Life After Weight Loss Surgery Q & A - Long Term Success, Newbie Advice?

One post-op's thoughts on life after weight loss surgery.

Question: Do you have any advice about staying successful long term post weight loss surgery? or sometimes it's... What advice would you give new post-ops?

Answer: My answer basically breaks down to 3 things. But first, I caution that success and failure are words to ditch. Long term means there will be lots of great, poster child for post weight loss surgery and life done right kind of days and some not so much. Take every day as it comes and aim for the best you can do that day. No regrets, guilt, or shame. Those are pretty useless uses of energy. If a not so great choice is made, learn from it, make a better plan and move forward.


The Big 3 Ways to Take Action...

1. Build a support team and stay connected with them (Dr, dietitian, therapists, psychiatrist, psychologist, supportive family and friends, online and real world support groups, events like the Obesity Action Coalition's Your Weight Matters National Convention, etc.) I think of this like a war (and you'd never go into battle alone.) I want people that have my back when the you-know-what hits the fan... because... life happens. Never be afraid to say, "I thought I had this but I guess I don't. I need help." Obesity is a chronic disease and so chronic treatment is required. I will ALWAYS be a person affected by obesity like a cancer patient in remission I need to follow my Dr's orders and do what is in my power to do.

2. Speaking of life... work on any neck up stuff. No more avoiding, pushing stuff under the carpet, self medicating with food, people, or anything else. Work on your why's. There is an emotional component to obesity for most of us and that does not go away with the pounds. When the weight is gone, there will be no more blaming that. It's time to start slaying the dragons.

and finally...

3. Consider the helping hand of weight loss surgery as a DO BETTER not a DO OVER. Find healthy foods you enjoy, plan meals, think ahead, set yourself up for a great week, don't just wing it. Move your body as much as you are able (fun way: 3-4 song dance breaks = 10 minutes, AM, mid-day and before bed and you have a 30 minute workout.) Get rid of the diet mentality that you can suffer through something till a # on the scale appears or a clothing size is hanging in your closet. Create a lifestyle that you can repeat FOREVER because there is no finish-line.


Just one post-ops 2 cents ;)

post signature