Sunday, June 8, 2008

Happy Accident: Banana Nut Protein Muffins

This morning I started to make a batch of my Oat Bars and had mashed a banana for a different purpose in a mixing bowl on the counter. Well I was chatting and not thinking and the mashed banana ended up in my Oat Bar batter. After a couple of choice four-letter words I just went with it. I adapted the recipe slightly and ended up with these yummy muffins.


Shelly's Banana Nut Protein Muffins

1/4 cup Raw Almonds, ground
1/2 cup Steel Cut Oatmeal
1/4 cup Soy Flour (7 g. of protein per 1/4 cup)
2 scoops of Vanilla Protein Powder
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
dash of Salt
3 Tablespoons Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Caramel)
2 Tablespoons Almond Butter
1 Egg, beaten
1 Banana, mashed
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/3 cup Nuts, chopped (I used Pecans & Walnuts)

Preheat oven to 350. In a mini food processor whiz almonds, 1/4 cup of the oats, soy flour, 1 scoop of the protein powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt till fine. Add Torani syrup and whiz again. In a separate dish beat egg, mash banana, vanilla and almond butter together. Combine both. Add additional scoop of protein, the other 1/4 cup of oats and the chopped nuts.


Scoop (a mini ice cream scoop works great) into 24 paper lined mini muffin tins.


I sprinkled 12 with an oatmeal streusel topping before baking. Bake for 12 minutes.


Streusel Topping

2 Tablespoons Steel Cut Oatmeal
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Vanilla)
1/8 teaspoon Cinnamon
dash Nutmeg

Mix together and sprinkle onto muffin tops before baking.

My stats (24 muffins): 55 cals, 4 grams protein. Find yours: Go to fitday.com enter your ingredients and divide totals by # of servings.

6 comments:

SHATCHER said...

Oh my gosh...you always seem to do up a new recipe when I'm having a craving for something. This one happens to be banana muffins...I made some yesterday for my kids. Wish I would have waited because I could actually enjoy your version. My version has 216 calories & 16 grams of sugar :( but the kids love em!!! Guess I'll just have to buy some more bananas and not let the kids eat them!! Hugs

Barb Del Piano said...

These look FANTASTIC. Banana Muffins are definately one of my top 3 fav's! I will be buying the smaller muffin pans thru your website to! (and the smaller meatloaf/bread pans to!) CAN'T WAIT!

denise said...

These look delicious, but i have a sorta off topic question. I have been craving sausage balls. You know the great sausage, biscuit mix and cheese creation? Do you happen to have a suggestion to replace that biscuit mix? Just typing about them makes my mouth water a bit like Pavlov's dogs!! thanks, Denise

DCY said...

For some reason I have not been so keen on bananas since my surgery, but I used to love banana nut bread, so I probably will try these sometime soon.

I too would like to know if you have a WLS friendly recipe for sausage balls or it is time for you to come up with one. LOL

karendothoskin said...

mmmm delish. i made these last night. i didn't have the soy flour so i used spelt flour instead and i threw in a few raisins for good measure.

i just love your recipes. love love love them.

Carol said...

Sounds glorious! I'd like a happy accident if it's as good as this.