Breakfast

I have no problem coming up with quick weight loss surgery friendly lunch and dinner ideas but breakfast has been an issue. I generally rotate between steel cut oatmeal, cottage cheese pancakes, fruit salad with cottage cheese or eggs. All of which take some time to prepare and some mornings I just don't have the time. Pre-op I would have hit Starbuck's bakery case or the donut shop. Post-op I know better. I was looking for a quick grab and go breakfast. I messed around in the kitchen today and came up with these.

I'm calling them Shelly's Banana Nut Breakfast Bars. They are not overly sweet (no sugar added) think a cross between banana bread and a granola bar. One of these and a protein shake and I'm good to go.


Shelly's Banana Nut Breakfast Bar

1/3 cup Raw Almonds, ground
1/3 cup Steel Cut Oatmeal
1/4 cup Soy Flour (7 g. of protein per 1/4 cup)
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon Nutmeg
2 Tablespoons Almond Butter
1 Tablespoon Cold Butter
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4 cup Pecans, chopped
1 egg, beaten
1 Banana, mashed
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used Caramel)

Mash banana and beat egg and set both aside. In a mini food processor whiz almonds, oats, soy flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder till fine. Add almond butter and butter and whiz again till incorporated. Add to egg and banana mixture. Add SF Torani syrup and chopped pecans. Mix well.


Pat with a fork into 5 x 7" baking dish that has been lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Cool on wire rack.


Cut into 6-8 squares. Drizzle with Caramel Drizzle or spread with SF Strawberry Jam.


Caramel Drizzle
15 Sugar Free Caramels (Brach's is one brand that makes them)
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Soy Milk

Nuke SF caramels and soy milk till melted about 30 seconds. Stir to combine. Drizzle over cooled bars.