Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Gung Hay Fat Choy!

To celebrate Chinese New Year yesterday I made this yummy soup for dinner. As I was forming the meatballs I thought... here's a Sicilian girl making Chinese meatballs. It was a kumbaya moment of global togetherness.

Lesson learned: We are more alike than different.

You know I'll bet most of the problems of the world could be solved if we would just have a potluck.

Hear that, Barack? I have a degree in Political Science, I like to cook and I'm looking for a job. I could be your Secretary of Potlucks. You've got the power dude. Make it happen.

Many a true word is spoken in jest.

I hope you enjoy the soup and have the BEST year ever.

Shelly's Chinese New Year Meatball Soup

3 bunches Baby Bok Choy
1/8 cup Dry Bread Crumbs
1/8 cup Milk
3/4 pound Ground Pork
4 Green Onions, diced
1 (4 oz.) can Shitake Mushrooms, well drained
1 1/2 teaspoons Ginger, grated
3 cloves Garlic, crushed
1 Egg, beaten
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper to taste
2 teaspoons Sherry
2 Tablespoons Almond Flour
3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce, divided use
3 cups Chicken Broth

Split up and wash the bok choy. Set aside. Soak breadcrumbs in milk for 1 minute. Beat egg. Add egg and soaked breadcrumbs to ground pork. Combine the ground pork all other ingredients (except 2 Tablespoons of the soy sauce and the chicken broth)

Form the ground pork into meatballs. I use an ice cream scoop to keep them fairly uniform.

Brown meatballs on all sides. Heat the chicken broth and the remaining 2 Tablespoons of soy sauce to boiling. Add the meatballs and bok choy.

Simmer 25 minutes until the meatballs are cooked through. Makes 9-10 meatballs.

Other Eggface Chinese Food fixes:

Shelly's Shrimp & Peas Stir Fry
Shelly's Cashew Chicken
Shelly's Chinese Shrimp Packet
Shelly's Chicken Chop Suey
Shelly's Foo Rangoon Bites
Shelly's Chicken Egg Foo Young


Debbie Y. said...

I will have to try this as I simply love your Foo Rangoon Bites. I am a big fan of Chinese food. I think you would be an awesome Secretary of Potlucks!

Kathleen said...

That looks yummy my friend - that will be on our menu next week for sure. We eat traditional Chinese about 4 days a week - a new entree is always nice to have.

Luz said...

I don't have the fancy load pan YET. So, I made your southwest turkey meatloaf into meatballs. Super yummy!Can't wait to try these!

Melting Mama said...

Mmmm... nuff said.

cschoen said...

Please put my name down for one of the first cookbooks - I'm running out of paper and killing too many trees printing these out!

Anonymous said...

I made these tonight with ground turkey (pork and I are still not very good friends since my surgery; I'm nearly 10 months postop). Anyway the meatballs are fantastic & the soup really filling and comforting on a cold, wintery day. As an aside, for your nutritional info, check out a program called Recipe Calculator. It's only $24 and I use it to calculate nutritional values in ALL my recipes (and some of yours LOL). Thanks for keeping us inspired with your great posts and fantastic recipes. Even my family is eating healthier now. Yay!

Tomshiro said...

I love the idea of you for potluck czar.
My WLS is coming up in a couple weeks. I found your blog while searching for liquid/puree recipes. I, too, love to cook and don't much care for the commercial protein shakes. I've been working my way forward through your posts, but I couldn't resist commenting on this one.