Saturday, September 13, 2008

It's the Bees Knees - Apple Raisin Protein Souffle

This was soooo good. A total bread pudding fix. My Mum loved it. Puddings topped with warm vanilla custard are very British. So fellow weight loss surgery Brits across the pond have no fear "afters" (desserts in the States) are still in your future.


Shelly's Apple Raisin Protein Souffle

2 eggs
2 small Apples, diced
2 Tablespoon Raisins
3 Tablespoons Multigrain Pancake Mix, dry
1 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 cup Vanilla Soy Milk
1/2 cup Unsweetened Coconut, toasted
3 Tablespoons Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Caramel), divided use
1/4 teaspoon (+ a dash for tops) Nutmeg
dash Cinnamon

Topping: Sugar Free Maple Syrup or Vanilla Custard (see below)

Cook apples, raisins and 1 Tablespoon of the SF Torani syrup for 5 minutes on low heat. Set aside to cool. Spoon a tablespoon or so of the cooled apple mixture into each ramekin to cover the bottom of each.

Mix all ingredients (including remaining apple mixture) in a blender till smooth.


Pour mixture into 4/4-oz ramekins or custard cups. Here's what I use.


If you don't have a groovy set up like this. Just place the ramekins in a large roasting pan. Place pan on oven rack and pour enough very hot water to come halfway up sides of ramekins. Sprinkle top of each souffle with additional nutmeg. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until set, knife inserted comes out clean. Serve warm or chilled with warmed SF maple syrup or vanilla custard on top.

British Foods Dessert
Shelly's Warm Vanilla Custard

2 Tablespoons of Bird's Custard Powder
2 cups Milk
2-3 Tablespoons Sugar Free Torani Syrup (choice of flavors*)

Mix powder into a smooth paste with a little of the milk. Heat the remaining milk to almost boiling and pour onto the custard mixture. Return the mix to the pan and heat till thickened (it will bubble). Remove from heat and put Sugar Free Syrup flavor of your choice in. Spoon over cooked Souffles. You can eat this as is warm (my favorite) or chill it and it will firm up like pudding.

*I used SF Vanilla Torani but Brown Sugar Cinnamon, Caramel, English Toffee, ooooh or Coconut would be yummy too.

10 comments:

Becky said...

I've been cooking some of your recipes like a mad woman on her last meal! My dad and I had gastric bypass, me 3 years ago him about 2 and a half. His girlfriend is one of the pickiest eaters, some things she won't eat at all, no matter what, drenched in cheese and butter, whatever, she will eat if I make it in one of those recipes! You are like, some kind of miracle worker. I was wondering though, if you don't eat leftovers, what are some things you eat for lunch? I've been having either a tortilla pizza or whatever, but I am the kind of person that does best with a menu. Keep it up, your recipes are wonderful and so helpful!!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hi Becky, I am so glad you guys are enjoying the recipes. I love leftovers. I sometimes eat them for breakfast but you know I like to transform things so you know dinner roast chicken becomes chicken salad the next day or chicken alfredo tortilla pizza. Things like that. Here's a good example of what I do: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2008/08/dinner-and-leftovers.html

~Michelle

Vikki said...

Oh my gosh, this looks amazing. I will have to see if I can't decarb this a bit more, maybe half apple have jicama and my low carb baking mix. This would be the perfect thing to serve for breakfast anytime, but for a holiday brunch ... perfection!
Thank you so much for sharing all our wonderful creations.
Btw I hope you don't mind, but you've just been tagged, see my vikkiskitchn.spaces.live.com blog to see details. Please don't kill me.
Vikki

Anonymous said...

Ok stupid question, is the mixture kind of "runny" after you put it in the blender? I tried these last night and actually added alittle more protein powder because it just seemed to thin. They turned out ok, but I doubt myself sometimes. Love all you recipes!
Jutannarn@yahoo.com

tara said...

Oh. My. FOODGASM. I just made these and followed exact instructions. Bread pudding is right!! amazing. I drizzled some heavy cream on top.... that was dinner. and maybe breakfast lunch and dinner tomorrow....

Freddie said...

Wow! This looks absolutely fantastic! I have been eating your other breakfast casserole every day since you posted the recipe. I love it and so does my skinny husband. I can't wait to try this one...apples and fall weather are a perfect match. Thank you so much! P.S. I LOVE cooking with soy milk.

Schmeesa said...

I made these tonight with some tweaks, and OMG they are amazing! I used calorie countdown milk and added some vanilla, and used the torani caramel syrup. For fruit, I put raspberries in the bottom of each ramekin instead of apples, and added some unsweetened applesauce to the batter. Oh, and I didn't bother with the water bath, just baked at 300 and they turned out great! Thanks SO much for this one!

unewillow said...

Shelly, please publish a cookbook because your recipes are TO DIE FOR!!! I made these with just a few tweaks (no raisins, caramel torani, 1% milk, and store brand pancake mix) and they still came out beautiful and most importantly delicious.

Lugenia said...

I've read a lot of your recipes but have never seen the nutritional values. Do you ever supply them? I'm post gastric sleeve and am on a very restricted 30 carb per day diet and have to know the carb count before I can eat it.

Michelle "Shelly" said...


Lugenia, Click on Links & Resources above to learn how to calculate the nutritional info on mine (or anyone elses) recipes.