Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Crabby Corn Cakes

I'm on a crab kick lately. Can't get enough of it. Imitation or Real Deal, it doesn't matter I'm loving it all. It's a yummy source of protein: 3 oz. of crab gives you 10 grams of protein (imitation), 16 grams of protein (real deal) Mmmm soooo good. Use the real deal for these...

Shelly's Crabby Corn Cakes

1 cup Corn Kernels (frozen, thawed)
1/4 of a Maui Sweet Onion, diced
2 Green Onions, diced
1/2 cup Spelt Flour
1/2 cup Multigrain Pancake Mix, dry (I use this)
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
2/3 cup Milk
1 cup of Crab Meat (the real stuff for this)
2 Eggs, beaten
1 Tablespoon Parmesan Cheese, grated
1 Tablespoon Fresh Parsley, chopped
1/2 teaspoon Southwest Seasoning (Paprika, Cayenne, Chili Powder, Cumin Blend)
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
Pam or Olive Oil for sauteing

Lemon Dill Yogurt Dip
3 oz. Fage Greek Yogurt
2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon Fresh Dill, snipped
juice of 1/2 a Lemon
zest of 1/2 a Lemon
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper

Saute onions till golden. Add corn and saute till heated through. Set aside to cool. In a large bowl mix spelt, pancake mix and baking powder. Add milk slowly and mix till combined. Add cooled veggies. Add eggs, crab, parsley, cheese & seasonings. Mix well.

Heat a pan coated with Pam or Olive Oil. Reduce heat to low-medium. Drop a tablespoon at a time of the dough into pan and form patties, flatten slightly. In a 10" non-stick fry pan I could make 7 at a time comfortably.

Flip when golden and continue to cook till golden on reverse (about 6 minutes or so). Makes 25.

I served them warm with a dollop of Lemon Dill Yogurt Dip. They reheat great in the oven, toaster oven or microwave and freeze well too.

Great as an appetizer at parties (you can make them ahead & reheat right before) or for brunch with scrambled eggs and a fruit salad. We had these for lunch with a salad. Greens and cucumbers from the Farmer's Market and tomatoes from my garden. Soooo good. I made the Lemon Dill Yogurt Dip with dill and lemons from the garden too. I have tons of lemons. They are becoming centerpieces. Wanna see?


DramaQueen said...

OMG, these look amazing... must... make... now...

My latest restaurant fave is the crabcakes appetizer at a local sushi place (hardly cut with anything, pretty much entirely crab meat with a little panko breading). I was delighted and more than a little surprised to find how much I liked them with the peanut sauce they are served with! I'm thinking one more version of your recipe with bell peppers instead of corn and a PB2 dip...

I am soooo hungry! (Of course, I'm also 5 mo pregnant. :)

Diane said...

WOW! These look outstanding! Gotta try them out! I, also, LOVE crab cakes. And it can be so hard to find good ones that are not all bread-y.

I am impressed with your lemon harvest...and envious! Lemons are so expensive here in the Midwest (as are avocados).

mary brockmeyer said...

Tell us again why you use spelt flour instead of regular?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hope you guys enjoy them!


I use Spelt well mostly because I don't use white flour but basically it's a whole grain flour that is high in protein & fiber. I've found it can replace white flour at an almost 1:1 ratio... something soy flour, almond flour can't do.


PoetsSpirit said...

Also, spelt is much easier to digest...

so, i just made these and remembered why you are the foodie friend in my head. i didn't use corn, because i don't buy too many starchy veggies, so i used red peppers. and i didn't have a cup of crab so i mixed in some canned salmon. i also added 2Tbs. of soy mayo and a few other seasonings that i prefer. just whipped up some regular tartar sauce, since i don't have the ingredients for your sauce...mmmmm!

i shared with my neighbor and her 3 y/o daughter and she said, "these are my favorite, lol!"

"Candle Barista" said...

Okay Eggy! I just HAD to make these and they are DELISH!! OMG. Even got the non-tofu loving hubby to try some and (wow!) he liked them... LOL. I will have to make sure to read the fine print on the crab package next time. We ended up with faux crab - but they were still yummy! Thanks so much! xoxo

Leisa said...

I just made these and they came out great! I did substitute the corn with shredded zucchjni since I have so much from my garden. They added moisture so I just added some tvp to soak it up. Thank you for the recipe! I love your website!