Sunday, February 22, 2009

Breakfast Bentos

The top Bento is breakfast this morning. Going to take it outside and enjoy the fresh air. After all the rain we had things are finally drying out.

The bottom Bento was breakfast the other day. My Mum and I shared it at the park/lake near my house.


Pink Box (top left): Chocolate Protein Waffles w/ sliced Bananas (click on link for recipe) I made these last week & froze some, took them out of the freezer this AM & toasted 'em. Easy.
Orange Box (top right): Pineapple Cottage Cheese
Blue Box (bottom left): Breakfast Sausages and Sugar Free Maple Syrup for Waffles
Green Box (bottom right): Strawberries and Blueberries




Pink Box (top left): Shelly's Black Cherry Greek Yogurt (recipe below)
Green Box (top right): Kay's Naturals Protein Cereal (I sprinkle this on my yogurt yum)
Blue Box (bottom left): Shelly's Green Chili Bites (Crustless Quiches)
Orange Box (bottom right): Mozzarella Cheesestick Cubes


The best yogurt ever...

Shelly's Black Cherry Greek Yogurt

3 1/2 oz. Fage Greek Yogurt (1/2 a container. I use 2%)
5 Cherries (plus a couple for garnish)
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Black Cherry Torani Syrup

Whiz in a mini food processor till combined. I serve it with a few whole cherries on top and sometimes I sprinkle cereal or sliced almonds on top for a little crunch. This makes a GREAT dip for sliced apples too.


My super groovy Bento Box

Bento #1
Bento #2 & 3

As a post-op I have found if I eat a yummy high protein breakfast I do sooooo much better eating wise all day long. I feel satisfied and I'm less likely to overeat or nibble during the rest of the day.

Hope your day is great! Go eat breakfast.

11 comments:

Cindy said...

I love the box! And you are so right about eating a good breakfast...I am just not good about doing it! I leave for school so early that I might pack breakfast instead of lunch!

Deb4cats said...

Hi Michelle, I made your lentil stew today. It was beyond delicious. It made my house smell and feel so cozy and comfy on this cold rainy SUnday in New England. I am amongst your biggest fans.
Debbie

tara said...

Hey, I picked up a container of pineapple cottage cheese yesterday. Not until I got home did I realize that the sugar grams were way high. The third ingredient is high frutose corn syrup! Is yours like that too?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Cindy, It was fun having breakfast like this... I know and I love so many breakfast foods it would make a great lunch.

Deb, So glad you enjoyed it. There is nothing like soup on a chilly day.

Tara, Let's see... Stats on mine:

Cals 130 (1/2 cup)
Fat 2g
Carbs 15g
Protein 12g
Sugars 15g

Nonfat milk, milk, cream, pineapple fruit, salt, stabilizers... nope just the fruit sugars and milk sugars.

Brand: Driftwood Dairy Lowfat Cottage Cheese w/ Pineapple

www.driftwooddairy.com

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I've read your blog for quite a while; though I have not had surgery, I eat a very low-cal, low-carb diet for weight loss, and am always pleased to see your recipes.
I'm wondering, since you never put portion sizes on your recipes, how much of these things you eat? Do you have a calorie target that you stay within each day? I'm just trying to get an idea of your recommended portion sizes.
Thanks,
Elizabeth

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hi Elizabeth, Yep I have a calorie goal each day. I figured out my BMR (using the calculator in NEAT STUFF on the left of my homepage this is an individual # based on activity, weight, height) and I adjust accordingly based on my weekly weigh-ins. I don't log my food/exercise each day anymore (I did for the first 2 years) but I do it every few weeks for a couple of days to see if I'm still on track www.fitday.com I use the free version.

I try and eat 50% protein, 25% fats, 25% complex only carbs daily too.

How much I eat depends... some days I'm hungrier... lets see on this bento this morning I ate 1 waffle stick w/ about 4 banana slices and sf maple syrup, about 4 strawberries and couple of blueberries, 1/2 the cottage cheese (so 1/4 cup-ish) and 2 breakfast sausages.

Hope this helps,
~Michelle

poohkinandpiglet said...

I love your Bento Box lunches. I pack them for my kids and was reminded of the boiled egg mouse I make for my daughter. Hard boiled egg cut in half lengthwise, two slivers of radish for the ears, raisin eyes and the tail is the root end of a radish tucked into the back of the egg. Very cute!

Love your recipes and blog!

MICHELMOBA said...

Hey Shelly,

I'm loving the idea of the bento box, but have a question before I order one for myself.

I commute every day on an express bus, so I do a lot of walking to & from....does the box need to lay flat so that the food in the 4 boxes dont combine or are there lids for each? Right now I'm carrying 3 mini tupperware containers in a chiller bag with me (and yes, they get shaken as I walk).

Michelle

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Michelle, No it doesn't have to stay flat. In fact one of the ways you can buy them is with its own carry bag with ice dealio but... only 2 containers have lids... in my set it's the pink on (large) and the little blue syrup/condiment container. Nothing has leaked so far but I also haven't done anything soupy. I don't think I would do soups in them. I'm really impressed with the set up thus far and it holds a lot.

~Michelle

Char1char said...

Hi Michelle, do you have a section just for recipes? I love all of your recipes and was wondering if I could browse th

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thank you. The search box at the top will find them by keyword so "breakfast" or "bento" or "chicken" etc. or if you are more visual www.pinterest.com/eggface :)