Friday, August 14, 2009

It's Peanut Butter & Jelly Time

Mmmmmuffin mornings are the best mornings. Coffee brewing, the smell of muffins baking, it's much cooler today. Can't get better than that!


Shelly's Peanut Butter & Jelly Mini Muffins

3/4 cup Spelt Flour
1/2 cup Vanilla Protein Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
3 Tablespoons PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter, dry
dash of Salt
2 Eggs, beaten
1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
1/4 cup Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Vanilla)
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/4 cup Peanut Butter (I used Creamy Jif)
1/4 cup Milk

Sugar Free or No Sugar Added Jelly/Jam (I used Smucker's Strawberry Simply Fruit)

Optional topping:
2 Tablespoons Peanuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 350. Spray mini muffin tin with Pam and set aside. Mix all ingredients (except topping and SF Jelly) together till combined. Fill muffin tins 1/2 full with batter. Spoon a little dollop of Sugar Free Strawberry (or Grape) Jelly in middle of each muffin.

Cover with more muffin batter. If desired sprinkle chopped peanuts on top of each muffin. I did 1/2 the batch so 1/2 was "crunchy" (my fav) and 1/2 was "smooth."

Bake at 350 for 12 minutes.

Allow to cool in the pan for 3 minutes. Transfer to wire cooling rack to cool completely. Store in a sealed container to keep them soft and moist. Makes 24.

If you can afford the fat grams that day I served the muffins with a smear of Strawberry Butter...


Shelly's Strawberry Butter

2 Tablespoons Butter, softened
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Vanilla)
1/4 cup Sugar Free or No Sugar Added Jelly/Jam (I used Smucker's Strawberry Simply Fruit)

Whiz in a mini food processor till well combined. Makes plenty. Enough for a little smear on all the muffins. Refrigerate any unused portions.


It's Peanut Butter & Jelly time...

12 comments:

Diane said...

I'm craving some sort of baked stuff....this sounds perfect! I do not have the powdered PB stuff. Will this still be tasty?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Diane, Hmmm the PB2 does 2 things in the recipe... it replaces some flour and of course adds to the peanut butter flavor of the muffins.

My advice... order some www.bellplantation.com and make a 5 minute cake for now. It's neat stuff that powder PB great in shakes, baking, they have lots of recipes on there site.

Here's the link to the 5 minute cakes:

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2009/04/black-forest.html

~Michelle

JoeKnee said...

These were good, Shelly. Maybe a little too dry for my pouch to like w/out some butter. I'm thinking of adding a bit of applesauce or banana to them next time. Will up the carb count a bit. hmmm decisions, decisions! Thanks for the tasty recipe!

Michelle said...

Diane, check your local grocery store, our local Hyvee carries PB2!

Diane said...

Another PB2 question...or several. lol Have you used the choco PB2? I was thinking of ordering the pack that has 2 regular and 1 choco. Do you have baking/cooking/mixing tips for this stuff? I am a PB junkie and want to LOVE the products I purchase (post divorce financial woes, ya know). THNX for all of the great ideas!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

JoeKnee, Mmm Banana would be yummy!

***

Diane, I have used the Choco PB2... in shakes & ice cream only haven't baked with it. It's tasty.

Understood on the $ thing. I'd get the regular and add flavors to it if it were me.

~M

Kathy and Judy said...

I am just full of questions today...but I'd like to know why spelt flour? I did a quick search and it looks like the same carbs as whole wheat flour; are there some other benefits?

Thanks!
Judy

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Judy,

Spelt is better. Unlike wheat the bran & germ are not removed during milling so... more protein, nutrients & fiber :)

More soluble too so nutrients are more easily absorbed (RNY issue)

~M

Anonymous said...

Hi Shelly, I enjoy your blog, but I wanted to comment about the Jif peanut butter. It contains sugar and molasses as well as hydrogenated oil. Why not use a natural peanut butter that is made from just peanuts?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Feel free to use whatever PB you like. I like Jif :)

~M

Anonymous said...

Hi Shelly, I think your blog is amazing. I have a question, I am from Canada and my program is totally different from most of my American web friends. I am not suposed to use protien powder or have the shakes, my Doc wants me to get my protien from "FOOD". What my question is, most of your recipes include protien powder, can I use something else in plac of it?
Thanks, Ally

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thank you :)

I think your Dr is not wanting you to *drink* your protein (some don't, silly IMHO, its a nice alternative on grouchy pouch days) but using it in baking shouldn't be an issue... show him the recipe and see what he thinks.

The answer to whether it can be replaced will depend on the recipe... some recipes you can just eliminate it (puddings, ice cream, shakes, etc) some like this one would have to have something replace it more flour perhaps... but then that is adding carbs and whether it would turn out (baking is pretty exact a science) I couldn't tell you for sure unless I tested it.