Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Cool New Product Alert: Peanut Flour

For those of you that have been unable to find PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter locally or didn't really want to buy 4 jars at a time online there's a wonderful facsimile now available at Trader Joe's though the name of it may throw you off.

Baker Josef's Peanut Flour

It is defatted, finely ground roasted peanuts. The ingredients list: Roasted Peanuts. That is all. There is no "flour" in it. The flour is referring to the texture (cornstarch-ish.)

It comes in a 1 lb. brick (like coffee sometimes comes in) I found it near the baking items, not near the peanut butter. Price: $3.49

Nutritional Facts

Serving Size 1/4 cup
Servings Per Container
Calories 110 Calories from Fat 35
Total Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrate 8g
Sugars 2g
Protein 16g

Verdict: Mmmm. This is GREAT stuff. A nice way to get the peanut butter taste and protein in shakes without adding a lot of fat. Mix in protein shakes and smoothies, pudding, yogurt, sprinkle on top protein ice cream.

Shelly's Peanut Butter Cup Protein Smoothie

8 oz. Vanilla Soy Milk (you can use ANY milk or milk/water combo. I'm a soy girl)
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I use SF Vanilla)
1 Tablespoon Powdered Peanut Butter (aka PB2, aka Peanut Flour)
1 scoop SEI Max Chocolate Protein Powder
3-4 Ice Cubes

Add liquid, ice, then powders and blend on high.

Here's a few other Eggface ways to use powdered peanut butter:

Shelly's PB&J Protein Shake
Shelly's Peanut Butter & Jelly Protein Ice Cream
Shelly's 5 Minute Peanut Butter & Jelly Cake
Shelly's Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Protein Ice Cream
Shelly's Peanut Butter Yogurt Dip
Shelly's Peanut Butter Caramel Yogurt Dip
Shelly's Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Fudge
Shelly's Peanut Butter & Jelly Mini Muffins

23 comments:

T2Nashville said...

Oh, YAY! I have a Trader Joe's trip planned tomorrow after work!

MoLawEd said...

Brilliant! I've seen this around, but didn't realize it was basically the same thing as PB2 and FitNutz. Definitely will purchase. Thanks for the tip!

Banded Girl said...

As soon as I make it through my three and a half jars of PB2, I'm going to go get this! Thanks for the heads up!

Theresa said...

Thank you for posting this. I love peanut butter but I have not seen the PB2 in my area but I have 2 Traders Joes!

Sandy said...

Thank you so much for this!I love using PB2 and am so happy to see another product that is easier to get. I had to wait for 2 months to get my PB2 order last time as the company ran out of product.Really put a crimp in my Smoothie regimen.=)

Suze said...

Why don't we have a Trader Joe's here? Why????? (or Whole Foods or any place worth anything...stupid boonies...)

Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} said...

what a great find! I love that they removed the fat :)

MacMadame said...

I have PB2 (I can buy 1 jar at expressmetabolics.com) but it has sugar in it as well as peanuts. This sounds better.

leendadll said...

BLISS.... I love PB but am supposed to give it up due to being diagnosed with "fat intolerance". Now, maybe, I can bring it back!

Nkara68 said...

awesome! I have a trader joe's near me but I've never been. I'll have to buy some and try it.

battynurse said...

Good to know. I had just bought and received the 4 jars of PB2 but it's good to know this is available for future reference.

Anonymous said...

Will have to pick this up! Have you ever created a spicy Thai peanut sauce? I've searched but can't seem to locate one. I did locate lots of other peanut things that I'll be trying though.

Thanks!

Unbreaded said...

Funny–I ate at a Gordon Ramsay restaurant the other day and had peanut butter powder sprinkled around a very not-low-carb ice cream, and I thought it was the heavenliest, the most creative, something I'd never be able to do myself. But now I can and WILL.

Thanks!

Dawn said...

Hi Shelly, I have been making your "bites" as I am 2+ months post op. I'm so frustrated that they keep sticking to my pan. Bought a new mini muffin pan, used olive oil to avoid sticking...and they did NOT just pop out. HELP! What do you suggest?Thanks!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Dawn, A few tips that help me... Non-stick mini muffin pan and Pam spray works great for me.

Don't over fill. If they rise over they could stick on the top part that isn't sprayed.

Watch them in the last 5 minutes. Oven heat can vary and overcooking can cause sticking too.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

I did a side by side taste test on the Peanut Flour & the PB2 and it's a great replacement.

Anonymous said...

Thank you SO MUCH for posting about the Peanut Flour. I love your site. And, you look fabulous! :)

Lisa said...

Hi Shelly! I picked this up yesterday at Trader Joe's. When I got home I was had a surprise waiting...my MAX protein had been delivered! Woo-hoo...I had searched all over Boston but couldnt find it so I broked down and ordered online...not a bad deal, buy 2 get 1 free plus the "eggface2010" coupon. I tried it and I LOVE IT!!! FINALLY a protein that has flavor! Thank you so much! I hope you truly know that you are such an inspiration and your recipes and tips help so many get through journey a little easier. Have a great weekend!!!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say that I tried this and I LOVE it. I could even eat the flour plain! It kinds of melts in your mouth....

Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

I picked this up and mixed it into my salad dressing today for some extra protein. It was delicious on salad with a little basil.

geokatgirl said...

Hey thanks Shelly !

Because i read this post I was on the look out for peanut flour at our Local Low carb Grocery... saddens me to say we are TJ free in Canada.

I am going to give it a whirl and compare it with PB2 which has been in a staple in our house since surgery 16 months ago.

Fabulous Find !!!

Anonymous said...

Absolutly love peanut flour. Tried it in smoothies,oatmeal,and yoguart. I'm thinking of turkey chili.Anyonther try that and have suggestions?
Wendy

Anonymous said...

Wow -- I am 4 days post-op, and I'm already looking for ways to boost the flavor and protein in the full liquids I'm currently on. This is a GREAT reason for a trip to Trader Joe's this weekend, along with a chance to get in some additional walking. I discovered your site today, and I just know I'll be relying on your recipes and ideas for years to come! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! ~Betsy