Friday, March 7, 2008

Chocolate Monkey Bars

I made another version of my Banana Nut Breakfast Bars. I added raisins and a little more nutmeg and made a Chocolate Caramel Drizzle for the top. They have no white flour and no added sugar. I hope you like them.

Shelly's Chocolate Monkey Bars

1/3 cup Raw Almonds, ground
1/3 cup Steel Cut Oatmeal
1/4 cup Soy Flour (7 g. of protein per 1/4 cup)
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
2 Tablespoons Almond Butter
1 Tablespoon Cold Butter
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4 cup Nuts, chopped (I used a combo of pecans and walnuts)
1 egg, beaten
1 Banana, mashed
1/4 cup Raisins (I used 1/2 yellow, 1/2 regular)
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used Caramel)

Mash banana and beat egg and set both aside. In a mini food processor whiz almonds, oats, soy flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder till fine. Add almond butter and butter and whiz again till incorporated. Add to egg and banana mixture. Add SF Torani syrup, raisins and chopped nuts. Mix well.

Pat with a fork into 5 x 7" baking dish that has been lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Cool on wire rack. Cut into 6-8 squares. Drizzle with Chocolate Caramel Drizzle. I love them cold out of the refrigerator.

Chocolate Caramel Drizzle
10 Sugar Free Chocolate Baking Discs or 5 little Bars
10 Sugar Free Caramels (Brach's is one brand that makes them)
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Soy Milk

Nuke SF chocolate, caramels and soy milk together till melted about 30 seconds. Stir to combine. Drizzle over cooled bars. Helps clean-up if you put the wire rack on top of a tray, cookie sheet or piece of newspaper.


Wendy said...

can you tell me what steel cut oatmeal is? I see it on packages, but I don't know what is means and why it makes the oatmeal better....?

Michelle said...

Sure Wendy. The way I understand it is Steel Cut Oats are whole grain groats (the inner portion of the oat kernel) which have been cut into two or three pieces using steel discs. Nothing has been added or taken out.

Rolled oats (like Quaker Oats) are flake oats that have been steamed, rolled, re-steamed and toasted.

Due to all of this additional processing they have lost some of their natural taste, goodness and texture.

You can totally taste the difference when you make a bowl for breakfast and once you eat a bowl of McCann's Steel Cut you will never buy the old dudes in a cylinder again but in baking if you aren't worried about losing the nutrients you can use the rolled stuff.

BTC said...

That looks yummy - can't wait to try it.

On another note, you show on your website "Just the Cheese". I see you can buy it thru amazon, but where can it be bought locally? I would like to try it before I buy a case of it.

BTC said...

Michelle - Am I the only one who can't seem to find sugar free caramels? I haven't been to every store in town yet, but if they are available here (Chapel Hill), they're not widely available. Any suggestions?


Michelle said...

Hey Betsy, I buy the caramels at Winco Foods but I'd try Sweet Factory (candy store in the mall) they have a pretty extensive SF candy section or Smucker's makes a SF Caramel Sauce (jarred) you can buy online.

The Just the Cheese... no clue Vitamin Shoppe maybe? I sampled it first at an OH event.

Anonymous said...

Tried your Caramel Drizzle's! WOW! These are Fantastic! Thank You for yet ANOTHER GREAT Recipe!

Anonymous said...

what is parchment paper, I remember somewhere you said it's not wax paper, am I correct?