Thursday, October 16, 2008

Chocolate Cake & Deep-Seated Childhood Issues

The buzz over the Internet is a sugar/white flour version of this type of microwave mug cake so you know I just had to mess around and make a weight loss surgery friendly version.

Insomnia at 3 AM, 3 attempts and voila...

Shelly's 5 Minute Sugar Free Chocolate Cake

1 Egg, beaten
3 Tablespoons Milk (I used Vanilla Soy)
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Torani Syrup 
1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
3 Tablespoons Multigrain Pancake Mix
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Chocolate Pudding Mix, dry
1 Tablespoon Cocoa
1 scoop Chocolate Protein Powder
Pinch salt
1 Measuring Cup or Microwave Safe Mug

In a measuring cup or microwave safe mug, Mix egg, milk, syrup and oil and combine thoroughly. In a separate bowl, mix pancake mix, pudding mix, cocoa, protein powder and salt. Tip dry into wet and stir till combined.

Nuke in microwave for 2 minutes. Let it sit for three or so minutes (it pulls away from the sides) before tipping the cake onto a plate. Yields 4-5 slices.

Serve with Sugar Free Whipped Cream, Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup, Raspberries, Strawberries, Cherries, Sugar Free Caramel Syrup, Sliced Bananas, Melted Peanut Butter, a scoop of Protein Ice Cream or Sugar Free Warm Vanilla Custard.

It's yummy hot but I think it gets even better as it cools, more chocolaty. It totally reminded me of those Easy Bake Oven cake mixes.

Speaking of Easy Bake Ovens....

The other day I was talking to a friend of mine and she said, "You must have worn out your Easy Bake Oven when you were a kid making stuff since you love to cook so much."

I said, "Actually my Mum would never buy me one. She was afraid I'd burn the house down."

I always wanted one too. I asked every birthday and Christmas for many years. Every Christmas morning I'd excitedly scan the boxes under the tree to see if I could spot an Easy Bake Oven sized box but nope Santa Claus never brought one because my Mum feared the 60-watt light bulb would kill us all.

Hmmmm could it be that my lack of childhood gratification is the current catalyst for my cooking obsession???

Who needs therapy?
I have it all figured out.
My time is up. That'll be $95.

Highlights of the day:

* It won't win any awards for being pretty but Hello!?! FREAKING chocolate cake in 5 minutes. Oh yeah, baby. That's a highlight! Sooooo making this for my birthday next year.

* Tonight: that unbelievably cool new show "Life on Mars" watch it.

Listening to: "The World I Know" Collective Soul. Whatever happened to them?


knh771 said...

I'm so sorry about your easy-bake oven. I actually wanted a Holly Hobbie oven, but they were sold out so I got the easy-bake. I was SO dissapointed at first, but after 10 or 15 of those little cakes, I got over it. The toys I wanted and didn't get? Barbie and Star Wars action figures. I would've killed for a Princess Leia. :-)

gidget said...

I tried this with a SF russell stover carmel put in the middle before microwaving it. OMG sooo yummy!

Laura said...

I love it! A recipe without banannas!!!!!!
Also I never got the easy bake oven either as a child. but I went the other way. Anti cooking.
But I did get my daughter an E.B. oven. The mixes are gross, very chemical tasting. I need to research how to make our own mixes in the oven.

Barb Del Piano said...

You are AMAZING! Chocolate cake that fast!! WOW! I am still salavating over that Crab & Shrimp Bake.... Must make the chocolate cake for dessert!


P.S. Your momma was right about the Easy Bake Oven....I KNOW YOU!

Watty said...

I'm so trying to resist the urge to 'bake' at midnight. Looks SOOOO good!

Maija said...

You are are soooo pretty- I can't believe you don't see that in yourself! You have a beautiful smile with perfect teeth, beautiful face structure and lovely eyes!- And you have a hot body!
Don't sell yourself short!

Vikki said...

Oh my gosh, that picture is the exact one I had!!!! I used up all the mixes that came with on Christmas day, unfortunately we were too poor to buy any more. I tried baking a few biscuits in it but the tops burned because they rose so high... so that was the end of it's baking abilities. But it made the greatest light for our 18 ft. long hall. You could turn off the hall light and it was pitch dark. Plug in the EB throw a sheet or something over it and ta-dah the perfect ambiance for scary stories...giggle
oh yeah it also melted flatsy patsy when she got laid down on top... but hey childhood is all about learning to cope right?
Can't wait to give the cake a try!

