Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Italian Food Fix

You know how I heart casseroles. Made this Sunday for dinner. Soooo good I couldn't wait for the next day's lunch for leftovers. I served it with a simple green salad.


Shelly's Italian Chicken Casserole

2 skinless, boneless Chicken Breasts, cut in 1" pieces
1 Yellow Onion, diced
3 Green Onions, diced
4-6 Mushrooms, sliced
3-4 small Yellow Squash, chopped (Zucchini would be great too)
2 cloves Garlic, crushed
3 Artichoke Hearts, packed in water, drained & chopped
2 Tablespoon Sun Dried Tomatoes, packed in oil, drained & chopped
2 Tablespoons Storebought Pesto Sauce
1 (10.5 oz.) can Cream of Chicken Soup, unconstituted
2 Tablespoons Parmesan Cheese, grated
1/2 teaspoon Oregano
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
1/4 cup Mozzarella, grated
Olive Oil for sauteing

Saute chicken till golden. Remove from pan and set aside. Saute onions, mushrooms & squash till golden. Add garlic cook 1 minute more. Add remaining ingredients (except mozzarella) and the chicken back to the pan and mix till well combined. Pour into Pyrex casserole dish. Top with Mozzarella Cheese.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.



More Eggface 'cause that's how I roll Casseroles:
Shelly's Philly Cheese Steak Casserole
Shelly's Chicken Carbonara Casserole
Shelly's Zucchini Roll-ups (aka Pasta-less Manicotti)
Shelly's Grilled Veggie Lasagna
Shelly's Basil Primavera Casserole
Shelly's Mediterranean Baked Shrimp
Shelly's Double Dip Chicken Casserole
Shelly's Chicken Dijon Casserole
Shelly's Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
Shelly's Mexican Beef & Bean Bake

Want more... just type casserole in the Eggface Search Engine <-- under my Before & After pictures.

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

I notice that you use store ought pesto sauce many times, but only a tablespoon or two -- how long does it last in the fridge for you?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Steph,

I buy the refrigerator kind (trader joes, buitoni, contadina, etc. in the fresh pasta section) I freeze it and break of a hunk at a time & defrost in microwave for 20 seconds.

You can buy jarred too which will keep forever (well not forever but a loooong time) in the tomato sauce aisle.

~M

Paula K said...

Hooray! It's fall; which means the oven comes ON and it's casserole time! Can't wait - starting this weekend with another trip to the farmer's market :-)

Dana said...

Shelly,

Am two weeks out with the sleeve and love your site! Can't wait to turn around our eating habits.

One problem is that I can't tolerate artificial sweeteners. How do I convert your recipes without adding way too much sugar?

Thanks

Dana

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Dana, TY :) Congrats on your recent surgery. Most of my recipes are just experiments that went well enough to make the blog... I'd just say mess around see what works & what doesn't.

~M

Amanda said...

I made this casserole for my family, hoping to have some leftovers to take for lunch the next day. My kids are usually a bit picky and while we require that they at least try new things, they don't usually finish them. Well, needless to say, there weren't any leftovers to take for lunch! This was way better than the standard chicken casserole recipes I've been finding on the internet! And that jarred pesto sauce does keep forever! I can't wait to try another casserole recipe!