Monday, December 5, 2011

Strawberry Cannoli Santas

My ultimate favorite post weight loss surgery dessert are my Strawberry Cannoli. Packed with protein for us but so yummy they get gobbled up by non-ops without out a thought to them being a "healthy" dessert. Here's my holiday version...

Shelly's Strawberry Cannoli Santas

What you need:

12 Large Red Ripe Strawberries, washed
1/2 cup Ricotta Cheese
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Vanilla)

Mix ricotta and Sugar Free Torani syrup together till well combined. Set aside in fridge. Prepare the berries. Cut the hull off the top of the strawberries so they sit flat (that's the bottom.) Cut the tip of the berry off... that's Santa's hat! I hollow a little out of the berry for the cannoli filling to gather.

Spoon some cannoli filling onto the berry about a teaspoon or so. Place the tip (hat) on top and spoon a little more filling on the tip of the berry to finish his hat. Give Santa 2 Sugar Free chocolate chip (or raisin, currents, nut) eyes. Viola. Santa Cannoli. This is not really a make ahead dish but they assemble super fast. I'd make it an easier go by having the filling made ahead (up to a day.)

I'll be making a few of these for Santa on Christmas Eve for sure. After all those fattening Christmas cookies he is faced with I'm sure he will appreciate this healthy holiday treat ;)

My Original Strawberry Cannoli
My Red, White & Blue Patriotic version

Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas!

post signature

14 comments:

Sheila said...

So cute...I am loving all the "faces" you are putting up lately. :-)

~Oct said...

Those look so delicious and so inventive! Love it.

Jenn said...

These are adorable! I'm definitely going to be making these. :) Do you know how much protein is in each one?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

:) Hope you guys enjoy them

@Jenn, It would be whatever your ricotta cheese protein grams are per 1/2 a cup, divided by 12.

www.mytinytank.net said...

These are brilliant! I can't wait to make them they will delight my son. Shelley I love all your creativity. Thanks

Jen said...

So adorable (and tasty too)!

I am going to make these for Christmas Eve as a tasty treat for me!

Suz and Allan said...

So cute and they have fruit so it's healthy, right?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Absolutely healthy... no added sugar, protein, low carb, can't beat it!

Anonymous said...

Have you ever made your own Ricotta?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

No but I saw a show not to long ago and it's super easy! I may try one day... it's just the quantity that stops me... you can only use so much as a WLS post op.

Kelly said...

These look great. What is a serving size? One or two?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Kelly, Depends on your Dr's post-op plan, how far out you are. When in doubt, print it out and ask your medical posse :)

Lisa said...

I made these for a post Christmas get together and they were DELICIOUS!! I can't thank you enough for all of your recipes! You are a genius!

Anonymous said...

I really like these Santa's.