Friday, October 30, 2009

White "as a Ghost" Chili

Our spookilicious Halloween Eve lunch...

Shelly's White "as a Ghost" Chili

1 Maui Onion, diced
3 Green Onions, diced
3/4 lb. Ground Turkey (about 1/2 a package)
3 cloves Garlic, minced
2 (15 oz.) cans Cannelini Beans, rinsed & drained
1 (4 oz.) can Diced Mild Green Chilies
1 teaspoon Cumin
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 (15 oz.) can Chicken Broth
1 cup Water
1 Tablespoon Multigrain Pancake Mix (I use this)

Optional toppings: Shelly's Spicy Yogurt Dip, Cilantro, Shredded Cheese.

Saute onions till golden. Add turkey and saute till no pink is seen. Add garlic cook 1 minute more. Add beans, chilies, seasoning, broth & water and simmer covered on low for 30 minutes. At the 25 minute mark in a little bowl mix pancake mix and a few spoons of the chili liquid together to form a paste. Stir into chili. Continue to cook remaining 5 minutes. Serve topped with Shelly's Spicy Yogurt Dip, Cilantro, and Shredded Cheese.

Great served with Vampire Bites (aka any of my crustless quiches these are my Pizza Bites)


Anonymous said...

i haven't tried the chili although it looks delicious! i justed wanted to thank you for your website. i really enjoy reading it. i had gastric bypass 9/28 and you have shown me food can still taste good you just have to be a little creative! have you ever considered putting together a cookbook? you really should, you are very talented.

Stephanie said...

You use Maui onions a lot... do you actually order them from Hawaii or are you able to get them locally in a store? How are they different from say a Vidalia or regular yellow or white onion?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

TY for the vote of confidence ;)


Steph, Eeek no. LOL can't even imagine how expensive that would be... my Farmer's Market has everything. Maui Onions are way sweeter than yellow onions. Vidalia is a great sub. Any sweet onion. I rarely use white onions. Too sharp. Some Mexican dishes I will but rarely.

I mostly use Maui, Yellow & Green.


More than a mom said...

I made this chili but used diced chicken instead of turkey. I'm still in the pureed stage of my post-op diet but it was still SO GOOD!! Thanks for sharing this (and all of your other recipes!). It helps to know that having tasty food isn't over just b/c I've had wls-I just need to prepare it differently.