Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Cheery Cherry Muffins

When fresh cherries are cheap in the summer I buy a ton. I wash, pit, bag them up in Ziplocs and toss them in the freezer. The pitting part used to be a big pain in the toosh but last summer I bought this simple gadget. It's amazing when you have the right tools how much easier it is. When there are no cherries to be found at the Farmer's Market and the supermarkets are charging a fortune for them I pull out some of my sweet secret stash.

I use them in my Black Cherry Protein Ice Cream and Protein Smoothies and these yummy Cherry Nut Muffins I made this weekend. They brightened the rainy day and baking them cheered me up after my weekend plans were washed out. I kept a few out, froze a few for next week (they freeze great), and gave a few to my neighbor. This morning I cut 2 in half and heated them lightly in a pan. They get all golden and toasty. I ate them with a fresh fruit salad. A super yummy start to the day.

Shelly's Cherry Nut Mini Protein Muffins

3/4 cup Spelt Flour
1/2 cup Vanilla Protein Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
dash of Salt
1/4 cup Walnuts, chopped
2 Tablespoons (plus a little for the top) Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
2 Eggs, beaten
1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
4 Tablespoons Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Black Cherry)
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
1 cup Frozen Cherries, chopped

Preheat oven to 350. Spray mini muffin tin with Pam and set aside. Mix all ingredients together till combined.

Spoon into muffin tin and sprinkle with a little more coconut. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes or until a tester inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Remove pans from oven.

Allow to cool in the pan for 3 minutes.

Transfer to wire cooling rack to cool completely. Store in a sealed container to keep them soft and moist.


erin said...

Shelly- can I make this without the smelt flour??? I wouldn't even know where to begin to find it. What could I use in place of it? I still have the multigrain flour that I use with the cottage cheese pancakes...will that work? I need to get on the recipe bandwagon and stop eating the same, boring food. If I had a "praise Eggy" egg icon, you'd get one here!!!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

LOL Erin, I had to giggle at your typo "smelt" flour versus "spelt" I think and I may be wrong that smelts are little fish they use for bait. hehehe.

Spelt flour can be changed out for white, wheat, almond all will change the texture of the muffin a bit and of course the nutritional value. Spelt is pretty high in protein as flours go. You can find it online (link in recipe) or a health food market will carry it.

TY for the lovely compliment ;) too.


Gubblebum said...

If adding protein powder to a recipe, what should it replace, or what other ingredients should be increased to account for it? I have a really yummy whole what pumpkin spice muffin recipe that's pretty healthy as is, but I'd love to be able to add more protein. If you'd like the recipe to play with, I'll gladly forward it along....

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Err #2 Damn cyber space ate my reply


I use it to replace some (not all) of the white flour or white sugar in a recipe I don't do white four or white sugar.


CiNdYe said...

Shelly, I'm definitely going to try those. We love cherries! Hey, if you're going to pit a bunch of cherries, I suggest this tool:


It makes for quick work getting through many pounds of cherries.

Anonymous said...

I love cherry muffins. Can't wait to make 'em! And I need to get that pitting gadget...we have 4 cherry trees (among several other fruit trees) and am tired of having my hands looking like I've just killed something...or somebody!!

Pam Coons

Jen said...

I couldn't find cherries so I made them with no sugar added black cherry jam. And added a bit less sugarfree syrup- I used almond by the way. They are delicious! Every my three year old ate two of them this morning and she usually rejects my low-carb baking.

Sondra said...

Shelly....I didn't have any cherries; however, I did have dried cranberries that I ran quickly through the "Magic Bullet". WOW were these wonderful. A+ recipe. I'm defintely going to try the banana protein muffins next. I like the Spelt flour versus the Almond...basically the price is an added benefit at this time in the economy. Keep up the great recipes because I always look forward to seeing what new delites you come up with. You are awesome.

wickettlw said...

how many per serving-sounds yummie

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thanks. Serving size should be determined by your Dr's plan for you at whatever stage you are at. At almost 3 years I do 2 for breakfast with cottage cheese or fruit or 2 alone for a snack.

Hope you enjoy them. I have some frozen right now come to think of it... gonna pull some out.


Cari said...

I can't wait to try these. I use Unjury protein. Have you ever tried it? I'm concerned about using it in baking as the directions say not to heat it above 140 degrees. Just wondered if you know anything about it.


Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Cari,

I figure you freeze and heat beef, chicken, fish, eggs, etc. all forms of protein and we don't change the gram count because we change the process/form.

Alton Brown would know for sure but I think it's a matter of texture change versus loss of protein.


Sandy said...

Hi Shelly! I've made these before and they were great. I've been looking for something to make with the tons of plums that I have ripening right now so I changed this up a little and added plums instead of the cherries. I know, it sounds weird, but they are super yummy!=)I used strawberry protein powder instead of the vanilla and 2Tbs of vanilla syrup and 2Tbs of the black cherry syrup. I'm eating it right now topped with some SF plum freezer jam that I made last week. Heaven!
Thank you so much for coming up with such great recipes that are easy to tweak. You rock, as always!