Post Weight Loss Surgery Menus: A day in my pouch

A day in my pouch is a series of blog posts to show what a typical daily menu looks like in my post weight loss surgery world. Here's what I ate yesterday...

Breakfast: Mixed up a Double Stuffed Cookie Protein Shake (one of my favorites) in my shaker bottle to take with me as I walked around the Farmer's Market. I made it with soy milk but it's great with almond milk, water, whatever. It tastes basically like a liquid Oreo cookie. Yum.


More Eggface Protein Shakes and Smoothies

I didn't stay long at the market, it was sort of June gloomy. One spin around to pick up a few things for the week: asparagus, tomatoes, snap peas, onions, a 3-pack of blueberries, raspberries and strawberries, another small bag of cherries, avocados, and some citrus to add to the water I need to drink more of. I ran a few more errands around town... paying bills (ugh) and a final stop at Trader Joe's for a tray of chicken breast tenders for dinner.


Lunch: I was on a cleaning kick yesterday washed windows, dusted walls and baseboards... I know?! I must have been possessed. The inspiration doesn't hit me often so when it does I just go with it. I took a break outside with my bento lunch.


Pink Box (top left): Hard-boiled Egg sprinkled with Bagel Spice (basically all the stuff on an Everything Bagel without the bagel)
Green Box (top right): Cherries
Blue Box (bottom left): Peas and Carrot Stick Dippers
Orange Box (bottom right): Dill Greek Yogurt Dip (just Plain Greek yogurt with a dash of dried dill, salt & pepper)

More Bento Box lunches, FAQ's and an Online Source for them
My Bento Pinterest Page

Dinner: I was in the mood for saucy, cheesy Italian food deliciousness. This fit the bill perfectly. It's so easy with a few store bought ingredients, it's sort of a cross between Eggplant Parmesan and Chicken Parmesan but with way less work.


Shelly's Easy Eggplant & Chicken Parmesan

6-8 Chicken Tenders, slightly pounded
1/4 cup Spelt Flour
dash of Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
1 cup Marinara Sauce
1 (9.9 oz.) can Trader Joe’s Grecian Style Eggplant With Tomatoes & Onions
1/4 cup Shredded Italian Blend Cheese

Place first 6 ingredients in a Gallon Ziploc bag and shake till lightly coated. There will be a little leftover seasoned flour in the bag, discard it, you need a bit more in the bag to ensure good coating. Saute coated chicken in a non-stick pan that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray (or a little drizzle of olive oil.) Cook about 5 minutes each side till cooked through and lightly golden. Place chicken in a Pyrex casserole dish. Mix 1 cup of jarred marinara sauce (I use Rao's Tomato Basil) and 1 can of Trader Joe’s Grecian Style Eggplant With Tomatoes & Onions. It's sort of like Ratatouille or Caponata without the capers, both of which you could sub or roast some eggplant, onions, peppers and blend those in (not as quick though.) Mix the eggplant and sauce till well blended. Pour over chicken and top with shredded Italian Blend Cheese. Bake for 25 minutes till bubbly and golden.


I served it with cannelini beans. I just sauteed an onion till golden, tossed a rinsed and drained can of beans in, a twist of pepper and cooked till heated through.

More Eggface Healthy Italian Recipes

Snacks: Too much Coffee and a hunk of a Quest S'mores Protein Bar.


More Days in my Pouch



P.S. A little heads up: If you follow me on Instagram be on the lookout this week for one of my 1 Day Pop-up Giveaways.