Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Bento Lunch #2 & 3

I'm loving my new Bento Box.

Seriously every Mom should get one of these for their kids. Did you know a typical American school kid generates 67 pounds of discarded school lunch packaging waste per school year???

Think of all those trees :(

OK off soapbox

Here are my latest Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Bento Creations...

I shared this yummy lunch with my friend/boss Gail. Gail's a really good cook and she flipped over my Turkey Slaw so that made me happy.

Blue Box (top left): Shelly's Turkey Slaw (click on link for recipe)
Green Box (top right): Cutie Clementine Segments
Pink Box (bottom left): Olive Bar Goodies "Mixed Antipasto" (Marinated Beans, Mozzarella Balls, Grape Tomatoes, Grilled Artichoke, Roasted Pepper, Olives)
Orange Box (bottom right): Variety of Cheeses

Bento #3 was shared by my Mum...

Blue Box (top left): Shelly's Salmon & Cucumber Salad on a bed of Mixed Greens (recipe below)
Green Box (top right): Ham & Swiss Roll-ups
Pink Box (bottom left): Broccoli w/ Cilantro Dressing
Orange Box (bottom right): Gold Pineapple Chunks with a sprinkling of Malibu Passion Fruit Rum

Shelly's Salmon & Cucumber Salad

1 large English Cucumber, sliced
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
4 oz. Nova Lox, chopped
1/4 cup Fage Greek Yogurt (I use 2%)
1/4 cup Sour Cream
1 Tablespoon Cider Vinegar
1/4 Red Onion, diced
2 Tablespoons Fresh Dill, chopped
a few twists of Black Pepper
Mixed Salad Greens

Place cucumber in a colander. Sprinkle salt on cucumber slices and allow to sit for an hour. Combine all ingredients (except greens.) Refrigerate until ready to use. Serve on a bed of salad greens.

Bento #1


Tiffany said...

I'm loving the Bento Box vicariously! I'm going to have to look into that.. It looks so fun.

I just printed your turkey slaw recipe... sounds delish!

Thank you... for you!!
I'm a fan!


MindyNTexas said...

Where did you find the cute little lunch box ? I have not seen them before ? My son would love it ?

Tara said...

I just sent my 8 year old off to school with his laptop lunch box. It had ham cubes, grapes, baby carrots, pretzels, a string cheese and ice water in the drink bottle. He loved it.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thanks guys.

I bought mine on amazon but I understand Whole Foods carries them if you have one of those locally



Lisa said...

Boo hoo,Your link led me to Amazon and the product is all sold out and they do not know when they will have them in again. Nice lunch ideas too!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Try another seller just search laptop bento. I'm sure they will have one... they have a few different colors too. Pink, Blue, Red,...

blessedabundantly said...

I have these for my kiddos and they love them. You can get them direct from the supplier as well.

emily said...

When you have something sauce-y, does it spill or anything when not horizontal? I know it sounds dumb, but I don't know if I'd be able to keep it perfectly horizontal while commuting. It otherwise looks perfect!

Michelle "Shelly" said...


So far so good. I haven't dared soup yet LOL but everything else has stayed put. I am impressed. ~M

emily said...

Yay, that's good to know!

And Lisa, google Laptop Lunchbox - the brand has their own website that you can order from. Lots of color choices and accessories, too! The main reason I haven't yet is shipping costs (and a generally tight financia belt at the moment).

Michelle "Shelly" said...

When I ordered from Amazon I make sure I get a few amazon shipped items if you spend $25 everything else you buy is shipped FREE. Love that and they are great on returns.

Pam Perry said...

Love the turkey slaw and salmon/cuke recipe. I am having trouble putting "meals" together for me and my son. My mindset has always been meat/potato/veg or pasta or rice dish. Now, I am trying to think of more weight loss surgery friendly recipes that we can both eat. Like if you made the chicken carbonara recipe, what would you serve with it? Anything? I need to rearrange my thinking....

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Pam, Yep it really is about changing the "carby side dish" mindset. I try and beef up dishes with loads of veggies to make them hearty most don't need anything on the side but there's always salad.

Hope you guys enjoy it!


Connie in Maine said...

I just have to say that I love your blog. I look forward to reading it every evening and am disappointed when there is not a new entry (which, thank heaven, isn't often). You are such an inspiration to me and, I'm sure, many others with WLS. Keep up the great work!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Connie, Thank you! You just made my day! ~Michelle

Katie said...

We just ordered three bento boxes for the family. We're on the run a lot so I hope these work out great. I have one question though, a review I read said that these were worthless unless it was for a kid. For me and my daughter that isn't a problem, because I can't eat much and she doesn't. But for my husband, can it hold enough for him?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

No worries Katie... the one I use carries a HUGE amount of food... I share everytime and I'm totally full. If you can't share what I've been doing is putting say lunch and snacks in so I have a little lunch type food then later I can have some cheese or fruit or whatever. Have fun... I'll post my latest today sometime.


Diane H said...

Thanks so much for all ou do. When I start to think that I can't do this anymore, I just check out your blog and I'm excited once again. I just ordered my bento box, and am going to enjoy scouring through your recipes to plan my menu! Thaks again, you're the GREATEST! Hope to meet you someday. Diane in El Paso

Linda said...

I am going to order a Ms. Bento vacuum lunch jar from Amazon. I am still on pureed meals for a couple more days but I can always look ahead to the future. Your recipes look so great! I had my RnY on 3/4/09, I keep hearing that it gets better and I'll be able to eat again. :o)