Through Thick and Thin said...

Shell i love your recipes and blog so much that i've chosn you to get a blog award! come on by my blog to pick it up!

Pamela said...

OMG that looks so good. As for the Easy Bake Oven, I got one for Christmas from my DH about 5 yrs ago I after I saw one at the store and went off on a whole childhood thing. Nuff said.

You've been tagged, stop by Shrinking Pamelalala and see what it's all about.

Debbie Y. said...

Oh for goodness sakes, it's truly devine chocolate cake. Wow, wow, triple wow. I am so making this as soon as I get off the computer from copying the recipe.

I have been having chocolate cravings lately. This will be my devils food cake for my halloween party.

April L said...

Eggy - Is there anything I can use in place of the pancake mix. I don't have any and I want this cake NOW!

Becky said...

Wow Shelly.. that was DELICIOUS!! I made it to take along to my dad's for dinner. I put some SF Cool Whip on top and oh my god was it good! The best ever!! I can't find multi-grain pancake mix in the store though. Nowhere! Not Stater Bros or Albertsons! I am thinking I might have to end up going to Trader Joe's huh?

I had an easy bake oven. I wasn't as baking/cooking inclined back then though so it never really got used after I ate up all the packets that came with it. Now I love to cook though. Go figure.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Becky: Try Henry's :)

Heather said...

So, I experimented with you. I made the WLS friendly and the full fat/sugar one for my family to try (and see the difference). They all agreed that the WLS cake was by far better than the full fat/sugar one. This will probably have to be made at least once a week! Thank you SOOOO much!

Also, to respond to becky - I saw the Arrowhead mills multigrain (and many others) in VONS yesterday. May want to give that a try.

Thanks for EVERYTHING! You're my hero! :-)

Kim in Ohio said...

I found your website in a link through an email from my surgeons office about a support group meeting. I have made your chocolate cake twice now and I am just amazed!!! Every once in a while I crave chocolate cake and get one premade at the grocery store. I always get sick from even 3 or 4 bites and then will wait a few months until I get that craving again and think 'maybe this time I won't get sick', HA! With YOUR recipe I don't get sick, I don't get horrible gassy (sorry) and it tastes WONDERFUL!!!! I just wanted to say thank you for your site and all the info and recipes you give. I'm hooked!

Schmeesa said...

THANK YOU so much for inventing this-WOW! I made it last night and served it with some whipped cream made with a bit of SF Hershey's in it. My husband apparently thinks this cake is a single serving, LOL...

HKD1970 said...

Just a little FYI...
I doubled the recipe and baked in a mini-muffin tin. They were just as yummy and made lots of portion-controlled cakes. :)

Thanks for always being so creative and reminding us that there is food life beyond WLS.

highest: 249
morning of surgery: 230
1 year post VSG: 140 and holding for 7 months

CindyCindy said...

I think that the reason I never got one (even though I asked for every birthday and Christmas for YEARS) is because my mom was afraid that I would get even fatter if I had one! :-/ I am and always have been the only person in my immediate and extended family on BOTH SIDES (except for a few in-laws who are only related b/c of marriage to some sibling or cousin) with a weight problem.

Anonymous said...

Hey Shelly, I made your chocolate cake tonight and the cake kind of sunk in and there were craters on the bottom and top. Your came out flat and more cake looking. What did I do wrong? Do you have any suggestions on how to make it better. Also it came out chewy and dry. Is that how this cake is supposed to be? Anyway I still enjoyed it and one slice is a lot for my pouch but I enjoyed it. Oh another thing do you think I could add a packet of splenda in it for a little sweeter taste? Anyway thanks
Aloha Jen

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Sounds like maybe it was cooked too much? It should never take longer than 2:40 tops on high. Check to be sure you added everything. If you used other brands, etc. that might be the issue. Obviously I've only tested what is listed. Give it other try. Post op baking takes a little practice.

Anonymous said...

Just made the chocolate cake and warm custard. Was going through sugar withdrawals and it really hit the spot. My husband loved it as well. Yummy Yummy Yummy.