Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Casseroles and Crack

This was a super yummy side dish. I served it last night for dinner with those Chicken Patties from Trader Joe's I reviewed awhile back. Tasty. I think I'll throw some grilled chicken in next time to make a main dish version.

Shelly's Squash Artichoke Pesto Bake

1 Yellow Onion, sliced
2 Green Onions, diced
4-6 Mushrooms, sliced
3-4 baby Zucchinis and/or Summer Squash, sliced
1/2 Cup Alfredo Sauce (I used jarred)
2 Tablespoons Store bought Artichoke Pesto
1/2 teaspoon Greek Seasoning
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
1/4 cup Italian Blend Cheese, shredded

Saute onions and mushrooms till golden. Add zucchini, turn to low heat and cover for 5 minutes. Stirring once or twice. Add artichoke pesto, Alfredo sauce, and seasonings. Pour into a Pyrex casserole and top with cheese. Bake for 30 minutes at 350.

I ate 1/2 of what is pictured below...

I've said it before and I'll say it again... I seriously think the creator(s) of the BMI Formula were smoking crack. So Tuesday is my weigh-in day. I had surgery on a Tuesday morning in 2006 so it's the day I picked to weigh each week. I can't do the everyday thing. I don't want to see little water retention glitches. I want to see the real deal. Everyday weighing would make me crazy. Once a week weigh-ins are a pleasant experience most weeks.

Anyway... I lost 2 1/2 pounds this week. (at over 2 years out so screw those "windows of opportunity" for weight loss stories)

But... the BMI chart says I'm still "moderately overweight" because I'm a short shit and even though I'm wearing size 4 jeans and did get into a pair of 2's this weekend BTW but kind of hurt myself in the process LOL... the chart says I need to lose 4.9 more pounds to be "normal."

Being normal is highly overrated.

Seriously though if I got my inner thigh lift I'd probably be down 10+ more pounds. If you've had an inner thigh lift email me would you and let me know the good, bad, and the ugly. I'm still debating. You know... it's hard to go under the knife when it's more cosmetic this time than medically necessary and you know my theory has always been if someone other than me is getting that view they better love me for more than my inner thighs. Comprende?

Highlights of the Day:

* Mmmm Breakfast. I made another version of those little souffles with dried fruits and nuts. It's the same recipe as the original version but with dried cranberries, blueberries, raisins and walnuts in the base.

* Got my tickets booked for Philly... excited. Besides meeting everyone which is so cool. I must take a picture next to the Rocky Balboa statue ;) cause I'm cheesy like that. Speaking of cheesy... locals need to start weighing in on who has the Best Cheese steak. I won't be indulging in the Amoroso rolls but bring on the gooey cheese and meat.

* Environmental Karma points. I bought a cordless electric mower. My stinky old bad for the environment gas powered mower bit the dust finally so I went green.

Listening to: "Westside" TQ


Shari said...

Hook up with me in Philly-- I have a gift for you! -Shari (Jupiter)

Flying Sarah said...

How has a fattie been to Philly 2x and NEVER had a cheesesteak...oh wait...I was too fat to walk my ass over to get one or to stand in line at the place across the street. I did have some tasty cannoli's and chocolate covered potato chips from the little the train station...Redding Market maybe?

tara said...

Interesting on the bmi chart. I guess ya never know, huh? For my height ( 5'7) I can be up to 159 to be 'normal'. Beyond that I am overweight. My goal is 145, I don't know if I'll be able to comfortably get there though (no plastics in my future)

whimsicalchaos said...

Well it is either Genos or Pats... and they are across the street from each other... so take some friends and compare lol...

I would be so happy to lose 2.5 in a week... but for some reason my body really loves to stall... but congrats that is really awesome... and normal is boring... hehehe!

cschoen said...

The 2 cheesesteak places that really are the best known are Pat's and Genos ( There is a constant ongoing "battle" between the two places - I think they even have relatives in common. (I can't give you my opinion - I keep kosher so I've never had!)

To other great places to visit for any foodie are the Reading Terminal Market (
and the farmer's market at Head House Square (which is near the historical section):

Have a great time, guys which I could be there!


Jeanne said...

Oh...I just have to weigh in on the cheesesteak debate. I am a Geno's girl all the way. We were just recently in Philly and flew back with whiz steaks from Geno's to share with another friend who used to live there. I am SURPRISED they made it all the way home! LOL. Have a great time!

Anna1916 said...

South Philly girl born and raised, and hands down, ya gotta go to Pat's. Learn the lingo - my steak is Whiz Wit Out (cheese steak with Cheez Whiz without onions) - and you'll get through the line faster!

And when you tell the cab to take you to 9th and Passyunk (which is where both Pat's and Geno's are), make sure you say it right, or they'll know youse ain't local! (it's Pash-yunk)!

Debbie Y. said...

I am 5'4" and I have to weigh 145 to be normal. I am aiming for a goal of 150, then have the tummy tuck. I now weigh 173, so 23 more pounds. The surgeon said he thinks the tummy tuck could take off 20 more pounds, which would put me at 130 and he thinks that is a little bit unrealistic. He thinks I should set my goal for 160. If I am not being too forward, I would like to ask how much weight you lost with your tummy tuck? You don't have to answer if you don't want to. A couple of friends of mine lost only 10 pounds after tummy tuck with similar weight loss patterns as mine. I don't want to stop at 160 and then only have 10 pounds lost through tummy tuck. I would then have to lose another 5 to 10 pounds to be "normal." And I want to be normal.

Tanya said...

Girl....all these recipes look DELICIOUS! You are the BOMB! I'm gonna print them out and try them. Thanks for posting!!! :)

Tanya aka "CoronaRN" on myspace.

Di said...

I vote for Gino's for a cheesesteak. We think that Pat's a bit too greasy.
I will be out of town when you're here. Hope to catch you next time around.

Melanie B said...

I'm wit Anna, Pat's is the place hands down. It also goes along with your Rocky theme since the scene with him eating his cheesesteak is AT Pat's and there is a plaque on the ground to proove it. Geno's is way too glitzy for a cheessteak place. They claim to be the "cleanest" in town and they may be....but Pat's is TRULY the bomb. Do not be fooled by imitations and get suckered in to Jim's or any of the other tourist traps on South Stree. (gag) For me I'm just shy of 4 weeks out so my days of enjoying cheesesteaks are on hold indefinetly.

I bought my tickets today and look forward to "meeting" you in Philly (well it's really Conshohocken)

Barb Del Piano said...

Think of me in NY when you take a photo with the ROCKY BALBOA statue. I love everything that slurring bastid' stood for in that movie! GREAT MOVIES 1, 2 & 3 after that...ZZzzzzzzzzz! (Size 2....DON'T EVEN GO THERE! I am still hiking up my 48'S!)

Miss August said...

Definetely Pat's or Geno's. Try them both and share it with some friends.

BTW, I love your recipes. My DH (dear husband) is PostOp day 13. I can't wait until he can eat regular foods and I will be using your recipes.

Is there a cookbook in the near future? I'll buy one for sure.