Thursday, June 11, 2009

League of Nations

The sun finally popped out yesterday afternoon for a few hours so I decided to take advantage of it and bring dinner in my super cool Bento Box to the park to watch it set.

Blue Box (top left): Yellow Pepper Strips and Baby Carrots
Green Box (top right): Colby Jack Cheese Cubes & Steamed Edamame
Pink Box (bottom left): Shelly's BBQ Saucy Meatballs
Bottom right: Tribe Single Serve Hummus (love these)

I get the little Hummus 100 calorie single serve containers at Costco in a box of 16/2 oz. cups for $4.99 (refrigerated section)

More Eggface Bentos

Came home for dessert. If you love those Chinese Almond Cookies you will LOVE this. A new favorite...

WLS bariatric surgery menus
Shelly's Almond Cookie Protein Ice Cream

1 cup Vanilla Soy Milk (or Regular Milk)
2 scoops of Vanilla Protein Powder
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Vanilla Jello Pudding Powder, dry
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Almond Torani Syrup
dash of Cinnamon
2 Tablespoons Almonds, slivered
4-6 Sugar Free Almond Cookies, crushed (I use these)

Mix together milk, protein, pudding, syrup and cinnamon. I used this gadget to mix it up. It makes it airy and lump free. If you don't have one just toss it in a blender on super high. You want it fluffy almost double in size. Pour into ice cream maker. Follow your machine's instructions for freezing. 5 minutes before done add nuts & crushed cookies.

You can eat it right away it is soft serve-ish but I like to scoop it into a tupperware and put it in the freezer to set for an hour. I topped it with Sugar Free Land o Lakes Whipped Cream and a few slivered almonds.

Dinner was nice. Not really dinner-ish. More snacky. I really wasn't in the mood to cook so I just made up a bunch of fun snacks making sure there was enough protein. Sometimes I do that especially if I'm alone. It was a really mixed up International meal... Middle Eastern Hummus, Japanese Edamame, Chinese Almond Cookie Ice Cream. Mixed up but very tasty!


emily said...

Between the Naked nuggets and the single serve hummus, I wish I had a Costco membership! Such awesome finds... maybe one of the stores that sells the Naked nuggets might have those too... Totally different products, but you never know...

Lara said...

Yum, the almond ice cream sounds amazing! Can you tell me how you work with all the ice cream that sticks to the sides/bottom of the ice cream maker? That stuff is impossible to get out! (and I don't want to waste it! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi I have a question for you, I thought I saw a recipe for english muffin with ricotta cheese and crushed pineapple on it and now I can not locate it, can you please tell me if I am crazy or where i can locate it on your site. Oh and by the way I LOVE YOUR SITE!!!

Thank you, Karen (Wisconsin)

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Karen, Not me. I don't do bread. Sorry.


Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Lara, Have you read my Ice Cream Making Tip page on the Ice Cream Recipe Page. That will give you a few but basically... have the machine running when you add the liquid, some spray the inside of the cylinder with Pam (I don't), get it out when it stops, use 2% of above milk (even soy - no lowfat) water content will freeze more than fat content.

Hope that helps,

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Yeah Costco is great lots of wls friendly things plus the samples they give out are often lunch for a small pouch LOL. The Costco Buffet I call it ;)