another set of twinkle lights. I think I'm getting old. I swear if it's not written down it is doomed. I currently have 5 post-its stuck to my computer... stuff I need to do, email, ideas for recipes, songs to download, etc. If a breeze carried my post-its off I'd be screwed. Speaking of? Have you seen this? How men use post-its. Looks like if a breeze carried this guy's post-it away he wouldn't be screwed ;) anymore at least.

Anyway... I strung commercial twinkle lights under my metal gazebo thingee the other night and I need one more strand to complete the project but of course I came home never stopping at Lowe's. I love my "electric stars." We eat dinner outside a lot and I love to go out there after work and just meditate. It's nice to not have the blaring flood lights on. I'm sure it's more cost efficient too.

Here's a pic of my incomplete project:

Highlights of the day:

* I got tons of things accomplished (despite forgetting Lowes.)

* Nasonex seems to be working at keeping my allergy attacks bearable. The other day I thought I was going to gouge my eyes out.

* 27 Dresses came out on DVD. I heart my Romantic Comedies.

Listening to: Better than Ezra "Breathless"


Sara said...

I love your "electric stars"!! My parents did that with our umbrella too, but unfortunately a squirrel got to the fabric and tore a huge ass hole in the top. The umbrella go bye bye bye :(

And I forgot about "27 Dresses"!! Need something else to keep the old noggin occupied while recovering from surgery on Friday. I will definitely have to pick that up along with the box o Luna bars that Target has on sale this week.

I'm also meaning to make one of your recipes for my family. Just haven't had that burst of ambition yet, lol. It will come. Hopefully ;)

Barb Del Piano said...

Now were talkin' atmosphere! I like that alot! JUNGLE STARS!!

Naked Ambition said...

27 Dresses was great! I watched it Saturday night. Even Mr. Man thought it was good!

Your recipes look fabulous! I look forward to the opportunity to make them. I know they seem like quick and easy recipes, but with working 12 hour days and then trying to get my house market-ready... who has time to cook anything that has real thought.... or even shop for ingredients? I have 2 more bariatric appointments before approval for surgery comes through. Starting June, I'll be on the cooking bandwagon. I look forward to rearranging recipes to fit my new needs!

Thanks for keeping me inspirated.


batiekall05 said...

I made this casserole last week and it was FABULOUS!!! I will definitely be making this again in the near future. (Probably going to add the zucchini this time.) I also have two more of your casserole recipes baking as I type this. Can't wait to try those too!!

Being only 5 weeks out you're an inspiration for me! Thank you for that!!! Keep the great recipes coming! :0)