1. Had a fun shout out this week: Remember last year's Halloween Bento. It was featured in this month's Laptop Lunch Box Bento Newsletter.
More of my super groovy bento box creations (oodles of lunch ideas)
2. The Treat Yourself Right Giveaway continues through Sunday. Be sure to hit this link to add your name to the hat to win an AWESOME Basket of Celebrate Vitamin goodies. Tell your pals about it on Facebook for an extra shot at the prize. I'm excited we have a ton of great giveaways coming up in the next few weeks.
3. Heads up: Kay's Gluten Free Protein Snack Sale. Up to 30% off (see link for details and discount code.) My favs: Protein Cookie Bites (like puffy Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal) and Protein Cereal (Crunchy O's in 3 flavors - great sprinkled on yogurt) are part of the sale. Nom nom nom.
4. Something I read this week worth checking out:
Political affiliations aside I loved The Obesity Society's Position Statement on the recent criticism of New Jersey Governor Chris Christie's weight.
"A person’s body weight provides no indication of an individual’s character, credentials, talents, leadership, or contributions to society."
A little perspective for those who continue to hate: 34% of the U.S. adult population is obese. When you make inappropriate and hurtful comments or jokes, sneer or treat someone differently, don't hire or promote someone, or one of the countless other ways we are maltreated and stigmatized. Realize this: the stats say someone just did this to your Grandma, Mom, Pop, Sister, favorite Uncle.
5. Heads up on a cool new product: Curly's Sauceless Pulled Pork & Pulled Chicken. I picked up the Pulled Pork the other night. Found it in the refrigerated meat section. The sauceless part jumped out at me. Perfect for RNY Gastric Bypass -ers that may dump on convenience products like this that are usually dripping with high sugar barbeque sauce. Without sauce you can control the amount you add or not add. Rock on Mr. Curly whoever you are.
Verdict: It was super yummy. Pre-cooked in it's own microwavable tray (no work), just nuked for about 4 minutes and shred it with a fork. It's a lot of meat, 3/4 of a pound, so plenty for a family or several meals.
Nutritional Information on the Sauceless Pulled Pork:
Serving Size 2 oz.
Fat 10 g
Carbs 2 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 10 g
I used just a few tablespoons for dinner last night...
Shelly's Pulled Pork Tortilla Pizza - Mission Carb Balance Whole Wheat Fajita Size Tortilla topped with a smear of BBQ sauce, Curly's Sauceless Pulled Pork, sliced Green Onion, a sprinkle of Mozzarella Cheese, and after it was done I topped each slice with a Pickle Chip. How to cook Tortilla Pizzas.
OMG soooo good.