Thursday, March 19, 2009

Banana Bread Protein Ice Cream

It was 86° yesterday with gorgeous bright blue skies. When you are given a gift like that in March (it's technically still winter) you have to take full advantage.

I spent most of the day outside. I cleaned the patio and mowed the lawn. I heart my cordless electric mower it's actually a pleasure mowing the lawn now. It starts with a turn of a key. No more pulling that damn cord for 20 minutes which made me tired before I even started to mow or having to go fill a gas can and stink up the car with it. Well and it's better for the environment too. A good purchase.

So after all that manual labor the reward was the first BBQ of the season. I made Shrimp Scampi Skewers with a Bean Salad and for dessert...

86° = ICE CREAM!!!

Shelly's Banana Bread Protein Ice Cream

1 cup Vanilla Soy Milk (or Regular Milk)
2 scoops of Vanilla Protein Powder
1 Banana, mashed
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Caramel)
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
dash of Nutmeg
3 Tablespoons Nuts, chopped (I used a combo of Walnuts & Pecans)

Mix together milk, protein, syrup and spices. I used this gadget to mix it up. It makes it airy and lump free. If you don't have one just toss it in a blender on super high. You want it fluffy almost double in size. Pour into ice cream maker. Pour in mashed banana. Follow your machine's instructions for freezing. 5 minutes before done add the nuts.

You can eat it right away it is soft serve-ish but I like to put it in the freezer to set for an hour.

It was to die for topped with a drizzle of Smucker's Sugar Free Caramel Sauce and a tablespoon of my Nutty Crumble Topping.

Shelly's Nutty Crumble Topping

1/3 cup Pecans
1/3 cup Steel Cut Oats
1/3 cup Sliced Almonds
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
2 Tablespoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Caramel)
2 Tablespoons Almond Butter
1 Tablespoon Cold Butter

Whiz pecans in a mini food processor till fine. Add the rest of the ingredients (except sliced almonds) and whiz again till thoroughly mixed. Pour into a bowl. Mix in sliced almonds and sprinkle clumps of the topping onto a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Allow to cool. Store in sealed container for several days. Sprinkle on top of Custards, Protein Ice Cream or Greek Yogurt.

More Eggface Protein Ice Cream Flavors


Lorie Allen said...

Sounds yummy! I'm afraid though that I have to avoid sweets the way you avoid carbs - I owe the former flab on my left and right thighs to ice cream, candy bars and the like. :) In the past year, I've gone from a size 28 to a size 8 - Thank God! Thanks to you, I've been eating really good along the way. I'm cooking your beef and bean stew right now. I can't wait until dinner time. Thanks for all you do and please keep the great recipes coming.

Lorie from NC

CiNdYe said...

What temperature should the oven be on for the topping? This sounds so yummy. I'm jealous you have heat ... I'm so over winter weather! Thanks for the recipes Shelly!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Congrats Lorie. I understand triggers completely ;)


TY Cindye. 350. :)

Paula K said...

This looks absolutely delish! Hey, I have a question about your bites and cooking time. We recently moved and now have an electric stove - it's torture! If I bake any of your bites longer than 9 1/2 or 10 minutes, they burn. What would you recommend: turning down the temp and cooking longer, or lessen the amount of time? Thank you!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Paula,
You know I have never cooked on electric. I like to see the flame errr... I'd turn it down and go for longer. Let me know how it goes. ~M

Ashley Dixon said...

OK...I've tried your protein ice cream recipes and they get so icy they stick to the walls of my ice cream maker...ARE YOU USING full fat soy milk? That could be my problem as I am using low cal unsweetened almond milk or "Soy Slender".....

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Ashley,

Yep I use full fat everything. I use Silk Vanilla Soy or Soy Dream Vanilla (what I drink and put in coffee.) To make Protein Ice Cream the milk (regular or soy) must be 2% fat or more or you are getting more of an ice milk. Another reader suggested spraying the cylinder with Pam first.

Check out my Protein Ice Cream Tips <--- in the Quick Links Section.

Hope this helps,

Sherry said...

OMG, this was awesome! I didn't have any nuts, so I just did the plain ice cream. Thanks for all of the great recipes. :)

CMonster said...

This is amazing. I just made this with vanilla soy milk and brown sugar cinnamon sf Torani syrup. Excellent!I'm in heaven! Thanks, girl. You're my hero!