Monday, October 15, 2007

Protein Shake Tips: Icky Brown Gack


For those who hate their protein shakes here's some tips:

Keep sampling different types you are bound to hit on one you can tolerate eventually. It took me 8 months but I found one I love. I would so suggest getting sample sizes that way you can try a few without spending a bunch on a big tub and finding out you hate it.

Some sites that sell sample sizes or travel packets. E-mail some of the protein companies directly and request freebies (mention you are a bariatric patient) I've scored some this way too. When you are in stores like the Vitamin Shoppe or GNC ask for samples. I found some of my favorite this way. The girl at GNC mixed me a shake in the store. Go to events like Your Weight Matters National Convention and OH they have exhibitors that give out samples.

You can try the protein I use: JE Lean Body for Her, Celebrate Protein 20, Celebrate Vitamins ENS, Chike Nutrition, Oh Yeah RTD, Premier Protein RTD, Syntrax Nectar Sweets, etc. Shake and smoothie recipes I make are in My Favorite Protein Shake Recipe page but...

I have found protein to be such an individual thing. In the beginning I would have people tell me "Try my protein it's soooo good" I would race out to the store and buy it. I'd mix up a shake and just know if so & so loved it this one will be "the one" well it wasn't the one. In fact, some of the protein supplements people said were sooooo yummy I thought tasted like a monkey's ass.

Try making your shakes with water versus milk or 1/2 milk 1/2 water or switching to lactaid milk or soy. If you are having trouble it might be a lactose/milk intolerance. I'm a soy or water girl. Milk is a ticket to rolling around on the floor with cramps and pain for me. Switching to soy made a world of difference. Test a few different options.

Get creative and add stuff to your shakes: SF Syrups, fruit, spices, sugar free pudding mix. See my favorite protein shake & smoothie recipes page for more ideas.

Get a sippy cup or one of those travel mugs with a lid so you don't have to smell it as you are drinking. The smell always got to me first. I use this and I love it or I use a shaker bottle I can run errands and take my shake along. It's great for traveling post-op too.

Disguise it. In the beginning I hid protein in sugar free pudding, SF cocoa, thinned cream of wheat, yogurt, coffee, oatmeal, soup, applesauce. Shoot whatever you can. There are unflavored protein powders but unfortunately unflavored does not mean tasteless it means without a flavor like chocolate or vanilla so it's useful for hiding in soup.

If all else fails better aim for foods high in protein. I ate chicken for breakfast in the beginning to avoid drinking some of the shakes. Be sure to get your protein in though because hair need protein and burning fat requires fuel. Your body needs protein and the quicker you get to your Dr. recommended amount the better.

These are some of my protein go-to's:

chicken
beef
cheese
crab legs
lump crab
scallops
smoked albacore
smoked salmon
fresh salmon
tilapia
flounder
halibut
shrimp
turkey mignon (bacon-wrapped turkey)
turkey meatballs (Foster Farms frozen 18 g. of protein for 3 balls)
ground turkey
gyros
low sodium cold cuts
beans
pouches of tuna, crab
Greek yogurt
peanuts & almonds
protein powder

Still on liquids? Here's some ideas.
Still on pureed? Here's some ideas.

7 Protein Packed Grab and Go Breakfast Ideas
10 Favorite Protein Sources

But ultimately... read this message that set me straight. Warning it's tough love.

30 comments:

Pat said...

The puking pumpkin pic was interesting -- disturbing, but interesting. I'm waiting on insurance approval for my WLS. Thanks for the cautionary tale (and graphic picture) about what protein-deprived looks like.

Chakragirl06 said...

Still having trouble finding my "yummy protein" mix. I think unjury is okay.......but if I can just eat my way to the protein amt. I'm a happy camper! I will do almost anything to avoid that awful "icky brown gack"!! I love the greek yogurt though, thanks so much. I'd be lost without Trader Joe's and the Fresh Market! I have to drive about 1/2 an hour but it's sooooo worth it!

Girl, you truly are my HERO!!!! I know your big day is almost here. I can't wait to find out how your PS goes! I really already know with your positive attitude that it will go great and you'll be home entertaining us with yummy foods soon!! You are a wealth of information!! Really someone should give you a TV show, move over Racheal Ray.........we've got our Eggface!!!

~Big Hugs, Steffanie

Michelle said...

LOL Pat. Best wishes for a speedy approval process. Can't wait to hear you have a date.

Michelle said...

Steffanie, Thank you! You made my day. Isn't Fage great... don't forget to use it to make savory dips for veggies too. Knorr mixes or add spices like curry or dill.

Anonymous said...

Michelle,
Been thinking about you and knowing that your day is fast approaching. I'm sending you hugs and all the best wishes I can send from so many miles away. I think Steffanie said it well "I really already know with your positive attitude that it will go great and you'll be home entertaining us with yummy foods soon!!".
I'll be praying for you,
Tara

Becky said...

I was wondering what kind of protein you use, both to drink plain and mix. The one I use (Champion Pure Whey) gets REALLY frothy even if you shake it. If I mix it, it's horrible and I can't do it. Not to mention I can't stand the taste. EW!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

I use Max Protein. Here's the info:

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/06/my-favorite-protein-shake-recipes.html

Leigh said...

Thank you for this post. I am hating the protien.

Anonymous said...

The pumpkin was funny ... another good idea for protein other than beef is buffalo ... leaner than beef but still tastes like beef. I really like it. A little expensive though.

Eileen

TerriB said...

