Sunday, February 8, 2009

Healthy Breakfast Recipes: Chocolate Waffles

bliss (blĭs) n. a state of profound satisfaction, happiness or joy.

Oooooh yeah. Dean Martin (the epitome of coolness) tunes playing while the intoxicating scents of fresh perked coffee and chocolate waffles fills the house.

Now THIS is the way to start a morning.

Weight Loss Surgery Bariatric Surgery Fitness Health Recipe Cooking Food Blog
Shelly's Chocolate Protein Waffles

1 cup Almond Flour
1/2 cup Chocolate Protein Powder (I use whey isolate)
1/2 cup Multigrain Pancake Mix
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa
2 Eggs, beaten
3 Tablespoons Sugar Free Vanilla Torani Syrup
1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
1/2 cup Vanilla Soy Milk
Electric Waffle Maker
Pam nonstick cooking spray.

Variation: add 1/4 cup Unsweetened Toasted Coconut to the batter to make "Almond Joy" pancakes.

Heat waffle maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Mix all ingredients together till well combined. When waffle maker is heated. Spray lightly with Pam. Pour batter onto iron (amount according to your makers instructions). Put lid down and cook till done. My waffle stick maker has a darkness setting I set between 3 & 4 and it beeps when it's done. My maker makes 2 and 1/4 batches from the recipe (so about 19 waffle sticks.)

Weight Loss Surgery Bariatric VSG WLS RNY eating recipes blogThey freeze well. I wrap them in foil and then place them in a freezer Ziploc baggie. Just pull them out and toast them like you would Eggo's or any other frozen waffle. Smear 'em with Peanut Butter, Almond Butter, or sweetened Ricotta Cheese for a quick breakfast on the go.

Optional Toppings:
Sugar Free Maple Syrup
No Sugar Added Homemade Whipped Cream
Sliced Strawberries or Bananas
Peanut or Almond Butter
SF Torani or Maple Syrup sweetened Ricotta Cheese
Sugar Free Jam
Sugar Free Caramel Syrup

Oh and you can bet when the weather gets warmer I will be topping one of these with a scoop of Protein Ice Cream.

10 comments:

MichNH said...

Hey Shelly,
I took your microwave choc. cake and toasted it this morning for breakfast! I had it with banana and !/2 tea. of peanutbutter drizzled on the top. TOTALLY Yummy. This sounds good too! Love Chocolate for breakfast.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Yum!

OliveOilTan said...

where do you find almond flour? I have never heard of. Is this a Trader Joe's item or any grocery store? thanks

Michelle "Shelly" said...

OliveOilTan: *FYI: Almond meal and flour are both just ground up almonds. Almond flour is most often made with blanched almonds (no skin), whereas almond meal can be made either with whole or blanched almonds. The consistency is more like corn meal than wheat flour. I find that for the most part they can be used interchangeably. I mostly make my own by whizzing raw almonds (skin on) in my mini food processor or coffee grinder but this time I had a bag of Almond Meal from Trader Joe's (health food stores, Whole Foods, Henry's stores like that carry it) and used that.

Hope that helps,
~Michelle

dk0429 said...

And I thought I'd never be able to enjoy waffles again! Thank for this wonderful recipe!

talksoupslp said...

I don't own a waffle maker (and don't have room to store one if I bought one). Could I use this recipe to make pancakes? Or would it not work as well?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Nope this one wouldn't work as pancakes. But use the search box on the left under my before and after pic and type in pancakes you will get a few alternatives.

~M

Katie said...

I just made these this morning and they are SO good! I'm out of almond flour but I'm going to get some more and make a huge batch and freeze them! Thanks!

SueBGood said...

Hi Shelly - I am new to the recipes and started with, shocker, the chocolate waffles - when you have the comments in parentheses what does that represent - for instance - this recipe asks for 1C almond Flour, 1/2C Choc. Protein Powder, 1/2 C Multigrain pancake mix - do I use all three items or are you using the ones with (I use this) instead of the almond flour? thanks I can't wait for these for Sunday morning treats ;)

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Sue... you use all 3 in the recipe. The (I use this) is a link to an online source of the brand I am using.

Hope you enjoy them!!