Friday, November 6, 2009

Scalloped Scallops

Spotted a cool new product at Trader Joe's the other day. Saucy Scallops with Mushrooms. $4.99 for each 16 ounce bag found in the frozen section. It's basically scallops in a creamy mushroom and cheese sauce.

You can just heat & eat. The bag suggests tossing them on some rice or pasta but since that was out for me (don't do either by choice) here's what I came up with. It's super yummy, scallops have oodles of protein (4 oz. = 23 grams), add that it's super fast to put together and you have a keeper...


Shelly's Scallop Casserole

1 Cauliflower, broken into florets
1 Yellow Onion, diced
1 (16 oz.) package Trader Joe's Saucy Scallops with Mushrooms
1/2 cup frozen Peas
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
1/2 cup crushed Soy Crisps
2 Tablespoons Parmesan Cheese, grated
1 teaspoon Butter, melted
Olive Oil for sauteing

Boil cauliflower till fork tender. Drain. Set aside. Saute onion till golden.

Add scallops mixture, peas, seasonings and cook on low for 5 minutes. Add cauliflower and mix to combine.

Pour into Pyrex casserole dish. Mix butter, crushed soy crisps and cheese. Sprinkle on top of casserole. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes till golden.

I served it with a simple green salad.

9 comments:

d said...

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! And I was just at T.J....darn it! I will add this to my TJ list for my next visit!

Robin said...

Yummy!!!!! I am gonna look for that next time we're near a TJs! I love scallops. But, are those peas I see in it? That's one of the few veggies I won't touch. I'd have to pick those out. *wink* (Don't think I won't either... hehe)

Anonymous said...

Shelly, You may not have saved my life but you saved my health post-WLS. I can't eat much dense protein ( = meat) and post-surgery, most protein drinks tasted disGUSTing, even if palatable before.

Thanks for the MAX Protein recommendation, too. Gave away all the rest (this woman's monkey ass was someone else's tasty treat LOL).

Keep on cookin" and thanks 4vr

Anonymous said...

THAT looks incredible! Too bad there isn't a Trader Joe's near me. I think there is one over in MASS- where I often go in the summer. I will have to plan a stop there!

Chelsea's Mom said...

I am going to Trader Joe's today and will have to look for this! I am from Minnesota and so we love our casseroles (or "hot dishes" as we call them!). This looks delish! Thanks again for continuing to bring us tasty and healthy ideas!!

altopower said...

That looks yummy! How many servings? I'm still on liquids but am saving up ideas!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hope you guys like it!

***

So glad you enjoyed the Max Protein. It really does make post weight loss surgery life more enjoyable.

***

Trader Joe's is a fun store and surprisingly lots of WLS friendly choices. I have a shopping list on the blog of what I buy there be sure to take it along & a cooler.

***

Altopower, I don't put serving sizes or nut info on my recipes because more can vary wildly...

What I eat as a almost 3 1/2 year post op will be very different from a 4 month post-op so I let you & your Dr/or nutritionist determine that.

Nut info is the same... on my plan I use full fat cheese, full fat mayo, butter, olive oil, others may use low fat cheese or horrors that non fat toxic waste, what percentage % fat of beef, etc. Change something and the #'s swing like a pendulum.

What I do when I need to find the nut info is go to fitday.com type in each individual ingredient, add those totals and divide by the # of servings I get from the dish.

Hope this helps,
~Michelle

Anonymous said...

This is definitely a popular item at Trader Joes. I went to 3 stores this weekend and they were all sold out : (

They told me that I would have to wait for their next shipment from the warehouse. Waaaahhhhh.

OTOH, I found that Smart & Final carries sugarfree Torani syrups for about $4.50 a bottle. Woo Hoo!

Celeste

Chelsea's Mom said...

Oh man..this stuff is WONDERFUL. I finally found it at Trader's (it was hiding from me) and made a small portion last night - of just the sauce and I topped it on some tortellini. I also added some steamed asparagus to mine and mmmmmmm...delicious! I'll try making the casserole/hot dish another time. Just had to try it last night! Thanks!