I'm really struggling with this one. I have to use soy because of a milk allergy. It means that I have to get in 100 mg of protein a day instead. It's next to impossible right now. I have the GNC Soy protein and I'm freezing it and then mixing it with some soy milk plus a little sugar free syrup. It helps but I'm struggling. I made some chili and took my magic bullet to it and it seemed to go down better and by my best bet calculation has about double the protein of the amount of shake I'm getting down.

Anonymous said...

jUST WHEN I HAD GIVEN UP ON PROTEIN MIXES I FOUND YOUR SITE. I COULDN'T KEEP ANY SHAKES DOWN EVEN THE SMELL OF THE DRY MIX ITSELF MADE WANT TO HURL. i CHECKED OUT YOUR PROTEIN AND DEBATED WHETHER TO BUY IT. I AM SO HAPPY I DID. I LOVE IT. I HAVE TRIED SEVERAL DIFFERENT WAYS TO MAKE THEM AND JUST RE-ORDERED IT AGAIN ALONG WITH CHOCOLATE. THANK YOU FOR THIS SITE AND YOUR SUGGESTIONS. THANKS FOR BEING MY GUINEA PIG LOL.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Yay!!! I'm so glad. yeah Max Protein Rocks. I don't know what I would have done without it. Actually a pleasure to drink. Be sure to use the eggface code for 20% off (I don't make any money from it just scored it from the company)

~Michelle

Anonymous said...

I'm a newbie to this site, but not to WLS, had mine years ago and am now battling to get weight back off that I let creep up on me...but enough about me. Can someone tell me what's the diff between whey and soy protein? My Doc said soy (I remember because I immediately thought "No WHEY!" heh heh) but I'm just curious as to why.

Thanks!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

It's actually whey protein you want... specifically whey protein isolate. Soy protein is good but we absorb the whey protein isolate much better.

I use Max Protein

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2009/04/heads-up-max-protein.html

jessy81 said...

the travel mug idea is soooooooooooo good 4 those nasty protein shakes.........i HATE the smell! thanx Shelly, u rock! :):)

Anonymous said...

HI Shelly!!!

Which size blender bottle do you use?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Kelli Ann
maddblogger@gmail.com

Michelle "Shelly" said...

I think I use my 20 oz more than 28 oz. but I have both.

Suzanne said...

Michelle, just ordered Vanilla & Chocolate Max Protein (thanks for the code, it still works!). What is your feedback on the Strawberry flavored? I see you use strawberry for the doughnuts sometimes...will try them a little later on...I am just under 2 months out.

Thanks!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

I love it. It's Strawberry Nestle's Quik-ish but it you like a more natural strawberry flavor... add berries to vanilla ;)

Rachel said...

Hello! Im new here!!
I havent found another post to ask you my question, so doing it here.. Im in my two week pre-surgical diet. Im so nauseated, and also cant "stay off the toilet" if you get my drift...Its all I can do to get my protein shakes down..and I am only getting two a day in..Am I the only one that struggle(s) or(d) with this? Im just miserable.. any suggestions? And the hunger pains.. they are horrid.. will my body adjust to the lack of calories and food in a few days? HELP!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Rachel, It does get better... try and occupy yourself with other things. It will be worth it... remember too... liquid in = liquid out so after surgery when you are back on solids you will ummm TMI be more solid if you get me ;)

Liquid diet, or liver shrink as some Dr's call it helps the surgeon maneuver the tools during surgery without cutting things that they aren't supposed to cut. So eyes on the prize, stick to it and keep thinking of the future :)

Williern said...

My mother is a Dialysis patient. I cant wait to suprize her with a " good" tasting protien shake or ice cream. The Nephrologist is always asking her to increase her protein level. We have also gotten her many kinds of powder to try.... I dont know how she does it sometimes the smell gags me cleaning out the shaker bottle....
I may try them to loose a few pounds....... Thank you,
Willow.

hillcros said...

I was wondering if the max protein at this link is the same as what you use. The container is different and the nutrition label didn't look the same. http://www.seinutrition.com/products/MAX-PROTEIN.html

Michelle "Shelly" said...

When you call to order Max ask for the NON SOY version... they briefly changed the ingredients and you want the whey isolate casein blend. Not sure what cover bottle I think they changed to white.

Sally said...

Still searching for a protein powder I can tolerate. Really don't want to throw away another $35-40 if I don't like this. Have called all surrounding GNC's for a sample of Max Protein. Does anyone know how I can get a sample?

Also, Michelle, any plans for a cookbook? I am still figuring out how to keep your wonderful recipes organized! Thanks.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hi Sally, Thank you for the vote of confidence on a cookbook :) I am on http://pinterest.com/eggface/ and that seems like a neat way to organize recipes you might want to try in the future.

SEI Nutrition makers of Max Protein are on Facebook. I would message them with your zip code to ask where you can find their product locally.

Robin C said...

Tell me more about the Protein powder please. I hate to drink it but if this brand is good, Im willing to try. I am 3.5 months post op at -50 lbs but I dont eat much and I really need the protein. I dont like milky stuff so I need advice on shakes/drinks please. The powder I saw is not in the blue so where can I get it?






Robin C said...

Has anyone tried Unjury protein powder and if so, is it any good taste wise?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Robin C. Max protein comes in a white tub now... some of my favorites: SEI Nutrition Max, Celebrate Vitamins ENS (great for new post-ops), Chike Nutrition, Oh Yeah RTD's

Anonymous said...

I have & like it. I use the chocolate splendor mixed with instant decaf coffee, vanilla soy milk & ice cubes & the same eith the vanilla unjury. Pretty good!