Post Weight Loss Surgery Menus: A day in my pouch

A day in my pouch is a series of blog posts to show what a typical daily menu looks like in my post weight loss surgery world. Yesterday's healthy and delicious menu...

Breakfast: I love this egg cooking gadget. I got it for my Mum to use (no need to turn on stove) but I have used it more than her I think. Squirt a little non-stick spray inside, sprinkle some bacon bits (teaspoon, not even really, 2 dashes, I used Hormel Real Bacon Sprinkles, found them at Walmart), crack egg on top, put the lid on tight. Microwave, times will vary and you have to play with that... I have a small 700 watt and over hard (Egg McMuffin texture) takes 1 minute. Take out of microwave (careful when opening the sucker is hot) and flip onto a plate. It's like a Mini Bacon and Egg Omelet. I sometimes sprinkle with a Tablespoon of shredded cheese.


More of my favorite Egg Recipes
More Eggface Breakfasts

Lunch: I had a couple of yellow squashes from the last Farmer's Market trip that needed using, I sliced and sauteed them with an onion. Sprinkle of salt and pepper. Topped it with a dollop of Ricotta Cheese and a sprinkle of Parmesan. The heat of the squash and onion warmed the ricotta and Parmesan and it spread like a sauce throughout. Simple and delicious. This was actually one of my first veggies post weight loss surgery... without the onion.


Dinner: Leftover mini meatloaf. I love these little meatloaves. We use a couple for dinner then wrap the others individually in foil or plastic wrap and place them in a gallon-size freezer bag. Then we can pull them out and nuke them anytime we need a stress-free lunch or dinner well really even breakfast with an egg. You can also defrost and crumble them and use them in soup, in a lettuce cup or as a topping for a salad or tortilla pizza. I reheated mine (in this little steamer, love this for leftovers) and ate it with sliced tomatoes.


Shelly's Mushroom, Onion & Bacon Mini Meatloaf

1 pound Mushrooms, chopped
1 Yellow Onion, chopped
1 pound Ground Beef (or Turkey)
1/4 cup Oatmeal
1/4 cup Milk
1 Egg, beaten
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper

Topping
1 slice of Bacon

Saute onion and mushrooms till golden. Set aside to cool. Soak oatmeal in milk for 1 minute (you can use almond meal or bread crumbs if you do bread) Beat egg. Add egg and soaked oats to ground meat. Add all remaining ingredients including cooled veggies. Mix till combined.


Divide into 8 equal mounds. Form into mini meatloaves or if you have this super groovy pan like me use it. Place 1 slice of bacon on the top of each loaf. Bake for 45 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

More Mini Meatloaf Madness

Snacks: Too much coffee, a hunk of one of those Limited Edition Quest Pumpkin Pie Bars and I made a yummy frosty Protein Shake in the hottest part of the afternoon, despite the calendar saying it's Fall we kissed triple digits yesterday and it's supposed to be hotter today. This totally cools your whole body down. I used Celebrate Vitamins yummy Caramel Vanilla Swirl Protein 20 Powder and added things to make me feel like it was Fall.


Shelly's Pumpkin Caramel Vanilla Swirl Protein Shake

1 scoop Celebrate Vitamins Caramel Vanilla Swirl Protein 20 Powder
8 oz. Milk (I used 1/2 Almond Milk and 1/2 Soy Milk)
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Caramel)
a dollop of Pumpkin Puree (not pie filling)
a sprinkle of Pumpkin Pie Spice
a few ice cubes

Whiz on high in a blender. Sprinkle with a little more pie spice.

More Eggface Protein Shakes and Smoothies

Oh in case you were wondering if you can make cookies out of the Pumpkin Quest Protein Bars... You can but they aren't like regular Quest bars they have a coating so when you press them down in the cookie making process it gets a little messy... tasty messy but not as easy or pretty as the regular Quest Bar Cookies. Check it out below they were an insomnomnomnia cooking project one night last week. My favorite Quest Bar Cookies are the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars with a Pecan pressed in.


More Eggface Days in Pouch Menus