Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Good Stuff - Crab Imperial

This was last night's dinner. Soooo good. I served it with a sliced cucumber salad. These are super soft and would be perfect early on. Just dice the onions a little more finely and you should be good to go. In the beginning foods like this, my Ricotta Bake and Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole made me feel "normal" again. If you love Greek spanakopita it's like a cross between that and a lasagna filling. Yum

Lots of good stuff yesterday... It was much cooler. It was 110°F on Tuesday but we were under 100°F yesterday so heck yeah that's good stuff, I prefer 80's but anything under triple digits I'll take. I seriously was beginning to feel ill from the heat. I was good about water too but 110°F was just too much to take. How I did this with 150+ extra pounds on me is beyond comprehension, no wonder I was on 8 medications. The cooler weather let me get a bunch of things accomplished I had put off... gardening, cleaning, etc. I was knocking stuff of the to-do list at a record pace.

We had this delicious dinner and then watched Glee. Speaking of Glee, I received my Season 1 DVD set yesterday. Remember my Mum and I were extras in the balcony audience of Regionals (in the Season Finale) so if you have a copy... check out my Mum and I... best view at the 17.19 minute mark. Squeeee.

Then we got the news my nephew passed the bar exam on his first attempt so we officially have an attorney in the family. Always nice to have. So if I ever wig out and need an attorney I'll have a family discount ;) Towanda.

Party Food Crab Dip Weight Loss Surgery Diabetes Healthy Menus Low Carb Low FatShelly's Crab Imperial

1/2 Yellow Onion, diced
3 Green Onions, diced
1 cup Cooked Spinach, squeezed
1 (6 oz.) can of Crab Meat
1 cup Ricotta Cheese
1 Egg, beaten
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1/2 teaspoon Oregano
a few twists of Black Pepper
1/4 cup Crunchy Onions (the green bean casserole kind)
1 Tablespoon Parmesan

Cook spinach and squeeze all excess water from it. Set aside. Saute onions till golden. Set aside to cool. Mix all ingredients together (except topping ingredients) till well combined.

RNY VSG WLS Gastric Bypass Foods Recipes Cooking MenusSpoon into 6 ramekins that have been sprayed with Pam non-stick cooking spray.

Bariatric Recipes Cooking Soft Food Pureed Phase MenusIn a snack sized Ziploc baggie crush crunchy onions and Parmesan together. Sprinkle crumbs evenly onto the tops of the crab mixture.

Healthy Recipes RNY WLS VSG Weightloss Surgery Foods Bake in a 350 oven for 20 minutes.

post signature


first steps said...

That looks and sounds delicious! I am gonna have to try it!

Chelsea's Mom said...

Hi Shelly,
I know that you use a lot of ricotta cheese in your recipes. I have a lot of trouble with the texture - just wondering if it tends to "disappear" in most of the recipes? It's been keeping me from trying some and they sound/look so delicious!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hope you guys enjoy it!


Chelsea's Mom, Well I guess I do have a bunch with it in it... I'm Italian we love the stuff but when I buy it I buy a huge tub so you will usually see a burst of ricotta recipes in a row... the pumpkin pralines, these crab creations... then you won't see ricotta for a month or so again ;)
This has the texture of the filling of a lasagna so if you like that you'll like these :)

Curlygirl said...

Wow, this made my mouth water just reading the recipe!

Carol said...

I am so making this!!! and so going to re-watch glee to see if I can spot you guys....
Finally found pumpkin at TJ's so will be making ricotta and pumpkin goodies this weekend (hopefully it will be cooler...)

Jessica said...

I made this the other night with a couple variations. I don't like the texture of Ricotta so I used cottage cheese and instead of little ramekins I put in a large casserole dish and baked it like that. I had company for dinner and they LOVED it. Thank you Shelly for ALL your great recipes!

Anonymous said...

Tuesdays Glee was the Best ever!!! I love Britney..too hilarious!!!

I will have to re watch too and try to find you cool that you got to go to "Regionals!"

I am so adding this recipe to my lists too...had my team meeting today and this would be really good early on!

Love it!!

Lynne said...

My husband made this for me for tonight's dinner (after I emailed him a copy of your recipe yesterday!) I didn't think he'd take the hint so soon! It was delicious. Can you give me any breakdowns as far as how much protein in a serving? I'm less than 2 months out, and read your blog as often as possible. You are an inspiration! Thank you for paving the way... Lynne

Michelle "Shelly" said...

How cool is that. LOL Does he have a brother?

What I do when I need to find the nut info (to mine or any other recipe) is go to type in each individual ingredient, add those totals and divide by the # of servings I get from the dish. I understand sparkpeople & nutrition data and some other sites will give you nut info too but I've not used them. The recipes all work on my weight loss surgery post-op eating plan.

I don't put the nut info on my recipes because... nutrition facts can vary so widely... on my plan I use full fat cheese, full fat mayo, butter, olive oil, others may use low fat cheese or horrors that non fat toxic waste, what percentage % fat of beef, different brands of protein, etc. Plus serving size can vary what I eat as a 4+ year post-op is a very different amount than a 3 month, 6 month, or 2 year post-op. The numbers would swing like a pendulum.

Hope this helps,

Stacey said...

First a comment: When I want to "analyze" the nutrition of a complete recipe, I put it in

It is not perfect as some foods are not in their database, but it gives you a good idea and for recipes with lots of ingredients, is saves time off of looking up each one indicidually.

Second a question: I have been trying to eat less processed foods and everything in the recipe looks good except the "fried onions in a can". Since I am assuming you are just going for a crunchy top, can you suggest a substituion?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Stacey, Leave them off or Parm only.

battynurse said...

Glad it's cooling down there. It has been truly miserable here. Even though it dropped back down into the 90's it's been so ungodly muggy and gross. Add in helping a friend move yesterday and I think I didn't drink enough and I felt horrible last night. Hope your weather continues to be nice.

Theresa said...

Made this tonight with the cucumber pea pesto salad. It was all very good got two thumbs up from the family

Rai said...

I made this. Ahhh-mazing! Honestly, every recipe I have tried so far from this site is delish!! If you ever put together a cookbook, I would totally buy it. :) Thank you for sharing your creations and adaptations with us.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

So glad you enjoyed it!!