Protein Packed Bento

Spent most of the day outside yesterday. I was working on a project for my pal and I figured I could do it cooped up inside in the house or work on the patio in the sunshine soaking up Vitamin D, warming my bones and breathing fresh air. Wifi is one of the best inventions ever. I blazed through the project... must have been the atmosphere or the good protein packed fuel I brought out in my super cool bento box.

Pink Box (top left): Shelly's Strawberry Cannoli
Green Box (top right): Leftover Grilled Chicken
Blue Box (bottom left): Shelly's Zucchini Pesto Pie
Orange Box (bottom right): Salsa, Shredded Cheese, dollop of Fage Greek Yogurt for dipping chicken

I made this yummy quiche-like casserole for dinner and pilfered a little square for lunch. Oodles of protein, super tasty, and soft so it would be a perfect meal for early weight loss surgery post-ops.

Shelly's Zucchini Pesto Pie

3 Zucchinis, sliced
1 Yellow Onion, diced
1 (15 oz.) can Chopped Tomatoes, drained well
1/2 teaspoon Garlic, minced
5 Eggs, beaten
2 Tablespoons Storebought Pesto Sauce
1 Tablespoon Fresh Basil, chopped
1 cup Ricotta Cheese
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
Olive Oil for sauteing

Saute zucchini and onions till golden.

Add tomatoes and garlic and cook 1 minute more. Set aside to cool. Mix together remaining ingredients.

Add cooled veggies holding back any liquids that may have rendered from them. Mix till well combined. Pour into a Pyrex casserole dish that has been sprayed with Pam non-stick spray.

Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or slightly golden & knife inserted comes out clean.

While I was sitting outside I was thinking about this year's garden. I really need to get things planted this weekend. I'm just doing tomatoes and herbs this year. I'm never really lucky with much else. I'm going to do a ton of tomatoes though, lots of varieties, heirlooms. Nothing like a warm tomato straight from the garden or homemade sauce. Anyone planting a garden this year?