Sunday, March 1, 2009

24K Muffins

There should be a universal rule that every Sunday morning all houses should smell like fresh brewed coffee and fresh baked muffins. It just starts the morning off right.

Shelly's Carrot Raisin Protein Muffins

3/4 cup Spelt Flour
1/2 cup Vanilla Protein Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
dash of Salt
1/4 cup Raisins (I used a combo of Golden and Black Raisins)
1/4 cup Nuts, chopped (I used a combo of Walnuts & Pecans)
2 Tablespoons (plus a little for the top) Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
2 Eggs, beaten
1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
4 Tablespoons Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Vanilla)
2 Tablespoons No Sugar Added Apple Butter
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
1 cup Grated Carrot (measure 1 cup then grate)

Preheat oven to 350. Whiz carrot in a mini food processor till finely grated. Spray mini muffin tin with Pam and set aside. Mix all ingredients together till combined.

Spoon into muffin tin and sprinkle with a little more coconut. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes or until a tester inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.

Remove pans from oven. Allow to cool in the pan for 3 minutes.

Transfer to wire cooling rack to cool completely. Store in a sealed container to keep them soft and moist. Makes almost 30 mini muffins. The carrots water content will change this count slightly well so I guess I should title the blog entry 30k muffins but that just doesn't have the same ring.

More Eggface Muffins:
Shelly's Blueberry Protein Mini Muffins
Shelly's Mini Apple Spice Protein Muffins
Shelly's Banana Nut Protein Muffins


Molly said...

Oh yum! Can't wait to try these and I definitely agree that all houses should smell like coffee and baking on weekend mornings. Can I be your neighbor??? (Oops, I'm hearing Mr. Rogers in my head now.)


Kelly said...

Hi Shelly, I was wondering where I might be able to fine the Sugar free Torani Syrup? I live in Ontario if that helps!


Amy said...

Hey Shelly I notice your past few muffin receipes are using the Spelt Flour is this a new discovery and if so, do you like it better than your older receipe ingredients? Trying to decide if I want to make a 8 pound purchase from Amazon.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

LOL Molly. I used to teach and I actually met Mr. Rogers at a conference. He was super cool. Welcome... there's a house for sale across the street too ;)


Hey Kel, Ontario Canada or California I'm hoping California... Bev Mo Beverages and More (tons), Smart & Final (tons), Marshalls/Home Goods/TJ Maxx (random bottles), Supermarkets on the top shelf of the coffee aisle (Usually just SF Vanilla and Caramel), Starbuck's (sells all of there's ask at the counter),

HTH :)


Hey Amy, Yes. Spelt. I heard good things, high in protein & fiber, whole grain. I really like the taste! Love how it bakes. I'll be experimenting more with it.


Michele said...

Hi Shelly, I just have to do you get those cute little mini muffins out of the pan so perfect. I spay my but, but maybe I'm not spraying it enough. BTW: I LOVE....did I say LOVE..those mini Blueberry muffins. They are GREAT!!! Now, I'll have to try these...Thanks

oxox...miss you lady!!!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

(((Michele))) How are you? I spray the heck out of them. I'm a little heavy handed with the Pam. Bad for the ozone I'm sure :( Glad you like them. Hugs to you and Nathan!!!


P.S. My Mum says Hi!!! We have to get together soon.

OliveOilTan said...

My son was home from college for spring break this week. I always have some mini bites on hand & used my mini muffin tin to make some other goodies. He was so impressed he went out & purchased a tin for himself. He loves to cook & bookmarked EggFace on his mac.

OliveOilTan said...

Spelt flour? Never heard of. Will look for at Joe's. Do you have a recommendation for a substitute?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

You should be able to find spelt locally... but whole wheat or almond four would work I believe. Try and find the spelt... higher in protein and fiber ;)

Yay. I love my mini muffin tin. It gets a workout. Hope he wears his out too!


OliveOilTan said...

Well, I found the spelt flour at the local health food store. I made the carrot mini muffins since carrot cake WAS always my favorite. I mixed 1/4 c fage & 1 T of whipped cream cheese for a frosting. Delicious!!!!! Bringing them as a dessert to my daughters for dinner tomorrow!

Katie said...

I just made these and they are SO yummy! I had to improvise a little with some of the ingredients, but I can't wait to make them again with all the right stuff! Thanks!

Molly said...

Shelly, people often ask you about the nut. stats of your recipes. I took this recipe (with a few of my own changes) to the calculator at Sparkrecipes so it can be used in my food log database on For now, I have shared the recipe and included an address for your blog. Please take a look at it to see if you approve and if not, I'll unshare it. (The numbers came out superb btw!) Thank you!

Molly said...

Oh dur....I forgot to post the address of the recipe calculation! :smacking head:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I just would like to say thank you
for such a great blog site! my husband did
the lap band about 2 years ago and lost over
a 100 lbs! we love using your recipes and of
course your funny stories that go along
with the recipes. :-) We've shared your recipes
to other banders and RNY'ers we come across
in our support group.
Keep the recipes coming!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi there :)
I'm new to your blog and like you, had my "guts rearranged". Can you tell me what the nutritional stats are for your foods? Is it listed somewhere and I'm just not seeing it?
Thanks so much

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Dar,

I don't post the values though I figure them for most recipes. They all work on my plan (pretty strict on carbs, high protein, moderate fats)

How to figure out the values based on your ingredients (even changing a protein brand can change the stats dramatically):

Hope this helps.