Tuesday, March 9, 2010

National Crabmeat Day - Low Carb Crab Cakes & More

Today is National Crab Meat Day and since you know I wave the goober flag proudly and must celebrate all bizarre holidays... this was my yummy lunch.

These would make a great party appetizer or lunch or dinner with soup or salad. I ate them on their own with a dollop of homemade tartar sauce.

Low Carb Protein Weight Loss Bariatric Friendly Recipes Food Menus
Shelly's Mini Shrimp & Crab Cakes

1 Yellow Onion, diced
1 Yellow Pepper, diced
2 Green Onions, diced
1 (6 oz.) can Crab Meat, drained
14 Medium, Cooked Shrimp, diced
2 Eggs, beaten
1/4 cup Almond Meal/Flour
2 1/2 oz. Herb Goat Cheese (1/2 a small log)
2 Tablespoons Fresh Dill, chopped
a few twist of Black Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
Olive Oil or Pam for sauteing

Saute onions and peppers till golden. Set aside to cool. Mix remaining ingredients together. Add cooled veggies and mix till combined.

Spoon into a greased (Pam works great) mini muffin tin.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes until golden. To reheat: toaster oven or regular oven works great or nuke them.

Serve with Shelly's Homemade Tartar Sauce

3 oz. Fage Greek Yogurt
2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
3 Tablespoons Sweet Pickle Relish (hot dog topping stuff)
dash Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper

Whiz in a mini food processor till well combined. Serve with fish, crab cakes, shrimp.

So Happy National Crab Meat Day everyone! I have a new respect for crab since watching the show "The Deadliest Catch" if you haven't seen it. Check it out on the Discovery Channel.

Wanting to celebrate? Here are some other Eggface crab recipes:

Shelly's Mexican Crab Cocktail
Shelly's Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
Shelly's Crab & Shrimp Bake
Shelly's Roasted Veggie & Crab Casserole
Shelly's Foo Rangoon Bites
Shelly's Crab Rangoon Dip
Shelly's Italian Crab Bites
Shelly's Crabby Corn Cakes
Shelly's Corn, Crab and Black Bean Salad
Shelly's California Roll Salad

14 comments:

HappyLoser said...

Oh these crabcakes look delicious. I am proud to say that I bought my first mini muffin pan last night and will be making some bites (not sure which ones) tonight. Your blog just might save me...I'm about a month and a half out and haven't had an appetite at all! I've barely eaten anything. (Mostly do to some medical issues) Anyways, I just wanted to tell you that thanks to your wonderful recipes I am so excited to be getting back in the kitchen! Thank you so so much for the inspiration.

Dena said...

I just bought my mini-muffin tin, too! The only problem is I bought a 12-mini-muffin tin. How long does the batter last in the fridge? Have you ever made and frozen it? Do you have a nutritional breakdown for this recipe? If not, I can try to make one when I make it and I'll send it to you.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

You guys will have a blast with your tins.

Dena, Hmmm I would thing it would be fine for a day or so in the fridge. I'd just make them up and freeze them. Defrost in fridge and reheat in oven. I do that with bites all the time. I might slightly undercook them by 5 minutes so when they reheat they will be perfect.

Though I usually have the nutritional info I don't post info on my recipes because... nutrition facts can vary so widely... on my plan I use full fat cheese, full fat mayo, butter, olive oil, others may use low fat cheese or horrors that non fat toxic waste, what percentage % fat of beef, different brands of product or protein, etc. Plus serving size can vary what I eat as a 3+ year post-op is a very different amount than a 3 month, 6 month, or 4 year post-op. The numbers would swing like a pendulum. I let people do their own math.

***

FYI for blog readers: You can figure out nutrition information to any recipe (mine or others) by going to a site like fitday.com

Go to a clean day (one you haven't entered items on)

Enter each individual ingredient you have used

The total # of cals, carbs, proteins, fats will be given

Take those totals and divide by the # of servings you get from the dish.

Hope this helps,
~Michelle

Di said...

Yummmmm...crabcakes are a favorite of mine! Yet another Egg Face creation to add to the list of "things to cook."

Dena said...

Thanks, Shelly! I'll try to calculate the nutrition for the whole batch. Then I can figure out the nutrition for one and go from there.

Linda said...

Oh my goodness Shelly you have made a Bite lover out a me ... I made the green bites and my 18 year old just loved them. I'm sure my freezer is going to be full of many differant kinds a bites thanks to you. Thank you for your Blog I am a true reader and a friend for life !!!
Thanks Again

Linda :)

anne h said...

Love this - makes me hungry to look at it!

Anonymous said...

I make tartar sauce with greek yogurt as well. Sometimes I have fish just so I can have tons of sauce!
DebT.

Sara A. said...

You had me at CRAB. I heart your blog. I'm pre-op and your recipes still have my mouther watering. Keep up the good work. With all your creations I can't even imaging your grocery bill!! I'm so glad I registered for a mini muffin pan for my wedding. And this was before I even discovered your site. It's fate I tell you. (Actually I had envisioned those cookies where you poke down the reece's pb cup in it. Still stuck in my fat girl ways) Keep the great stuff coming!!

Dena said...

Another quick question. When you say 14 medium shrimp, would that be about half a pound of shrimp? The fish counter I go to measures shrimp size by how many make up a pound.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hope you guys enjoy them. Leftovers today were just as yummy :)

***

Dena, I used the medium ones because they were what I had in the freezer. Yep 14 are close to 1/2 pound slightly under ;)

Shrimp per pound:
• 10 shrimp or less = Colossal
• 11 to 15 = Jumbo
• 16 to 20 = Extra-large
• 21 to 30 = Large
• 31 to 35 = Medium
• 36 to 45 = Small
• about 100 = Miniature

Holly said...

I love your recipes!! Didn't realize it was National Crab Day, but I'll still celebrate! Life's great!

Heather said...

I love love love crab cakes. Can't wait to try these. I've made a few different variety of bites and they were SO GOOD. I'm about to make another batch this afternoon. The best part is they are so easy to make and to modify. Thanks for sharing your recipes!

heather

Naija said...

Shelly, I made these today and they were AWESOME. My older sister was over and she's a bit picky, but even she gobbled them up!

I am about 4 months out and have lost about 74lbs! I credit much of it to your recipes, they help keep me on track without making me feel like I am being deprived!

My grocery store was trippin and they didn't have the Herb Goat Cheese so I cheated and used Herb & Chive cream cheese.. Still tasted good so no harm done. :)

Thanks so much and keep up the good work!