Weekend Wrap Up

The weather was gorgeous high 70's, we even hit 80 yesterday. I hear the temps are going to drop again but I took full advantage while I could. Saturday hit the Farmer's Market. Got a great haul... a few baskets of those super sweet strawberries (I've frozen some for protein shakes & smoothies,) peppers, onions, leeks, zucchini & summer squash, several varieties of apples, and a bunch of cilantro & dill.

After the market, I went for a super long walk. I had just put some new songs on the iPod, Katy Perry, Train & The Script, kept me going and going. Sometimes I still can't believe I was this girl on the pier. Thankful.

Later that evening I packed my super cool bento box with dinner and brought it over to the park to eat.

Pink Box (top left): Shelly's Quickie Meatballs and Puttanesca Sauce
Green Box (top right): Shelly's Strawberries & Cream Protein Muffin
Blue Box (bottom left): Shelly's Pizza Bean Salad
Orange Box (bottom right): Sugar Free Peppermint Patty (found them at Rite Aid)

Shelly's Pizza Bean Salad

2 (15 oz.) cans Cannelini Beans (White Kidney Beans), drained & rinsed
1/3 cup Pepperoni, chopped (I used mini slices)
2 Mozzarella Cheesesticks, chopped
1/4 cup Black Olives, sliced
1/4 cup Marinated Mushrooms, drained
1/2 cup Roasted Green Pepper, chopped
4 Artichoke Hearts, non-marinated, chopped
2 Tablespoons Pesto Sauce (storebought or homemade)
2 Tablespoons Sun Dried Tomato, diced
1/2 teaspoon Oregano
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
2 Tablespoons Fruity Vinegar (Champagne, Citrus, etc.)

Mix all ingredients together.

Party Foods Potluck RecipesChill for several hours and toss before serving.

Also in the bento was a yummy protein muffin. A yummy dessert that night but more often they are my on-the-go breakfast combined with a protein shake...

Healthy Breakfast On the go Fitness Workout Low CarbShelly's Strawberries & Cream Protein Muffins

1 Egg, beaten
3 Tablespoons Milk
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Vanilla or Strawberry Torani Syrup
1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
2 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Strawberries (about 2 berries)
3 Tablespoons Multigrain Pancake Mix
2 Tablespoons Almond Meal/Flour
1 scoop Strawberry Protein Powder
Pinch salt
1 batch of Shelly's Cream Filling

Mix egg, milk, syrup, strawberries and oil and combine thoroughly. In a separate bowl, mix pancake mix, almond meal/flour (coffee grinder + almonds = almond meal/flour. Meal = almond skins on, Flour = blanched), protein powder and salt. Tip dry into wet and stir till combined. Pour into a non stick 12 cup mini muffin pan that has been sprayed with Pam. Place a dime sized dollop of cream filling in the center of each muffin.

Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or till golden. Makes 12 moist, delicious, mini muffins.

Shelly's Cream Filling

1/4 cup Ricotta Cheese
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Vanilla Torani Syrup

Mix till well combined. Any extra can be smeared in the center of muffins after cooking or is also great on sliced apples.

There's no real recipe for Shelly's Quickie Meatballs and Puttanesca Sauce they are that easy. A go-to meal when I don't have a lot of time. I just nuke Frozen Turkey Meatballs in Rao's Marinara (the only jarred sauce I use) with a dollop of Olive Tapenade to taste (1/2 cup green & black olives, a Tablespoon of capers, a roasted red pepper whizzed in the mini food processor, keeps in the fridge for days and days) and sprinkle with Parmesan.

Here's the view from the park. The closest we get to snow in my neck of the woods.


Apparently there was a big game on Sunday? ;) I watched a bit. The last quarter. There were snacks too because that is the best part. I wish I enjoyed football I just can't get into it, maybe if I understood it more. I get the basics... 4 chances to gain yardage, touchdowns, but the roles of the players confuse me... tight ends, sounds really good but what do they do? I like ice hockey. Forwards, defense, goalie. Easy. I went to the mall for a bit then came home ate Patty Melt Bites and Deviled Footballs and waited for the special super bowl Glee episode. Which did not disappoint. The Valentine's Day (aka Single's Awareness Day) episode is Tuesday.

Hope everyone had a nice weekend.