Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Ramblings

My blog entry the other day where I mentioned my not eating pasta, rice, bread, white potatoes, crackers and chips post weight loss surgery (my choice) elicited a bunch of emails asking how to stave off the white carb cravings. I wish I had words of wisdom on this one but I'll just say this, it is much easier to detox if you never tox to begin with. I rarely have cravings for my pre-op demon foods because my body isn't fighting me, it makes it easier to keep the willpower part up. Here's a great article explains the science behind it. The day I signed on the dotted line for weight loss surgery I agreed in my mind to ax a few things. Those select foods (and really there aren't many) are just not an option for me anymore. Physically could I eat them? Sure, I don't doubt I could. That's the scary part.

Some people can do the moderation thing, I can for some foods, for others, errr not so much. If I had the occasional piece of bread from the bread basket, it wouldn't end there, I know me... the occasional would become the weekly, daily, with every meal again. Maybe some people are stronger than I am and can do it. Maybe they know a secret or are more enlightened since surgery. A lot of people claim to know the secrets and will sell you them in their e-books. Maybe they are fooling themselves, we addicts often do. Maybe they are still in the early stages when a bite or two feels like a buffet and they're thinking how can a few bites do any harm?! In the first year the pouch can only handle so much so those "just a bites" satisfy but sooner than you think you'll be able to eat more. Will you be able to stop at "just a bite?" that's something you need to answer for yourself. I am of the school that you can't continue the same behavior and expect a different result. So *my answer* is not to open the door on a few foods. At family gatherings or parties or on a restaurant menu I look for the foods I can have versus those I can't. At home I adapt favorites. It's surprisingly a lot of great stuff. So great in fact, that I often find the post-op adapted versions are better than the pre-op ones.

This is how *my journey* needs to be.

Signed,
post signature
Just the 2.5 cents (inflation) of another post-op trying to make it in this world.

18 comments:

Nanette said...

The way I look at it, bread and pasta are meerly vehicles, a vehicle that you use to haul the good stuff, the toppings or fillings. So I fix pasta for my family, but then I take some sauce and the meatballs or sausage and put it in a bowl with some ricotta cheese which thickens the sauce and eat that, no pasta, I let the fork or spoon haul it. If we are having sandwiches I take the bread off and eat the inside, thats the good stuff.
Now I like bread especially when it is fresh out of the breadmaker you cut that top slice and slather butter and cinnamon sugar on it, it melts in the crevices, but I would rather not have to take the medications I have stopped taking since surgery that to have that moment of joy. Besides publix makes a great fat free light cinnamon bun yogurt that tastes just like the icing mixed with cinnamon you lick off your fingers after eating a cinnamon bun.
So leave the vehicles alone and enjoy the walk.

colleen said...

I'm right there with you. Certain things I just won't eat again. After all it's partly those things that made me fat to begin with and I am NOT going there again...

Ms. Chunky Chick said...

I completely agree. I made the choice to be this way. I have decided there are foods that will no longer be in my vocabulary. ! very well spoken!

Kris Morales said...

I could have written today's post. I'm 3 months post op and that is exactly what I did. From the point I decided to have surgery a year ago, I swore off of pasta, potatoes, rice and bread. I know that I can't do "1/8 cup of mashed potatoes"... I do miss these things sometimes...but not as much as I thought I would.

Thanks for all your insight. I look at your blog each day.

Rob said...

even with WLS, there's no "one size fits all". It's about finding what works best for you...

Anonymous said...

Your post came at exactly the right time. I've been fighting what is definitely an addiction to carbs post-surgery. Had to ask myself on Sunday -- protein and hair or carbs and hair loss. Sad to say, carbs won out. Your post today, though, has given me the get-up-and-go to push the white stuff away from the table. Thank you! -- Bekah

Nurse Zamy said...

Wow, I needed to read this. Here lately I've 'over indulged' in refined carbs....for emotional reasons.
I AM an addict and shall remove them out of my life again!
Thanks for the inspiration!

~Zamy

~Sandi @ This one time at 'band' camp... said...

Great analogy and I also do not eat bread of any kind or pasta...I still do potatoes once in awhile but that is it...I absolutely love your recipes, you're amazing!

Pouch Party said...

Hi Shelly,

Thanks for standing up for doing things the way they work for YOU! Too often, people don't do that and instead follow the status quo. You rock!

I can moderate bread, pasta, rice (well...correction...I don't do pasta and rice because they make me sick and thus far I have no problem eating bread only once in a while). Thanks for posting this!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this. I understand as an addict I also like to push the envelope, hard.

But I really don't want to gain the 90 lbs I have lost back. I love your blog and appreciate you input.

XO,
Lauri

leendadll said...

One of the things I liked about the lap band option is that it makes certain foods, like bread, virtually impossible to eat again. I needed that external control. If I have a little bread, I'll eat the contents of a bakery.

However, chocolate - and most candy now that I think of it, is not a problem for me at all. I can have a little piece and stop. Or none to start with. Doesn't matter.

But starches in general... oh, how I love thee. I'm still deciding between total avoidance, even of the items my band allows (pasta), and whether I can self-control. Right now, it's too early to tell.

Peggy said...

I've been thinking about this. Good point, won't have to detox if you don't tox to begin with. For me sugar and flour/bread products won't be entering my body soon. Thank you for continue to inspire me all the time.

Peg "LAMom"

PS Think I'm goin to book Vegas now. Should be recovered enough from surgery by then.

Mary Miller said...

I have a similar attitude, and I am doing very well at 6 months post-surgery. Other people I know are struggling with food issues and are upset at what they cannot have.

Shanda said...

My surgeon has put me on a strict diet which is preparing me for after surgery. He says no bread, pasta, tortillas, chips, crackers. Basically no proccessed carbs. So I am going through lots of withdrawals. I haven't had any in a week but I definitely have been on a roller coaster. Did you do yours post-op or pre-op and did you have any side effects at first?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thanks for the support guys. It's what I have to do.


***

Shanda, I had open RNY so ate normally till the night before surgery. I eased off all white simple carbs in the first 8 weeks. So by the 8th week they were gone... 4 1/2 years + now.

Band Geek said...

I just wanted to say I LOVE your blog and I can't wait to try some of your recipes! In the past, I have made some protein muffins in the mini muffin pan, so I'm really excited to try to your egg bite recipes!

Anonymous said...

Shelly, Just wanted to say that after MANY attempts with TONS of various proteins, I have found that MAX is perfect! I actually look forward to having a shake during the day! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

I did vanilla MAX this morning with soy, water, 1 tsp of natural peanut butter, and and 1 tbsp of Torani SF Chocolate syrup: it was AWESOME!!

I tried to post to your Facebook wall and add as a comment but I would get an error for both.

Ian

Girl From Three Birches said...

Ahhhh this is brilliant... I'm a white carb fiend as well and can't wait to turn off that switch once and for all... not being a moderation kind of person I will have to be much like yourself, which is why your recipes are so awesome. I plan to wean off these carbs for next three weeks then it's shakes for a month pre-op, then... well, we'll wait and see but change is coming. :)