This weekend

Last Sunday I made a yummy salad and ate it under my electric stars. It was so nice we did a repeat performance this weekend. The mixed baby greens are amazing and a new favorite score at the Farmer's Market.

Last night's salad...


Shelly's Santa Fe Turkey Salad

1/4 of a Yellow Onion, diced
2 Mild Green Chili Peppers, diced
2 slices of Turkey Deli Meat, chopped
Diced Avocado
Lettuce (I used a mix of baby greens)
Monterey Jack, shredded (you could use Pepper Jack too)
a few twists of Black Pepper
Storebought Balsamic Vinaigrette

Saute onion till golden. Add turkey and peppers and saute a few minutes more. Top greens with remaining ingredients and turkey mixture (cooled slightly.)

and for dessert...


Shelly's 5 Minute Sugar Free Black Forest Cake

1 Egg, beaten
3 Tablespoons Milk (I used Vanilla Soy)
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Black Cherry)
2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
3 Tablespoons Multigrain Pancake Mix (I use this)
2 Tablespoons Cocoa
1 scoop Chocolate Protein Powder
Pinch salt
1 Measuring Cup or Microwave Safe Mug

In a measuring cup or microwave safe mug, Mix egg, milk, syrup and oil and combine thoroughly. In a separate bowl, mix pancake mix, cocoa, protein powder and salt. Tip dry into wet and stir till combined. Nuke in microwave for 2 minutes. Let it sit for three or so minutes (it pulls away from the sides) before tipping the cake onto a plate. Yields 4-5 slices.


* I ran out of the pudding mix I have been putting in the other versions of this chocolate cake so I just left it out and bumped up the cocoa to 2 Tablespoons. I wanted to see what it would be like without it. It was great. I think I will be leaving the pudding mix out from now on. The taste was not compromised and it will be a few less calories. So hey can't beat that.


Highlights of the weekend:

* Wasn't quite the weekend I had planned ;) but it was awesome nonetheless. Great friends, family time, gorgeous weather, the beach, a scary movie, the Farmer's Market, crazy cooking experiments, meaningful conversations, LA preparations and oodles of coffee.

* Finally caught up on Amazing Race episodes. Are you watching this season? I love that show. It makes me long to travel. What I love is that I've never thought about going to some of the locations they visit until seeing them on the show.

* Got a hold of a microwave so there will be chocolate cake in LA. Are you going? There is still time. Can't wait to see everyone! Safe travels.

Listening to: "#41" Dave Matthews Band cause I have a gnarly headache and DMB always soothes me.