Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Behemoth

I made a couple of batches of Protein Ice Cream yesterday.

Chocolate Malted Milk Ball and Vanilla Malted Milk Ball. Sooooo good and when I say good I mean to-die-for, toe curling good.

I only had one cylinder frozen so I had to break out the big guns for the second batch. Speaking of... I get a lot of emails asking about the ice cream maker(s) I use so I figured I take an entry to talk about them.

I actually have three different Ice Cream Makers...

a hand crank Donvier (a thrift store find for 50 cents I've had for 20 years),
the Cuisinart Ice-20 (my favorite),
and a Cuisinart Ice-50BC Automatic Machine (aka "The Behemoth.")

The story goes I was doing post weight loss surgery cooking demonstrations and I thought "The Behemoth" would be great for my demos because it didn't require me to freeze the cylinder the night before which hard to do when you are flying to a location. "The Behemoth" is an automatic commercial-style compressor ice cream maker, no freezing necessary. Good idea huh? Yeah I thought so too. Well so I ordered one. UPS delivered it. They left it on the front door step and when I went to bring it in the house I almost gave myself a hernia. It's almost 40 pounds... 36.2 to be exact. Hence the nickname it has been given. Not really practical to shove in a suitcase.

I'm no Consumer Reports but here's my review of the machines I own:

Donvier Hand Crank - Pros and Cons: Fun but only if you plan to make Protein Ice Cream once a year. Your arm will need to recover that long after cranking for 20 minutes. If you have kids and they broke your favorite Aunt's vase or something and need a fitting punishment have them use this to make ice cream. How it works: Freeze the cylinder, pour the stuff in and turn. Forever. Ice your arm.


Cuisinart Ice-20 - Pros: I heart this machine. Makes yummy Protein Ice Cream in 20 minutes. Lightweight and counter top attractive. Cons: you need to have freezer space for the cylinder and no making 2 batches unless you have an extra cylinder (I do but then you need even more freezer space) Also you need to have the cylinders always in the freezer you never know when you will want to make a batch. How it works: Freeze the cylinder, plug it in, turn it on, and pour the stuff in.


Cuisinart Ice-50BC - Pros: This is for hard-core ice cream lovers. Makes the best Protein Ice Cream. A super creamy gelato-like end product. No need to freeze anything so no fighting for freezer space with the mystery meat and frozen peas. No downtime between batches waiting for the cylinder to freeze again. Cons: Could damage your internal organs lifting it. Hard core price tag. How it works: Pour the stuff in, plug it in, turn it on.

Here's the two yummy creations...



Shelly's Malted Milk Ball Protein Ice Cream

1 cup Vanilla Soy Milk (or Regular Milk)
2 scoops Chocolate Protein Powder or 2 scoops of Vanilla Protein Powder
2 Tablespoons Malted Milk Powder (w/out sugar added)
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Vanilla)
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Malted Milk Balls, crushed

Place the Malted Milk Balls in a Ziploc and give them a whack with a hammer or meat tenderizer to crush the balls. Set aside. Mix together milk, protein, syrup & malted milk powder. I used this gadget to mix it up. It makes it airy and lump free. If you don't have one just toss it in a blender on super high. You want it fluffy almost double in size. Pour into ice cream maker. Follow your machine's instructions for freezing. 5 minutes before done add the crushed balls. You can eat it right away it is soft serve-ish but I like to put it in the freezer to set for an hour.

19 comments:

Nikki said...

Regarding the freezer space...this is why I have a chest deep freezer. I am always at the ready!

By the way, I rarely have to hand crank for 20 minutes. It usually takes maybe ten whilst I watch a little food network.

GastricGirl said...

Wow the malted ice cream sounds to die for! I can't wait to try it! :0

Caitlin said...

I think you usually use Torani syrups, but just thought I'd mention that I went to buy DaVinci Vanilla and got to the counter and they said they couldn't sell it because it had been recalled. No other flavours, just vanilla.

I was wondering--I have had a hard time getting my ice cream to fully freeze in the smaller Cuisinart model. Could I be adding too much ? Or do you have to leave it in for forever and a day ? Thanks for more great information !

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Caitlin, TY for the info. Yeah I use Torani for the most part I do have a few Davinci's SF Toasted Marshmallow and SF Pumpkin I think.

I have a page with ice cream making tips <--- in the quicklinks section on the main page but over night freezing of the cylinder should be fine. I double the batch most times I've never tripled it.

Hope that helps,
~Michelle

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hope you guys enjoy it. It's nice to have an option for us RNYers who can't do the real deal stuff without potential negative consquences plus the added protein doesn't hurt either.

~Michelle

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Sources for SF Malted Milk Balls: Winco Foods (bulk bin area), The Sweet Factory (mall candy store).

emilyahnna said...

Thanks for the info here on where to find the sf malt balls - that was my questions. I love the same ice cream make you do - mine is pink. We made your rootbeer float one this week - such a treat! Thanks for the recipes!

Emily

MexicanMarta said...

Shelly, have you ever considered writing a book, with all your tips and recipes?

gharkness said...

The Ice-20: "How it works: Freeze the cylinder, plug it in, turn it on, and pour the stuff in."

Hey, Shelley, you left out a step. Plug it in, turn it on SPRAY THE BOWL WITH NONSTICK SPRAY and pour the stuff in. This is not necessary with the Behemoth. I have one of them, too.

Recipe looks good!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

LOL do you really spray it??? I consider the stuff that sticks on the bowl tastes for the cook ;)

~Michelle

gharkness said...

Do I spray it? Absolutely! What tastes for the cook? The WHOLE thing is mine....and I don't want to have to fight to get it out :-)

Now mainly I just use the Behemoth, though.

Back when I was in the losing phase, seriously, I would make a protein shake, and freeze it like ice cream. Then it was reasonable to eat the whole thing because that was my whole meal.

Now I make my ice cream a bit richer and don't eat as much at a time. And I do eat what has frozen more solidly around the Behemoth's container as a treat for the cook :-)

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Health food stores should carry it... I have not found it in a store yet. I bought it online.

:) Hope you enjoy it!
~Michelle

Paula K said...

Hey Michelle,

I know you've seen me around on Twitter and all.. but we did meet once, with Becky in Temecula? There was another girl there with her son who had to leave earlier than planned. Anyway, I just started my own blog about my own WLS journey, and thinking about posting links back to your website for various recipes, and other posts that I think people would like to see. What would be the best way to go about this? I know you are copyrighted, and I want to make sure credit goes where it is due... if you want to check out my blog it is at http://paulaseverydayramblings.blogspot.com.

Thanks!
Paula

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hi Paula, Nice to hear from you. Speaking of we need to do that again soon. It's been too long.

Sure links back to the site are fine and much appreciated it's using content that I have issues with. ;) Thanks for asking. Looking forward to reading about your journey.

Let's figure out a day we can all hang out again. I haven't seen Becky in forever too.

~M

DeAnn said...

This is a little off topic...but I wish it was Friday midnight PST so we could know the winner of the contest...So exciting.

LAFoster said...

Maybe you need this one ...

http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2009/03/13/35000-liquid-nitrogen-ice-cream-maker/

Love your blog and your recipes! Thank you for sharing with us!

Caitlin said...

Thanks for the help !!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

@ LAFoster LOL come to momma hehehe. I want that.

MICHELMOBA said...

Hey Shelly - I agree with gharkness (although I never thought of spraying the bowl). I dont share my ice cream. I buy a gallon of breyer's for the rest of my house & the stuff I make in my machine is MINE, ALL MINE. I slap little fingers away if they come near my protien ice cream!