Saturday, May 28, 2011

Breakfast with a Hottie. Dinner with Ducks

Having a nice weekend so far. Hope everyone is too. I hit the Farmer's Market this morning to pick up a few things. On the list for sure were strawberries and blueberries so I could make a batch of my Red, White & Blueberry Strawberry Cannoli. I also got some zucchini (gonna grill those tomorrow), some Mexican squash (a casserole this week), white peaches (soooo sweet, might grill them but they might not make it to the grill before they get eaten), yellow onions, a huge red onion (chopping up and roasting it tomorrow), not pictured 3 beautiful artichokes and 4 corn I forgot in the car.

I stopped for coffee at Starbucks and made goo-goo eyes at the most gorgeous male specimen I have ever seen. Seriously. Crystal blue eyes. Brown, shiny, rock star locks. Killer smile. I left my laptop open to my web stuff so he could read it. So if you did... email me or I'll be back next Saturday, same time, same bat channel ;)

After hottie rock star left, I did too. I ran a bunch of errands. Post office, bank, Costco (cheapest price on my Silk soy milk and hothouse cucumbers), came home and knocked a couple of things off my to do list then this evening I decided to bring dinner to the lake near my house.

It was a beautiful day today, sunny, breezy, 70's. Lawn chair, reading material, and my super cool bento box dinner...

Pink Box (top left): Shelly's Pizza Bean Salad V2
Green Box (top right): Cherries
Blue Box (bottom left): Just the Cheese Crunchy Cheese - Grilled Cheese flavor
Orange Box (bottom right): Shelly's Red, White & Blueberry Strawberry Cannoli

Made a yummy variation on my original Pizza Bean Salad based on what I had on hand...

Shelly's Pizza Bean Salad Version 2

2 (15 oz.) cans Cannelini Beans (White Kidney Beans), drained & rinsed
1/3 cup Pepperoni, chopped (I used mini slices)
2 Mozzarella Cheesesticks, chopped (I had some fresh mozzarella to use up)
1/4 cup Olive Tapenade (find in deli department/olive bar or make it)
1 Cucumber, sliced
3 Roma Tomatoes, chopped
2 Tablespoons Pesto Sauce (storebought or homemade)
1 Tablespoon Fresh Basil, chopped
1/2 teaspoon Oregano
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
2 Tablespoons Fruity Vinegar (Champagne, Citrus, etc.)

Mix all ingredients together.

The many duck friends that came to check out my bento dinner...

Wishing you all a safe & relaxing Memorial weekend. Thank you to the men & woman serving our country, past and present, for your (and your families) sacrifices.

post signature


Jacquie said...

I am making your salad to bring to a cook-out today! Thank you for the idea. I am having my band removed and revision to VSG on 6/17 and I am addicted to ALL your recipes!

Your WLS journey has been a major inspiration to me and I thank you for continuing to post so far out. I see you were originally from LI, so I am! We are in Ormond Beach FL now but our family is still in Yaphank and East Moriches. Where were you from?

Also, which Silk Vanilla do you use? The light of the regular. I bought one that was 100 calories, is this light? Anyway, I tried it for the first time in coconut protein ice cream and it was amazing! Thank you again!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Jacquie, Awww Thank you! Hope it is enjoyed by all. Hey, it's a small world... I'm from Center Moriches :)

I use Silk Regular Vanilla... I don't have issues with the sugars in it. I prefer the taste. The most I drink of it at any one time is in a protein shake. Mostly it's a splash in coffee & tea. It seems to work the best in protein ice cream too.

banded bella said...

I love the clever way that you let the "Hottie" know who you were and good luck I hope you get a good response from him....

Nkara said...

I am so jealous... were you live is beautiful. I live in RI and the weather isn't always nice.

Say hi to Mr. Rock Star for me too :)

Anonymous said...

I've been following you for 3+ years. I had RNY Oct. 2007 and have you have been a part of my life all that time. You are an inspiration and have helped me maintain my 5'7 130 frame for the last three years. I'm writing this only to tell you that YOU were the "hottie" at Starbuck's today and I hope you know it. You are the living testimony that it can be done with lifestyle changes and determination. Everyone likes to tell you about people that the RNY didn't "work" for them. You are living proof that you can "work" your RNY just like any other of life's desires, but back to you, SMOKIN!!!!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

That made my day! Thank you.

Stacy said...

I do hope the hottie contacted you! Salad looks great! Think I am going to try it this weekend.

Anonymous said...

What do you do for work Shelly? :) Just curious because you never mention it.

Love your blog!


Michelle "Shelly" said...

Stacy, Nothing via email darn it but I'm going back Saturday :)


Hey Melissa, Thank you :) I've mentioned it a few times but basically I have 2 degrees, Political Science and Child & Family Studies, was aiming for law school (child advocacy) but life dealt me a different set of cards. I have worked in both those fields (love them both) but for several years I've been working for a friend who runs a catering company, I do her office/computer stuff but every now and then she lets me play with food ;)

Nica said...

I hope Mr. Rock Star goes back on Saturday! I married a rock star, sometimes they're a little slow. It took a month for him to call me! I also want to thank you for your wonderful recipes, it makes living with my VSG a whole lot better. Your chick pea patties are so addicting, I make them every other week it seems!

Anonymous said...

i love this salad. i had it for lunch today and a protein bar like half hour later!

Anonymous said...

I made your pizza bean salad for my play date/mom's lunch on Friday. It was a big hit, I'm the only one that has had RNY in my group but everyone loved the salad. It was delicious. Thanks for sharing all of your lovely recipes.

mustangslly said...

Just wanted to let you know how much I love your recipes. I'm not very creative in the kitchen, but my family thinks I am when I make one of your fabulous recipes!

Anonymous said...

I want to say this is a most inspiring and honest look at weight and the struggles around weight that I have seen. Thanks much for it. Cheryl-