Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Crepe Escape

I love to have breakfast for dinner. Eggs and bacon or ricottage pancakes. Last night I made sweet crepes. I was talking to my friend Heather (a post weight loss surgery tweep) and her family does breakfast for dinner once a week. They call it Blinner. I love the name. So here was my Blinner last night...

Shelly's Crepes

2 Eggs, beaten
1/2 cup Soy Milk (I use Silk Vanilla)
1/4 cup minus 1 Tablespoon Water
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Vanilla)
2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
1/2 cup Spelt Flour
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
dash of Salt

For savory crepes: leave out the SF Torani and use 1/4 cup water.

Blend all ingredients on low till thoroughly combined. Pour into a bowl, cover and refrigerate for a half-hour.

Spray a non-stick 8 to 10 inch crepe pan with Pam. Pour 1/4 cup of the batter into the pan and twirl it around to spread the batter in a thin circle.

Cook till top appears dry and flip. Cook a minute or so on other side. Repeat till all batter is used. While you are making them you can keep them warm in a low oven 200 degrees or nuke for 20 seconds before serving. Makes 8-10 crepes depending on size of pan.

Yes, you can use a fry pan but crepe pans with their shallow sides make the process so much easier.

Sweet Filling Ideas:

Sugar Free Torani Sweetened Ricotta Cheese
Storebought Pineapple Cottage Cheese
Sugar Free Torani Sweetened Greek Yogurt
Greek Yogurt with added Protein Powder
Other Greek Yogurt Dips
Defrosted Frozen Fruit
Fresh Fruit (Peaches, Blueberries or Strawberries with Sweetened Ricotta or My Apple Pie Innerds)
Warm Sugar Free Jam or Jelly
Warm Sugar Free Maple Syrup
Protein Ice Cream
Peanut Butter or Peanut Butter Yogurt Dip
Sugar Free Chocolate Sauce (Mmmm warm with Banana it's heaven)


Angelyco said...

What is the pink stuff on the crepe in the first picture?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Top crepe: Fage Greek Yogurt sweetened with Sugar Free Raspberry Torani Syrup.

The middle crepe: Sugar Free Maple Syrup

Bottom crepe: Sugar Free Orange Marmalade with Pineapple Cottage Cheese

Ashley said...

I like your recipe -- a healthy alternative to regular dessert crepes. Thanks for sharing.

Fat2Fit said...

I recently discovered savory crepes. They're amazing! I have been wanting to experiment with making my own crepes so I purchased a crepe pan last weekend. I love that I now have a WLS-safe recipe. Thanks so much for posting your creation!
Southerners call breakfast for dinner, "Brinner." I actually had brinner tonight. So good!

Shylah said...

Hey, do you have Smart & Final down there? If so, you should check them out for your SF syrups. I stopped by there today and found the big bottles of Torani SF syrup for just under $5/bottle. Thought I'd let you know, since you use the stuff so often. :D

Michelle "Shelly" said...

I was asked "Why Spelt?" yesterday on Twitter. Thought I'd leave my answer here for those that are wondering:

Spelt is a whole grain. Higher in protein, lower in carb than most other flours. Replaces at a 1:1 ratio with white flour unlike soy, graham, almond, etc. High fiber too. I like the taste.

Miss Soul said...

num, num, num, num....

Odalisque said...

I was wondering... have you tried using coconut flour for any of your recipes?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

You could probably use coconut flour in this recipe because of the eggs... but generally coconut flour can't be used in a 1:1 ratio to regular flour and spelt flour can.

Renee said...

Thank you so much for having this blog!

You have taught me many things from it, the two major ones being that life after WLS is not boring food wise and the other is that I can actually cook! Your recipes are easy to follow and the pictures help me so much!

I just made these crepes tonight and they are wonderful! Even my fiance who doesn't really like eggs in anything loves them!

OliveOilTan said...

Shell - can you freeze the batter if you don't use all of it? how long do you think it will keep in the fridge? Before my WLS we went ot Greece & ate these with Nutella & bananas. now w/ SF chocolate & a fet drops of hazelnut SF syrupe, & baanans they are just as good!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Yay Renee so glad you guys enjoyed them ;)


Oooh OOT that combo sounds wonderful. I'm not sure on the freezing part but I have made all the crepes (makes about 8) and then put them in the fridge for a couple of days taking them out as needed. They reheat well... nuke 30 seconds. Next batch I make I'll do a freezing sample of a completed crepe and the batter.

Theresa said...

Yumm made my first Crepe today. Don't know why I stayed away so long. I guess because I was scarred I would mess them up but they were easy and sooo yummy. I put a little softened cream cheese sweetened with a little SF vanilla inside and a drizzle of SF chocolate on top.

Susan said...

Shelly, I've said it one, twice, and probably 100 times............THANK YOU FOR YOUR PASSION!

I finally got a crepe pan recently and made these for dinner tonight. I filled them with sweetend cream cheese with SF caramel syrup and your apple pie innards with a dallop of FF whipped cream and SF Smuckers Caramel topping..........My family went crazy for them!!

I have missed a sweet breakfast treat for so long and you have given that back to me.

Again a thousands THANKS

Michelle Bukowiec said...

Can you use regular white flour or wheat flour in your recipe. I had my wls 3 months ago. I want to try out your recipes :)

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Yes, wheat flour will work fine. I prefer spelt because of the flavor and protein content.