Sunday, May 22, 2011

Cool Product Alert: Goat Cheese

Packed up my super cool bento box and stared at the ocean yesterday. It is my zen zone and someplace I go to press my personal reset button. I need to do it more, just an hour or two staring at crashing waves (cute surfers are a bonus) and I feel soooo much better. Free therapy.

My view...

My delicious protein packed picnic...

Pink Box (top left): Shrimp with Lemon and (in the little blue box) Cocktail Sauce
Green Box (top right): Sliced Cucumbers (smeared the goat cheese on these)
Blue Box (bottom left): Trader Joe's Goat Cheese Medallion and (in green silicon cup) Almonds
Orange Box (bottom right): Baby Carrots

I use regular cocktail sauce. If you dump easily there are some Sugar Free options out there. I just use the regular old stuff in moderation. No slathering. A dab will do ya.

I spotted the little goat cheese medallions on my last trip to Trader Joe's. Similar to those little mini bries I love and blogged about awhile back. Each individually wrapped medallion is 1 oz. a perfect size for us post weight loss surgery people – 70 calories, 5 grams protein each. If you haven't had goat cheese before. Don't be afraid. It's delicious. Cream cheese like in texture. Mild and yummy.

Each bag contains 6 medallions/$3.79 a bag. I will definitely be adding these to my Pantry Essentials List. Looking forward to making a goat cheese tortilla pizza one day this week and stuffing cherry tomatoes with it this summer when the tomatoes from my garden are in full swing.

More Eggface Bento Box meal ideas

post signature

Listening to: Good Life by One Republic. Perfect timing.

10 comments:

SunnySusan said...

I love all your bento box lunch ideas.




This looks like a beach near me,Carlsbad State

Michelle "Shelly" said...

It is! Tamarack :) Howdy neighbor.

Planning a Temecula Old Town Meet-up (Lunch, Chit Chat) soon I hope you can make it. I'll post info on the blog & www.twitter.com/eggface

SunnySusan said...

I'm in Oside...I am not a WLS girl..is that ok....

Jacquie said...

I miss Trader Joes! None here where I live in FL but I used to go there often in NY.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Susan, Absolutely. All will be welcome. Scouting some locations this week. Will keep you all updated.

***

Jacquie, I am an ex NYer and my brother lives in FL :)

baseballmom said...

you have to try goat cheese with roasted beets, it is so yummy. Had it as a side salad at a local restaurant and made it at home. you have to add a little milk ( a few drops) until it is creamy and pipe it on the beet slices. Heaven

Sandy said...

I love Trader Joes! Though I'm bummed that they discontinued their defatted peanut flour!=( Any suggestions on a replacement? I've done the PB2 and love it but the one from TJ's was so much more affordable and lasted longer.

amy said...

I love goat cheese. The closest Trader Joes/Whole Foods to me is 2 hours away in Ann Arbor MI. We do have a Health Foods store here that is similiar to them. I'll have to see if they have the equivlent.

We don't have oceans here, but lake and I spent some time near the lake on Saturday myself.

Thanks for always giving me good ideas.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Sandy,

Keep requesting it at TJ's because they do bring things back (mine is still carrying it as of yesterday - I think its a regional thing)

Camping supply or emergency supply stores (local or online) carry powdered peanut butter in bulk... same stuff basically. Freeze it in smaller containers so it lasts.

***

Thanks Amy :)

Anonymous said...

Oooh...Goat cheese and sun dried tomato pizza...running to make it tonight!