Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Bento Box Picnic

I heart picnics. They are one of my absolute favorite things to do. At the beach, at the park, under the electric stars in my backyard, heck on the living room floor is great too.

I saw this super cool bento box the other day and I had to have it. I figured I'd better break it in today because after a week or so of absolutely beautiful 80 degree weather it's supposed to get cold and rainy for a stretch.

I packed up some weight loss surgery friendly treats and my Mum and I walked to the the lake near my house. We found a table with a view, ate our lunch and enjoyed the last day of sunshine and warmth we'll be having for a bit.

Pink Box (top left): Mixed Nuts, Dried Apricots, Chocolate Protein Donuts
Orange Box (top right): Turkey & Roast Beef Roll-ups
Blue Box (bottom left): Variety of Cheeses, Jumbo Shrimp w/ cocktail sauce
Green Box (bottom right): Broccoli & Baby Carrots w/ Caesar Dressing below

"Life is like a coin. You can spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once."


Ammie said...

I just bought one of these at Whole Foods. I haven't used it yet but you've inspired me!

Donna said...

You so inspire me - checking out your blog has become a daily obsession! When my husband asks me what's for dinner and I respond "One of Shelly's recipes" he just smiles, because he know's it's going to be good! Thanks for paying it forward!

Gubblebum said...

Some of the moms on my playgroup message board are nuts about these boxes. I have been tempted to get one for myself since surgery. Did you know you can get all these cute accessories like hard boiled egg molds shaped like Hello Kitty?

Tiff said...

What a great idea... looks like a delicious picnic.

I have to tell you - I'd seen posts of yours on OH for a few years now, but only this week did I find your site. I am ashamed by how much I've been missing.

I was telling my husband last night about the steak puffs that you had for the super bowl.... I emailed him a list of ingredients, and he's picking them up as I speak. Can't wait to make them!


the smiling fat girl said...

what a cool lunchbox! makes me want to go on a picnic.

gutsinarut said...

Okay, I officially want a bento box. Seriously. Obsession has set in. I want one. I was just thinking how I reeeally love my cute little farm animal lunchbox I got from whole foods, buuuut everything gets squished in there! And then I see this post. And it's genius, pure genius. Down to the little sauce container.

Peevish McSnark said...

I saw the laptop lunchbox, and very nearly bought one, but they're SO BIG compared to regular japanese bento boxes. I find that when I pack a large lunch, I'm not satisfied unless I finish it, whereas when I pack in my traditional boxes (ok, also in my Happy Balloon or Puttifresh plastic bentos), I'm satisfied with the smaller amount.

Check out for some examples! And hey, with you being on the west coast, you've got a whole lot more Japanese stores to visit than I do! Daiso, for example!

I love the whole bento thing - it makes packing lunch fun, because I have to make it pretty!

Brenda said...

I love this menu for the Bento Box, but I have a question...has anyone found a shrimp cocktail recipe or product that is sugar free? Unfortunately I dumped once on cocktail sauce and I have had a hard time finding any without a lot of sugar in it. Any ideas?

V said...

I'm not even sure how I ended up here (i vaguely remember a pintrest post about pancakes in muffin tins) but suddenly I am obsessed with the Bento Box. I've called my kids in at least a dozen times quizing them on what they would and wouldn't eat.