Tuesday, June 3, 2014

5 Things to Do With Cold Cuts

Cold cuts (sliced deli meats) are a go-to in my post weight loss surgery world, a quick and easy source of protein. When shopping for cold cuts, choose lean meats that are low in saturated fat. Avoid packaged, processed meats that may contain fillers. Watch out for added sugars (honey glazed, maple cured, etc.) Look for those that are all-natural, lower-sodium, nitrite and nitrate-free (Boars Head and Applegate Farms are favorites of mine.) Your best bets include: Chicken Breast, Turkey Breast, Uncured Ham, Lean Roast Beef.

5 Things to Do With Cold Cuts...

Cold Cut Roll Ups Weight Loss Surgery Bariatric Cooking Food Menus

1. Roll-ups - Cold cut roll-ups are a quick and easy meal when you have no time. A slice of any cold cut meat wrapped around a cheesestick or pickle spear and I'm out the door, they are often the star of my bento lunch box, or part of my patio tidbit parties (click on photos for full descriptions.)

Weight Loss Surgery Lunches Food Gastric Bypass VSG Sleeve Recipes

Gastric Bypass Weight Loss Surgery Bariatric Surgery VSG Recipes Cooking Food Blog

I eat them cold or I especially love taking the extra time and making Melted Roll-ups. Nothing like ooey gooey, melted cheese.

Turkey Avocado Cheese Lunch Recipes

Ham Cheese Breadless Low Carb Grilled Cheese

2. Philly Cheesesteak - The quick version. This is great served as is, with a veggie side or I love it on top of a simple green salad. The whole meal takes less than 15 minutes from prep to eating (take that Rachael Ray) so it's great for hot, summer nights when standing in front of the stove is the last place you want to be.

Philadelphia Breadless Cheese Steak Sandwich Weight Loss Surgery

Shelly's Philly Cheesesteak Saute

1 Yellow Onion, sliced
1 Bell Pepper, sliced
4 sliced (approx 1/4 lb) of Roast Beef, chopped
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
a few twists of Black Pepper
2-3 slices of Cheese

Saute onion and peppers till golden and soft. Add beef (kitchen shears are great for chopping it up fast), Worcestershire, and pepper. Saute about 1 minute. Top with cheese and place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes till cheese is bubbly. Save any leftovers for #3 below.

Here's the casserole version (more ingredients, baked, makes a great chilly weather meal) and my stuffed pepper version

Weight Loss Surgery Bariatric Surgery WLS VSG RNY Dinner

3. Breakfast Bowls - Jimmy Dean watch out, there's no need to buy these, they are so easy to make and a great way to use up cold cuts like roast beef and ham: Shelly's Steak and Egg Breakfast Bowl - scrambled eggs topped with cold cuts, cheese, mushrooms and onions makes a super protein packed, delicious breakfast.

4. "Sandwiches" - Since I don't eat bread post weight loss surgery (my choice) here are some of my non-traditional sandwiches. Using cucumbers:

Weight Loss Surgery Bariatric Surgery WLS VSG GAstric Bypass RNY Recipes Food Cooking

or Savory Ricotta Pancakes

Weight Loss Surgery Bariatric Surgery WLS VSG Gastric Bypass RNY Recipes Food Cooking

5. My Egg Bites (aka Crustless Quiches) I have a few versions of egg bites that use cold cuts but these are two of my favorites: Shelly's New York Bites (aka Pastrami & Swiss on Rye Bites)

Cuban Sandwich Weight Loss Surgery Bariatric Surgery WLS VSG GAstric Bypass RNY Recipes Food Cooking

and Shelly's Cuban Bites (all the flavors in those pressed Cuban Sandwiches)

Weight Loss Surgery Bariatric Surgery WLS VSG Gastric Bypass RNY Recipes Food Cooking

Back to School Healthy Lunches Lunch Bariatric Surgery Fitness Weight Loss Low Carb

post signature


Loree Drawbaugh said...

Thanks for sharing with your protein recipes! I have lost 35 pounds since I had the bypass sleeves surgery since April 24th. you look great! I just joined gym and am excited to get into groovy workouts so I can reach my goals!

Pam Clark said...

I am so glad I found your blog! I'm being sleeved next month. I'm very nervous but also excited 2 start my new life. I can tell your recipes are gonna be a life saver. I already feel like I've learned a lot about eating healthier so thank you. Wish me luck!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thank you Loree. Congratulations on your -35!!


Best wishes Pam! Hope you feel the same way I do about having weight loss surgery... best gift I ever gave myself. Good vibes being sent.

Dawn said...

Thanks for posting about lunch meat. I'm about 5 1/2 months out and I'm finding it difficult to find something that doesn't bother my stomach. Boar's Head low sodium ham and roast beef from BJ's are the only ones that don't bother me. I'll look into the nitrate-free options.

Cherri said...

I love reading your blog posts! I was just wondering if there is any way to get the nutritional info on any of your recipients? My Dr has ordered strict calorie and protein monitoring.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thank you Cherri, Sure, enter the ingredients you use in a recipe calculator on a page like sparkpeople.com then divide that total by the # of servings you get from it. It's not exact but it's close. I don't put them on the recipe because... brands, % content of meat, etc. can vary the # dramatically plus what a long term post op eats versus early weeks/months... so it's better if you do it yourself based on your ingredients... and it's easy with those calculators... I will say they always work in my plan :)

AmandaPoston said...

Entering your awesome contest. Hope this is where I am supposed to do it lol. Amanda. Email Amanda_Poston@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Hi there. I am pre-op, VSG scheduled for 7/21/14. If I win, :) you can reach me at marlene.chavez@q.com. THANK YOU and Happy Anniversaries and Happy Birthday! ~Marlene

Kimberly Gibbons said...

I had RNY 3/7/14 I am always looking for new products to try. Love you site... kimgibbons412@gmail.com

Kimberly Gibbons said...

I had RNY 3/7/14 I am always looking for new products to try. Love you site... kimgibbons412@gmail.com

Donna Smith said...

I love this site you are awesome keep it coming

shirley philip said...

I am so happy to have this blog to refer to. I am just a few weeks away from my surgery and have been using this to get ready for afterwards...thank you ** philipsh3@comcast.net

Tammy said...

Post Op....1 year....Surg-iversarry was 03-2114. Have had my ups and downs. Love your site. has been very helpful with my journey........Tammy......aunt_2_8@yahoo.com

Marilyn Burleigh said...

I am on my clear liquid pre-op diet this week. VSG scheduled for June 27 (so my surgiversity will be one day before yours each year). I'm so glad I found this before I get to the point of saying, "I'm bored," when I get back to REAL food. Thanks. mb70789@hotmail.com

Heather Rooney said...

Tried the strawberry cannoli! HEAVEN! And the Italian meatloaf with mozzarella pearls. I never knew I would enjoy eating more AFTER having 85% of my stomach removed!

Lisa Casterline said...

Play-off 3 years for me! Congrats on your success and for being so helpful to so many! casterline05@gmail.com

Donna England said...

Love all your recipes that I have tried. D England.
Need all the help I can get!

Linda Edwards said...

I am so glad that I found this sight. I am very new to this as I am having surgery on July 1st and need as much support as I can get when it comes to food and things to do. The things here that I have read already are helping me.
Linda Edwards

Sherrie Hoffman said...

I can't thank you enough for all you do for us. The encouragement, delicious food and the effort you put into all you do.

Love the meat roll-ups! Sometimes I use olives (love olives) cut in 1/2 and roll them up with the meat and cheese.