Monday, August 3, 2009

Smart Sushi - Riceless

When I go out for sushi I typically order a Sashimi platter which is just different selections of raw fish. I love it. I could eat it everyday if it wasn't soooo expensive. I do miss the different sushi rolls but alas I do not do rice post-op by choice.

I was laying in bed wide awake at 3 AM again (what else is new?!) and I thought... OK can't do the rice but all the other stuff is doable. This is what I came up with. It's so yummy! All the flavors of a California Roll without the useless white rice carbs...

WLS weightloss No Rice Riceless Sushi Low CarbShelly's California Roll Salad

8 oz. Crab Meat (Imitation Flake or Real)
1 Cucumber, diced
1 Avocado, diced
Baby Spinach
1 Green Onion, sliced on the bias

Wasabi Yogurt Dressing
2 oz. Plain Greek Yogurt
1 Tablespoon Mayonnaise
3/4 teaspoon Wasabi Powder
squeeze of Lime Juice
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt

Mix crab, cucumber and avocado together. Spoon onto a bed of baby spinach leaves. Mix dressing ingredients together till well combined. Spoon over salad. Sprinkle with green onions.

I used flake imitation crab aka surimi (it's a bit higher in carbs but cheaper on the pocketbook) than the real deal. Surimi is usually made from Alaskan Pollock and typically what they use in California Rolls. If you aren't a sushi person still try this salad... even people who don't like sushi like California Rolls.

Other Eggface Asian Food Fixes:

Shelly's Asian Lettuce Cups
Shelly's Chinese New Year Meatball Soup
Shelly's Chicken Chop Suey
Shelly's Chinese Shrimp Packet
Shelly's Cashew Chicken
Shelly's Shrimp & Peas Stir Fry
Shelly's Foo Rangoon Bites
Shelly's Chicken Egg Foo Young
Shelly's Almond Cookie Protein Ice Cream


PoetsSpirit said...

I eat sushi and sashimi a few times a month. I usually give most of it away and get brown rice, but you have given me a million ideas with this one! wow! you are great!

mybiglittleworld said...

oh i cannot wait to try this! sounds LOVELY!

Diane said... did you know I was thinking sushi? Thanks!

ramblinsuze said...

Brilliant! I'm always craving sushi, but as you say...expense + rice = not always a great idea. This is fabu! Can't wait to run to the store and get the ingredients! :D

Lynne said...

Ugh - I just can't wrap my mind around raw fish!

Canticles said...

I think you are my hero.

Jennifer Miller said...

Ooo, yummy!! I'm excited to try this! I love sushi rolls and usually just take off the outside rice and eat the center - haha...but this is so much cheaper!

Canticles said...

So, I totally had this for dinner tonight. The cucumber in the fridge was bad (whoops!) so I threw in some celery, mushrooms, and green pepper I had handy instead. Also, in the dressing, I did a squeeze of the fresh ginger in a tube I have. LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!!

MadLori said...

Hi Shelly! I'm just three weeks post-op and I love your blog, I can't wait to try so many of your ideas.

Have you tried brown rice sushi? It's delicious and better for you than white rice, natch.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hope you guys enjoy it!

Yeah I don't do brown rice either. My deal with brown rice or wheat pasta is this... it will only make me want the real stuff more. So I don't open the door.

I hear some creative sushi places make no rice rolls.


Erin said...

This look delicious by the way! I am new to this blogger thing so please excuse me if this is not proper blogging etiquette. But I was wondering if you had heard about hemp hearts. They are a little hard to find but they are a little god send. A serving is 5 tablespoons and is 315 calories and 20 grams of Protein!

I have been cooking up a 1/2 cup of re fried beans with onion and garlic and 2 and a half tablespoons of hemp hearts. I also sneak them into baked goods. I would love to see what you could come up with using them.

kareninflorida said...

THis is awesome! I don't care for sushi, but the only kind I ever liked was the California roll because of its ingredients (minus the useless white carbs. I love rice, but not sushi rice.) This is the PERFECT solution. Makes me wish I was further along than 2-1/2 weeks, but I feel so encouraged that I can eat beautiful food like this some day that is actually good for me! :)

PhoenixMommy said...

I been doing something similar when I need my sushi fix (since i dont like wasabi) i dice up avacado, crab and cucumber and cut up squares of nori (seaweed paper) and splash some teriaki sauce on it. yumm would love to try it if you could come up with like a teriyaki dip

SheZug said...

seriously, I just fell in love <3

Thank you :)

Bonnie said...

This sounds really good...Shelly... although I'd probably use a different dressing since I'm not a big fan of the wasabi.
A great riceless roll that I've been eating is called Kanisu... It's julienne carrots, masago and kani(imitation crab) wrapped in a thin slice of cucumber, served with a seasoned rice vinegar dipping sauce. Really yummy!

Anonymous said...

I just made this. Soooo good! Thanks.

Andrea said...

I just made this tonight. Delicious. And my post op mom loves it too. We are sushi fanatics :). I might add a tiny bit of soya sauce to this next time.

Charity Godbey said...

Thank you for posting this. I LOVE LOVE Sushi. I am also going to choose not to have rice since I just got the sleeve. Thank you for blogging this is so helpful.