Happy National Cherry Dessert Day!

In honor of National Cherry Dessert Day. Seriously, it is... Google it ;) I made Cherry Crumble for dessert.


Shelly's Cherry Crumble

1 cup Cherries, fresh or frozen, defrosted are fine
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (any flavor, I used SF Vanilla)
Optional: 1 teaspoon Jello Instant Pudding Mix, dry

Mix together and divide equally into ramekins like this or into a small Pyrex dish for a large one. I prefer portioning them. If you want you can sprinkle a little dry SF Jello pudding mix on the fruit to make a thicker sauce from the juices that expel during cooking.

Topping
1/3 cup Quick Oats, dry
1/8 cup Sliced Almonds
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
2 Tablespoons Erythritol
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (any flavor, I used SF Almond)
1 Tablespoon Butter

Using a fork (or fingers) work the mixture till it resembles crumbs. Sprinkle over fruit mixture. Bake 30 minutes at 350. Cool and refrigerate.

You can eat them warm or cold topped with Sugar Free Whipped Cream, Sweetened Ricotta or Greek Yogurt (makes a great breakfast and boosts the protein content), or topped with Protein Ice Cream (Mmmm Black Cherry Protein Ice Cream would be yum on this). I sat on the patio and ate mine chilled with Sugar Free Whipped Cream on top.

I changed up the topping a bit from my normal topping because I wanted to use a bag of Erythritol I had on hand and I was missing a few of my normal ingredients. Erythritol is a sugar substitute but unlike a lot of the other sugar substitutes it doesn't normally cause the gastric effects that some other sugar subs are known to. It resembles sugar in consistency and taste but has a caloric value near zero, it's derived from corn. It doesn't brown or caramelize like sugar but it seems like a neat baking ingredient. I'll mess with it some more and let you know my final verdict but so far, so good. I could barely lift my fork to eat it though. I used this pruning tool doohickey today to cut down palm tree fronds. My arms feel like a wobbly bowl of my Fluff Stuff which, by the way, would have been another yummy dessert to celebrate National Cherry Dessert Day.

post signature