Thursday, February 24, 2011

A day in my pouch

My yummy post weight loss surgery day of eating...

Breakfast: You guys know I don't do pasta, rice, bread, white potatoes, crackers, or chips post weight loss surgery (my choice) but good complex carbs are still a big part of my diet (for energy, lowering cholesterol, "necessary" fiber if you know ;) what I mean) I just get them from things like veggies, fruits, and foods like oatmeal instead of the useless white stuff and I try and balance my day through meal planning. This was breakfast...

Umpqua Not Guilty Oatmeal No added sugar or salt. Naturally sweetened with apples, blueberries, flax and chia seeds. I added 1 packet of Splenda. Very yummy. Click here to locate a store near you that carries it.

It would be absolutely perfect for post weight loss surgery traveling. Comes in a paper container, you fill it with hot water, put the lid back on and let it steep for 2-3 minutes. So on a plane... perfect. Toss it in your carry-on and ask for hot water when the beverage cart comes round. Sure beats the $7 snack boxes full of poor choices.

Lunch: Made a protein shake. I have a chest freezer I seriously need to defrost very soon, so I'm trying to reduce stock a bit. It's basically filled with frozen fruit. When cherries and strawberries are super cheap I always grab a bunch and freeze them for my protein shakes and smoothies.

Shelly's Peanut Butter & Cherry Protein Shake

1 cup Vanilla Soy Milk (or Regular Milk)
1 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Vanilla Torani Syrup
1 Tablespoon Powdered Peanut Butter (aka Peanut Flour, PB2, defatted Peanut Butter)
1/4 cup Cherries (fresh or frozen)
2-3 cubes of Ice

Whiz in blender till smooth. Top with a squirt Sugar Free Land o Lakes Whipped Cream, optional.

Dinner: Made one of my favorites Philly Cheese Steak Casserole. Nom.

Snacks: Oodles of coffee, a bag of Crunchy Cheese and I'm back on a Fluff Stuff kick. Love this stuff. You remember Jello 123 from the 80's... it's basically like that but better. I made a Lime and Mango version and ate a dollop of it during Top Chef.

Shelly's Margarita Mango Fluff Stuff

1 cup Boiling Water
1 box (4-serving size - the small one) Sugar Free Lime Jello Mix
3 1/2 oz. (half a small container) Greek Yogurt (I used 2% Fage, Plain)
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Vanilla Torani Syrup
1 1/2 cups Mango, chopped (fresh or frozen, defrosted)

Pour boiling water slowly over jello mix. Stir till dissolved. Set aside.

Mix yogurt & syrup together till well combined. Add to Jello mixture. Beat with an electric mixer till well combined. I use this gadget.

Place in fridge for 1 hour. Remove from fridge and beat again for 5 minutes till fluffy. Fold in fruit. Put back in fridge and allow to set fully (about 2 hours)

I served a scoop with a squirt SF Whipped Cream. You can use any fruit (fresh, frozen defrosted or canned drained), any Jello flavor, any Torani Syrup flavor.

A pretty darn tasty day.

post signature


Gastric Bypass Chick said...

Mango Fluff looks amazing. I really need to try some of your recipes. All of them look wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Your Fluff Stuff looks yummy. I'm going to try that. And I have to tell you I tried the Crunchy Cheese from Amazon after you posted about them last time, and I love those little things. Good thing they're packaged in those little portion-controlled packages. Your website is great. Thanks for sharing all your tips and recipes with us, and your great sense of humor. :)

Teresa said...

nice blog!!!

Darlene @ Connecticut Gastric Bypass said...

I agree with you it was a tasty day...this is what I call the good stuff, and made of healthy things,yey..I can truly say you enjoy preparing good food,love the colors, they remind me I'm alive and still enjoying food,yey again

Anonymous said...

The Umpqua Oats look great! And the cafe next to my gym stock it, I can't wait to try them :)

Carrie said...

I had a whole bag of frozen rhubarb leftover from this summer. I didn't know what I was going to do with it. Trying strawberry/rhubarb fluff tonight.

Anonymous said...

This looked like a very good eating day...Love those oatmeal thingys...I am going to order some since there are no stores in E PA all Pittsburgh area and only one in NJ. This is a great breaky idea...I never know what to do in the am and cannot do a protein shake that early.

Love the fluff stuff too...great since the weather is finally getting warmer!